Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Found out last week that in Washington State evidently if you are towing anything, you must follow the "truck" speed limit signs. I guess I'll probably get razzed on here, maybe everyone knew except me, but I've been pulling my boat across the mountains for 7 years and always followed the "speed limit" sign, not the "truck" sign. Got a ticket for doing 73 in a "60". I am always on cruise control so I don't have this issue, but evidently I shoulda been at 63...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
I actually did not know that. I know that is the case in California and thought it had to be posted specifically like it is in California. I might be stupid too, but I am with you.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Don't sound right to me, I've been towing here longer than that, passed cops, pulled over by staters going 70+ and none have ever brought that up. There has to be a weight rating on that speed limit. If not I've been just as illegal as you this whole time.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-23-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
I always wondered what the rule was. Another thing to be careful is to not tow in the left lane if there is more than 2 lanes. It is ok to be in the left lane if there are only 2 when passing but you are not suppose to be in the left lane at all if you are towing something. Even if it is just to pass someone.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.410
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
I tow over the pass at 75mph for the last 10 years, and have never been pulled over. I guess ive been pretty lucky.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-23-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
I was just driving down I-5 with the boat and all the camping gear yesterday in WA and wondering the same thing looking at the speed sign while doing 73 mph... interesting, so 60 mph is the speed limit while towing the boat.. hmm
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
Yeah, I've never had an issue either until this trip. Have always followed the 70 signs. so would the "vehicles in combination" be the rule here? Because I don't think I meet the 10k load, maybe but it'd be pretty close...
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
interesting post I found...someone asked this exact question and was responded to by a State Patrol citing that the truck sign does not apply to towing trailers....then later the the Stater had to reply again to correct his original comment. Even the State Patrol doesn't know the law...Frustrating!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...t-speed-limit/
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-23-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
I actually did not know that. I know that is the case in California and thought it had to be posted specifically like it is in California. I might be stupid too, but I am with you.
Found this out a decade ago the hard way. Towing a construction trailer at 65mph in the wrong lanes. All vehicles towing in CA are subject to the speed and lane restrictions. Even found out that my old Chevy 2500 utility body truck was required to go through the weigh stations.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-23-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
interesting post I found...someone asked this exact question and was responded to by a State Patrol citing that the truck sign does not apply to towing trailers....then later the the Stater had to reply again to correct his original comment. Even the State Patrol doesn't know the law...Frustrating!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911...t-speed-limit/
What do you expect. They are a government orginazation.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-23-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
yep 55 here in CA. I got a $550 ticket doing 65. lame
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
If it is the 10K combined weight you have got to be real close. Might ask for clarification and stop in and get weighed. I can't remember your tow rig, but I looked up an 03 suburban (I think that is similar to what you have?) and it is about 5K lbs. Your boat on trailer is probably a hair under 5Klbs, so you might be able to prove you are under if that is the reason for your ticket and then might be worth fighting. WHen you go to the scales make sure all your gas tanks are on empty and no lead in your boat........
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
I'm hosed for sure, I took my megacab through a scale and it was 7,998#. I would say I'm over the 10k mark....
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-23-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
wow seriously? guess i've been pretty lucky. i always do 70-75 and pass plenty over and back to eastern washington. 60?! ugh.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2011, 8:48 PM Reply   
I will be hitting the pass at 70 driving in the middle lane soon, I will keep my fingers crossed and probably forget I ever saw this thread.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
I'm headed to Chelan on Thursday night and will sho nuff be doing 65-70 most the way.

Here's another question. I always though you cannot tow in either the left lane or the car pool but my buddy who tows everyday for work says that he tows in the car pool whenever he can. Whats the rule there?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2011, 5:35 PM Reply   
Hate the carpool lane doesn't apply in Wa, it's legal to tow in that lane.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-24-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Learn your laws boys... many of you have been lucky for years but you should still know the laws.

In California:
Max speed with trailer = 55MPH

When you tow a vehicle or trailer you must drive in the right hand lane or in a lane specially marked for slower vehicles. If no lanes are marked and there are four lanes or more in your direction, you may only drive in either of the two lanes closest to the right edge of the road.

If there is a truck bypass you should take it while while towing (so you end up in the correct lane at the end of the bypass).

Very often I see the tower of a wakeboard boat cruising down the carpool lane with an oblivious tow vehicle driver just cruising right along.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Yo Hate Mikeski is right I misread it, if your combo is under 10k it's ok. Over 10K you can't tow in the HOV lane in WA.