Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (themitch)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2011, 6:21 AM Reply   
i have a sea ray ski ray inboard 1995 on the drives side the wake is clear ,on the other side theres always white wash with or without ballast,i have 600lbs plus 5,6 people in the boat,does anyone thinks if i put a middle flap behind the boat it will help?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-23-2011, 6:39 AM Reply   
That means you need to lose weight.

There is too much weight on the drivers side... do you by chance have the battery and/or subs/amps on that side that would cause it to be leaning?
Old     (themitch)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
believe me i ve tried to move the weight all around,its driving me crazy,thats why im thinking of something like middle trim tab
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-23-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
Have you tried putting extra weight on the left side of the boat? Like 2-300 extra lbs?
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-23-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
I believe the old wakeboard film, "My House" was shot with JD webb, Harf and a few others behind a sacked out ski ray with an extended pylon. Some ski rays where built with a built in fiberglass swim platform. Is it possible something is dragging? Rub rail, speedo pickup? Just messing around while a friend is riding, i can put my hand in the water and create a small white wash in a clean, balanced wake. It could be possible that you are not running enough weight in the nose of the boat to clean it out. What speed are you running? You could be towing too slow. The ski ray is a tournament inboard that will produce clean wakes without any need for a trim tab. If you are balanced and running correct speed, the wake should be clean. Are you running the 600lb in the very back? A good generic weight scenario for direct drive inboards is 250lb in the bow, 500lb sack on each side of the motor box, 350lb in the rear.
Old     (themitch)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
yea its the one with the built in platform,HEAR THIS i checked the boat at the back right where the hull finishes,its not the same on both sides,left side its a bit curved right side straight,is that possible?anyone knows any info about these boats?i know its not a wakeboard boat,and wont have a perfect wake ,just trying to fix it if possible
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-23-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
I guess it could be possible, but it doesn't sound right. I know skiers hate big rooster tails and side spray from the boat. I wonder if Ski Ray tried messing with the hull to accommodate skiers? If it were mine, I would have no problems laying some fiberglass or gel down to level the hull out. I'm sure this is where your problem is coming from. Take a picture of it for us.
Old     (themitch)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
yea i think i will try and get some pictures,just to show exactly what i mean,dont mind messing around with it either, like fiber glass ,just wanna try the easy stuff first
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-24-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
Skiboats were/are usually designed with a hook in the rear of the hull (what you are seeing on the port side). The hook acts to lift the stern, give the boat its flat running attitude for small wakes at slalom speeds. It could be a hull defect from the mold or a structural defect... the hook(which is usually correct, and I'd have to imagine it was intended by sea ray) on the left side is causing what sounds like lift on that side. Since it rocks the boat to starboard, that is what (seems to me) is causing your wake wash. A hull blueprint in this situation... bringing it back to factory specs is what seems is required. Seems you need to make the hook consistent across the bottom trailing edge...
Old     (themitch)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-29-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
after checking out the other day it looks like ,the rooster coming from the middle of the boat lands mostly on the left side causing the white wash its like the rudder of the boat its not straight and throws the rooster only on one side,i know that the rudder on my boat has about 5cm freeplay left and right,is that normal?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-01-2011, 5:55 AM Reply   
Not normal, you want zero play in your steering cable and zero play in the rudder top to bottom side to side, it shouldn't wiggle at all... could be a problem but as I said if you reread my post, if your boat didn't come out of the mold right one side having hook and.the other not could cause.this.problem...
Old     (themitch)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-01-2011, 6:29 AM Reply   
i ll try and fix the freeplay and play a bit moving the weight ,i will also try to take some photos,is there any possibility that the exhaust makes any difference?theres only one coming out of the boat and thats on the side that the wake is clear,Am i being stupid asking these questions?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-01-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
Exhaust will not make a difference... I think its your hull, its supposed to have a proper consistent hook along the trailing edge I believe, or be totally flat. Think.of it like this... if its supposed to be hooked and the port side isn't it developed rocker in the hull. Thats like having trim tabs on a cruiser and putting one down while the other is up, its going to rock the boat to one side.