Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-04-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
Just finished installing a ballast system using 2 Jabsco Ballast Puppies. One pump fills the side bags and the other fills the front bag in the ski locker and a bag under the rear seat. The front and rear bags are vented, as I can't easily see them however the side sacks are not as they are on the floor. The pumps are mounted horizontally in the rear of the boat and the thru hull fitting is on the transom (one for each pump). I am having an issue with the front and rear bag empting when we are wakeboarding. How is this possible? Is there somehow that the flow of the water on the transom creates a vacuum or moves the impeller to empty the bags? If so how can I stop this? There is not really any room for a ball valve between the pump and the thru hull fitting however I can fit one before the bags, or should I use an electric gate valve? Is it essential to have the shut off between the pump and the thru hall or as long as it is before the bags will it be ok? Does Jabsco specify if their pumps should be mounted horizontal or vertically and would this cause the problem? If I require a valve due to accessibility issues, the gate valve would be my best option but I would like to know on this type of system is a valve required or normally used? Any help on what kind of gate valve would be appreciated.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-04-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
Rob-
I am no expert in this field, but I am a little surprised. I thought that the Jabscos did not allow free flow of water through the pump like the aerator style pumps do. However, since trhat seems to be what you are getting, I think you are right that you need a shut off valve. If it were me, I would do both; a ball valve and an electric gate valve. If at all possible I would relocate the pumps to create space for a ball valve immediately inside the transom (for safety). Then, for convenience, I would install an electric gate valve between the pump and the bags. It should be a "normally closed" valve, that opens only when current is applied. Wire it to open whenever the pump is on. The best deal I found on these types of valves was from a company called STC. They were about $60 each. I have had 2 Jabsco Ballast puppies, both mounted horizontally. One was actually mounted horizontally, but upside down. They both worked great in this configuration. I'll do a quick search again on those valves...
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-04-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
Here is a link to STC. They let me order directly from them and the valves arrived in just a couple of days. I forget exactly which ones I bought, but they were about $60 each. They will get you whatever you need.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-04-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
Here is a link to STC. They let me order directly from them and the valves arrived in just a couple of days. I forget exactly which ones I bought, but they were about $60 each. They will get you whatever you need.

http://www.stcvalve.com/I-Solenoid-spec-2W-2S.htm
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-05-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Are they new pumps? Bad impeller? You can pull the impeller and make sure its not damaged, missing fins. Those pumps should not allow free flow when they are not on. Try moving the pump to a higher location, not right at the through hull. Maybe on the back of the seat in the rear storage area. It's very strange that it's not doing it with both pumps.
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-05-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Sam and Malibu Monkey. I agree it is very strange and I thought it should not be happening. The pump is as high as it can get so it can't be moved however perhaps it is the impeller so I will have the shop check it out. Sam I have one inch lines any idea which valve I should use? A few years ago you sent me info on your ballast system from your old Sunsetter, did you use this valve on that system or did you incorporate it into the new system/ boat? Does the stock malibu ballast have a shut off valve on your new boat? Thanks
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-06-2007, 12:25 AM Reply   
It is very easy to check the impeller yourself, if you so desire. You just unscrew the front cover, and there it is. Do the pumps seem to pump water in both directions at a good rate? Be sure to lube up the impeller blades with a little vaseline when you re-install the impeller.

I ordered 2 of the 2W200 3/4" valves. They cost $62 each. They made sure that they installed a 12V DC coil on the valves so that it would run off my boat's power supply correctly. I spliced the wires into the same wires that run the drain pumps, so the wiring was very easy. My setup in this boat is different though, because the stoack Malibu system uses separate fill and drain pumps. I did not need to use these valves on my old Sunsetter ballast system, because the pump was stopping water movement when it was off. You would want the same valves, just in a 1" size. The stock Malibu system in my 2004 WS 23LSV has ball valves just inside the hull, but no electric gate valves. It works OK with the way they designed it, but when I added bigger rear sacs they wanted to drain inadvertantly. I solved this with these valves. Good luck!
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-07-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
If I understand you correctly, the only thing standing in the way of the water getting back to the thru hull on the transom is the impeller. Think about 500 lbs of force being applied to that impeller. When you put the boat into gear and give it gas you force the water back towards the impeller. I am willing to bet that if the pump was mounted forward of the bag you wouldnt have this problem. In addition if you make the fill hose rise and then drop down to the bag the water will not have a straight shot to the impeller and will apply less pressure thus keeping them from allowing water through the pump.

I have had a similar problem when emptying my bags. If I empty the front and one side at a time it tends to push water through the other rear pump since that is a shorter path than the thru hulls which are higher. Path of least resistance.