Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Kneeboarding

Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-17-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
OK - got a new boat (MC X-9) and board (Lowrider) and getting some huge air. What are some new tricks? Do 180's off the wake, hand-to-hand 360 and flips (actually a roll). What else is there to do??
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-18-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
You've only touched the tip of the iceberg. http://www.kneeboard-uk.com has info on tricks that might be useful. In the gallery under videos, you can see some of the tricks possible in action.

Here's a small list: 180 front, 180 back, ole', layout, back scratcher, back roll, back roll to revert, front roll, front roll to revert, front somersault, back somersault, layout to revert, wake front to layout, macasini, roadkill, backwards back somersault, 360, 720, 900, 1080, surface roll, skyscraper, mcdouble deluxe, invert, etc.

I haven't even gotten to the air tricks that you can do on the second bounce after you land.

You can also purchase a video called Air Assault that shows a lot of these tricks. You can buy it through http://skilimited.com

ride low, GO BIG!!
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-20-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
Do an over-the-head 360. Instead of doing the handle pass behind your back, go to the side and lift the handle over your head and spin around doing a 360. What makes it hard is sometimes you get too much slack in the line, and it can almost yank your arm off.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
Strib,

that trick is called an Ole'. Pronounced: oh-lay.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
Right on guys - this weekend is going to be bruiser!!
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
Alright Tuneman, whats the secret to the layout, my bro attempted one this weekend and got 3/4 around for a front roll. How do you stop the rotation? Also I've heard about loading your weight on your knees right before you hit the wake for better pop off of the water, is there any truth to this?

Oh yeah and the Lowrider claimed its first victim! Got nailed in the back of the head, split it open real good. 10 Staples!!! Went out and bought a helmet the same day.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Ouch!! That had to hurt. I went out riding last night and landed on my head once so hard that I thought I split it open! Of course my helmet was in the boat.

The secret to the layout is that there is no secret. Getting rotation usually means that you're trying to "throw" the trick. Make a hard cut at the wake. A millisecond before you hit the wake, flatten out and just do a regular big wake jump. Only when you are in the air, let your arms out and let your board fall back. Don't worry about where you're facing because the rope will pull you straight toward the boat. Remember to keep your head up and looking at the horizon.

For big air, you need to hit the wake flat and be ridgid. You need to resist the wake as much as you can. This is what they mean about loading the weight on your knees. Don't lean forward though, just resist. You'll find that you can get really big air by hitting the wake backwards. This is due to not being able to flex at the waist, resulting in huge resistance.

I hope this helps. ride low, GO BIG!!
Old                08-05-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
i cant get very big air behind my boat and i dont have the cash for any fat sacs, what tricks can i do? ive mastered 360 spins on the water, but i just cant get enough to even try anything else. i cant even go wake to wake
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2003, 7:37 AM Reply   
You can try the ole' that's described above, as well as a wake 180 front and back and a surface roll.

Try shortening your rope until you can jump wake to wake. This will build your confidence and make your landings a lot smoother. Then, as you gain more experience, lengthen the line a little bit at a time.
Old                08-15-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
sounds good, but whats a surface roll?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
Click on this link to find out how to do a surface roll.

http://www.kneeboard-uk.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=12
Old                08-28-2003, 7:09 PM Reply   
sounds good, but i got a question. would it be a bad idea to try and do a barrel roll if i cant clear the wake? it would be a huge confidence booster if i could do one.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
I'd work on clearing the wake first. If you're not clearing it, then you probably aren't getting enough air for a backroll.
When you can get about three feet of air, you're ready for a backroll.
Do as I said earlirer and shorten the rope until you can jump wake to wake. I have a son your age who didn't like kneeboarding much because it hurt him when he landed. So, I shortened the rope way up so he could jump wake to wake. Now he loves to kneeboard and it has boosted his confidence. He rides at about 45 feet.