Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-05-2004, 5:49 AM Reply   
Gerson and I took an offer to work in Orlando, Florida in the aftermath of Hurricane Charley and now we are watching Frances pummel Orlando through our (hopefully) secure hotel window.

I hope that if you or anyone you know is within Frances' rage, that you are safe and dry and remember, roofs, fences, drywall, etc. can all be replaced. Wakeboarders cannot.

I think I prefer earthquakes!

Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-05-2004, 5:52 AM Reply   
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-05-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
Louise- You are so correct about dealing with earthquakes instead of Hurricanes.
No around here believes me about that though.
I keep telling them that with all the earthquakes that I've been through, it's always been sunny and no rain.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-05-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
Louise, our thoughts and prayers are with you. My brother also lives in FL. Here in the Pacific Northwest, I'll stick with earthquakes and the occasional volcano
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-07-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
Don't get me wrong.... Hurricanes do suck. But we have ample warning and i'd rather have my tree's knocked down than to have the earth open up and swallow me whole !!
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
Well, at least with Hurricane Frances, there is a lot more water to wakeboard here. Areas that were just small ponds are glassy lakes today...
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-07-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
Eric - How's that any different from sinkholes that already occur without notice throughout FL?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
are they that common Phantom, because ive never seen or heard of one where im from in NW Fl?? Oh and by the way the ones i have heard about in the southern parts opened up so slow people had plenty of time to "get out the way ...get out the way" :-)
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-08-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
If i'm not mistaken, sinkholes open up to resemble a swimming pool.....I can deal with that(unless it's under my house)......earthquakes split open to the center of the earth !
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-08-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
A few sinkholes have taken houses in recent weeks. If they're big enough they will resemble a pool since most parts of the state aren't that much higher than sea level. A couple weeks ago, in Winter Springs, a guy was upstairs in his "bonus" room over the garage and heard the house splitting in two. He grabbed his kids and got out. His garage sank five feet last I heard and his neighbors house was unstable.

I think there will be a lot more sink holes in the coming months. With all the rain that soaks through the ground it creates changes in the earth, but the sinkholes typically don't occur until the sub-terrain dries out somewhat from what I understand.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
How this for a swimming pool...

http://landslides.usgs.gov/html_files/landslides/slides/slide10.htm
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-08-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
I couldn't find any cool pics of earthquakes where the earth opened up and swallowed a car or something....but I saw it on the movie Superman, so it's gotta be true!
Old    moh2o            09-08-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Try doing a search on the amount of devastation inflicted by hurricanes on the East Coast and earthquakes on the West during the last 50-100 years. But then again I really hate having to straighten all the pictures on my walls every 20 years or so.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-08-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
I don't know man, during that '89 earthquake I did have a light fall over in my bed room. It didn't break though...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-08-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
yeah. that big bad 89 earthquake made my box of legos spill over and it made a big mess.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-08-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
http://www.sinkhole.org/
http://www.sinkhole.org/news.htm

They aren't really called sinkholes in CA, they're called Fault line separations
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-11-2004, 5:31 AM Reply   
How about this earthquake rift...don't see any houses in it though...