Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-23-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
I had my boat in the shop recently and when I got it back there was some grease stains on the vinyl (mainly sundeck area) and on the fiberglass on the side of the boat. What's the best way of getting this out?

I was thinking of trying the magic eraser for the vinyl (my vinyl is white) and I guess polish on the fiberglass?

Thanks.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-23-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I like goo gone, for that kind of stuff. as always with anything test first, especially on color. Did you try soap and water?
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-23-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
All I've tried so far is 303 cleaner. I think they cleaned off any big splotches cause everything was fairly ground in by the time I got the boat back.

Does goo gone work on the vinyl too, or is that for the fiberglass? My mom had mentioned trying that also.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-23-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
I used some hand cleaner the other day to remove a grease spot on my sunpad. It worked well, but the longer the grease is on there, it may stain the material, especially white.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-23-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
i would take it back to the dealer and make them clean it up, but if not
i would use magic eraser on the vinyl and goo gone or acetone on the gel coat
good luck
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
Dish detergent is very effective on grease. It also takes off some wax if you use it on the gel coat. It does not damage anything.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
Acetone seems a little aggressive. I'd try Simple Green and/or Goo Gone first.
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-23-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
Try Oops! It works great for things like that then go over it with your regular vinyl cleaner
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-24-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
I talked to my dealer who had to come out and do some other stuff on the boat anyways and asked them to try to be carefull because there were some grease stains that got on the boat. She said when they send someone out to do the other stuff on the boat she'll also have them bring some things to clean it up. I thought that was good of them to volunteer to clean it up ( as they should) without me outright asking.

If its still not clean to my satisfaction I'll try everyone's suggestions. Thanks for the help!