Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Umatilla_Matt)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-15-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
I'm doing a survey for a school project and I'd appreciate anyone who is willing to take the time to respond. It's for an Insurance and Risk Management class (college level). Thanks in advance!

For boat owners only please!

Survey

1. What kind of boat do you own? (year, make, model, length)

2. How many times per month do you use your boat in the summer? In the winter?

3. How likely would you be to rent your boat to someone when you're not using it? (i.e. post an ad online or in the newspaper and allow someone to pick your boat up and use it for the day).

4. What would be your biggest concerns for not wanting to rent your boat?

5. How likely would you be to rent your boat if you were able to do a background check on the renter, have them sign a formal rental agreement to release you from any liability, and had insurance to cover all damages and theft?

6. How much money would you expect to rent your boat for if it were rented for the day?

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
1. 2002 Sanger V210, 20'8"
2. 2-3 times per month in summer, 1-2 in winter
3. Never going to happen.
4. Liability, damage, normal wear & tear, hassle factor (in that order)
5. Still not going to happen. I can afford the boat just for myself and it's not worth the hassle factor. Even if damage is covered, there is still the coordination and time to fix any of it, etc. Second, normal wear & tear is not covered by insurance but still happens. I'd just rather that I'm the one creating the wear & tear.
6. For me, it's not about the money.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-15-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
2005 supra launch 21v, 2004 session 22si
10-15 times in summer, winter varies but probably 3-4
supra never, session is actually a rental boat only
liability, damages to boat
supra never, session always
I rent the session for 250 weekdays and 350 weekends. The supra would have to be half the cost of the boat for me to feel good about someone taking it (I like that boat)
Old     (Umatilla_Matt)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-15-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
I rent the session for 250 weekdays and 350 weekends.
Raf,

How do you go about renting your boat? Just curious. I've thought about doing it myself.

Thanks!
Old     (HateAndPain)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2012, 3:16 PM Reply   
1. 2006 Sanger V215/ 21'6"
2. 12-20 summer/ 0 winter
3. I wouldn't at all consider renting my boat
4. People having sex on it
5. Not at all
6. $400/8 hours
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-15-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
1. 2007 Tige 22Ve
2. 5-8 times per month in summer, 0 in the winter
3. Will not rent it out, I am too picky
4. damage to my boat
5. Would not make a difference. If we are at a lake with family I have to be on the boat if it goes out to make sure nothing happens. No one take care of somethings as well as you do.
6. If I did I would be inline with other rentals in the area.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2012, 6:20 PM Reply   
2009 Mastercraft X-2
Never in the winter, i live in New England. As far as the summer goes, on the upside of 3 times per week.
3. How likely would you be to rent your boat to someone when you're not using it? (i.e. post an ad online or in the newspaper and allow someone to pick your boat up and use it for the day).
Not Likely
Mainly damage to the hull, seeing that the lake we live on is full of rocks.
5. How likely would you be to rent your boat if you were able to do a background check on the renter, have them sign a formal rental agreement to release you from any liability, and had insurance to cover all damages and theft?
Still not likely
6. How much money would you expect to rent your boat for if it were rented for the day?
500$ +
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-15-2012, 7:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatilla_Matt View Post
Raf,

How do you go about renting your boat? Just curious. I've thought about doing it myself.

Thanks!
Best thing you can do is hire a lawyer to explain what all you need to do to cover your arse. He can write up a rental contract for you too. Its a lot to explain and I'm sure the law varies from state to state.

As far as the rental goes, they pick it up and bring it back with a full tank. Make sure you take a deposit, and I recommend a GPS tracker just in case.
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-16-2012, 9:54 PM Reply   
If you rent, your normal insurance doesn't cover it does it? I believe mine specifies that I can't rent or do charters.
Old     (Umatilla_Matt)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-17-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
Thanks guys!

I don't think your normal boat insurance would cover rentals, and if it did you would still have to pay up to your deductible, so little things wouldn't be covered.

Raf, have you ever had any bad experiences renting your boat out?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-17-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
195 Supersport Nautique

Summer (May - September - if we're lucky) - 15 times monthy
October - April - zero

I would be extremely hesitant... I would have no problem letting a friend/family/someone I know is comfortable with inboards using it for the day... but not a stranger.

Liability .... I would hate for a wally to kill someone and it was done with my boat. Also I would fear they would be clueless to the gauges and mechanical functions of the boat.... having a boat that is 15+ years old means it needs some extra care.

I still would not... a good lawyer can walk through a waiver pretty easily.... also a background check doesn't confirm IQ.

I would think from 8am - 8pm I would need at least $800 + they're responsibly for gas
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-17-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatilla_Matt View Post

Raf, have you ever had any bad experiences renting your boat out?
I wouldn't say really bad experiences but sometimes you find shoe prints on the seats, new little scuffs on the boat, boat not sitting totally straight on the trailer etc etc. One time an impeller went out. Luckily they didn't overheat it.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-18-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
2006 Mastercraft X2, 20'

3x/month in the summer, 40-50hrs/year avg

Very unlikely, as in not happening. If I needed the $ that bad I'd sell it and either use part of the $ to downgrade to an older boat or keep my priorities in line and not own a boat if I wasn't
in the financial position to do so.

Damage to the boat, diminshed value, time and cost to repair. I'm very particular about my stuff.

Still not happening. It's a toy, not an income generator.

If I bought one to rent out or turned mine into a rental, no less than $500/day, but whatever the market would bear I suppose.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-18-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
1995 Hydrodyne Grandsport Elite 20'6"
Summer 20 winter 0

well my lake i would have to be on the boat so highly unlikely someone would do that

I cant rent out my boat with out me on it on my lake

i'd like that but same reasons above

400 8 hr
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-18-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
Survey

[B]1. What kind of boat do you own? (year, make, model, length)
2002 Tige 20V

Summer = at least 3 per week Winter = few times a month

Never

People are stupid, cost of increased maintenance and wear, would you lend your girlfriend out?

stupid people dont always commit crimes. Insurance isnt going to vacuum the carpet, clean the vinyl, or wipe the hull down. Would you lend your girlfriend out to someone without a criminal record?

the cost of the payment.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-18-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
1. '89 Supra Saltare
2. 2-4 times per month May-early November generally 75-125 hrs per season ... do not use in winter
3. Would never rent my boat
4. Neglect, cosmetic damage, fiberlgass damage, running gear/driveline damage
5. Never. I'm not in the boat rental business and don't want to deal with that overhead and risk
6. $400-$500 per day seems right for an inboard, given $300 to rent a clapped out 4-banger I/O around here
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-18-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
1. '99 Nautique 176
2. 10, 6
3. I wouldn't rent it
4. Most people are just plain stupid and careless
5. I still wouldn't - see #4
6. $500 a day