Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
Ok so I am ready to install a new impeller on my 03 Sanger which has not been done yet at 100 hrs . I am generaly fairly good with my own wrenching and I have searched thru out the engine compartment but I cannot seem to locate where it is . My engine is a 350 MAG MPI . Any help on the location and any advise on the install would be appreciated .
Thanks
Old     (gvanorde)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Follow the inlet hose, it will lead you to the impeller housing.
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-29-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
this is where mine is... not sure if this helps.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-29-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
JTW, you're probably having a hard time finding it, because it's in the worst possible place you can imagine.

Actually, I'm not sure where it is on a V210, but look somewhere in the 2 inches of space between the belts, and the transom.

My buddy and I changed the impeller on my X2 at 300+ hours (on original impeller!), and it was very, very difficult.

The key to the whole thing was a long pair of needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend on the end.

You'll probably also need somebody with little skinny girl fingers (like my buddy), that can get a hand in there to force the impeller in.

Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help . The pic gets me in the right direction .
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
Joe, next time try some lube. I personally use two pairs of needle-nose vice grips. Getting the old one out is always a biotch. Putting the new one in should be cake. Especially on an indmar motor.

Also I have heard but never tried: Someone told me to remove the cover, then turn the key and barely click the motor over. Apparently this helps
dislodge it.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       09-30-2005, 12:24 AM Reply   
Actually, pull the safety laynard and crank for a couple of seconds. After spraying some wd40 or something in there for lubrication.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-30-2005, 3:05 AM Reply   
changed the impeller on my 99 moomba (indmar DD) and it was a peice of cake...as a matter of a fact, I did it in 5 mins while the boat was sitting in a "borrowed" slip with the owner wanting to get in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
great idea troy.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-30-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Wade, give me some more details on that. Where is it, process, cost, etc? Please email me so we don't hijack this thread.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
DD's are a piece of cake, V-drive are a pain. the actual mechanical process of replacnig is easy it's the location of everything on a v-drive. you could change the impeller on a DD in 4 foot sweels if you needed too.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-30-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
JTW, I have the same engine and have replaced it twice. The encircled picture is corrrect but obviously in a D drive.
The book calls for a 2 hour job. The first time I did it in my slip 1 hr 50 min. The second time in my garage 1 hr 10 min.
For me, first remove the serpintine belt from the pully. 2nd, remove the complete water separator filter with it's mounting with it's hoses intact(on the other side of the near white colored rectangular fiber glass board (about 3 x 4 inches) also shown in the pic above). Removing this will give you a lot more room to work in.
3rd, disconnect the 2 hoses and just remove the entire pump. Then rebuild on the bench is easy. I used some binding lube when I put it back together.

Good luck
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       09-30-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
J-Rod,

Got the idea from Gid (wassup). Makes the job a lot easier.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
JTW- Good advice from Duane. Remove pump from boat and replace impeller on the bench. Be careful not to overtorque the bolts when you put the pump assembly back together. Use small wrenches or ratchets so you do not overapply force. The material used in the housing can be cracked very easily. Use the binding lube on the interior surface of the housing as well as the impeller. Call me if you get stuck.
Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-03-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
I had to do mine twice this year. I am guessing the replacement was either defective or somehow something got sucked in there and toasted the blades. Both of mine where replaced while on the water and took 30 to 45 minutes with less than ideal tools. I also have a v-drive which makes access a pain. I removed the divider in the rear storage area on the side the impeller is located, then removed the belt and then removed the entire pump assembly, only two bolts connecting the bracket to the engine block on the MPI. Disconnect the two hoses from the pump assembly then you can take the assembly out and remove the rest of the bolts to get to the impeller. I had no problems removing or assembling the pump with the new impeller. If your impeller is shot, make sure you get all of the rubber pieces out of the filter unit that the short hose on the pump unit is connected to. Once you reassemble the pump unit reconnect the hoses then attach the pump bracket back to the block and reconnect the belt. It is much easier with a socket wrench and extensions. The last two times I have done this I did not have a socket wrench, so it was had to get to the two bolts that connect the bracket to the block.

One final tip, by two impellers and keep a spare in the boat, just in case.

Kris
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-03-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
This is interesting, i was told by one mechanic to never change the impeller on the water as you are just creating a big hole in the bottom of the boat when you disconnect the hose... didn't sound right to me...
Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-03-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
He was right kind of. You need to lift the hose above water level or you will get water flowing into the boat.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-26-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
What kind of grease should you use on the impeller? lithim or jigaloo is fine?