Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
I am about to trade my 2003 mini cooper in for a 2011 SUV.

I dig the MDX for it's features/reliability. We have had one for 6 years. It has run 120K perfect miles. Still not a single problem or rattle. But, I would not mind having the space of the Tahoe. And, I know there are a lot of Tahoe (or equivalent) owners here. So, please let me know what you think about this choice.

I don't tow more than once per year so thats not very important. I also have very little use for the 3rd row seat -- I would be carrying 2 dog crates instead.

95% of my miles will be on the HWY so their mileage rating are tied at 21. But, the Tahoe is about $8K more.

MDX: $44K invoice, 16/21 EPA, 336/441 range, 300 HP, 5000 tow.
TAHOE: $52K invoice, 15/21 EPA, 390/546 range, 320 HP, 8200 tow.

A picture of each...
Attached Images

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-27-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Personally, I would go with the Tahoe. I have kids and that enters two factors. Space, and more steel around them.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-27-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
ever since 02 - ive always had a Tahoe/Yukon in the line up. I cant imagine not having one ever moving forward. I dont think i could choose any other SUV over it.

Thats MDX is a great car too though. Nice choice to have.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-27-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
I haven't looked, but I'm guess the Acura's crash test rating is just as good as the tahoe.

Are you going to drive it every day?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
It would be my daily driver but I work from home a couple of days per week. I will put 15K miles/year on it.

The MDX has much better crash test ratings and much better reliability ratings.
Old     (normrd)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-27-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
I would go with the MDX. I have the previous gen and love it. Driven the new model quite a few times when I have had one of our 2 acura's in for service.

Since driving every day the MDX will feel much more sportier then the tahoe...the new MDX feels like a X5 BMW in driving dynamics. And the new AWD system sends extra power to the outside rear wheel in turns and helps it rotate, you can actually feel this as you would expect the SUV to understeer more but it just powers around the corners. It's no sports car (have the NSX for that) but it does drive quite nice.

Finally, i'm sure the resale on the MDX will be higher when that time comes.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-27-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I would go with the Tahoe.... All black. Although I did just get rid of my 2001 tahoe but only for gas reasons.. Both are awesome SUVs though.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-27-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
I had a 2001 Tahoe for five years and it was by far the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. Hard to beat the size and space espeically with little ones running around. Simply one of the nicest to drive SUV/Trucks I have owned. Not sure how they are now, but my 2001 was the closest to perfect rig I have driven.. I bet there are some screaming used deals on a 2008-2009 but it sounds like you are going new.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Safety Ratings from Edmunds.com for the MDX:
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
Safety Ratings from Edmunds.com for the TAHOE:
Attached Images

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
I really don't think they're in the same class. Here's why: The Tahoe is on a truck frame and it's gonna ride like one. The Acura is on a car frame (essentially) and it is going to ride like one. So, if you love your Mini, you're going to hate the Tahoe. The Acura is going to have better fit of almost everything and it'll prolly get the mileage they say it will. There will be some quirks with the Tahoe and it prolly won't get the mileage it advertises. I wouldn't count on 21 mpg as my decision maker. The Acura is gonna be a 300K mile vehicle. The Tahoe, not so much. It'll need more repairs, over time, than the Acura. Yes, you might coax 300K outta the Tahoe, but the maintenance will have to be meticulous. However, on the upside of the last sentence, the Tahoe can be repaired by any Tom, Dick or Harry and parts will be available from any little shop you happen upon. The Acura is always going to cost more to repair; parts and labor.

I sound like I'm bashing the Chevy, but I have three in my driveway. My latest is a 04 Trailblazer, with only 100K on it. It needs all four ball joints, all four sway bar links and the upper a-arm bushings. It is not 4WD and it has never been offroad. The mileage has never been up to the sticker and when I took it back, they laughed at me. Multiple times. I put an aftermarket computer in it just to make it run decently as the factory tune was horrible and driveability suffered. On the other hand, my 93 truck with 260K has all the original front end, but is on it's second engine and third transmission. Yes, it tows and I run the cr@p out of it.

To me, it seems that you should really consider what you want to drive. Do you want a vehicle that can tow just about anything or something that will struggle to tow most things. I'm in the same boat... er dilemma. I want a truck to replace mine, but the newer trucks just don't feel good when you close the door and don't seem to hold up as well, (door hinges, interior components, exterior trim) as the "japanese". The ergonomics are good, but not great and I'm not sure if I can really believe the MPG's stated on the sticker. On the other side of the coin, I have been pondering a Ridgeline. It will be more nimble than any other truck, but will never really tow anything like my current or other full sized truck. However, I can just about count on the thing to get the MPG that Honda advertises. If you haven't thought about it, you may want to throw the Pilot into the mix. It is almost a middle ground between your two choices... imho
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Well, I'll correct myself on the Pilot. I went and looked at the torque and hp numbers and I was surprised of the power of the MDX (270 ft# torque). The Pilot was weaker in both departments.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-28-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
^^^ I agree with him.

I think you'll be happier in the Acura. It's a more natural transition for you. And more your style.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-28-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
The only thing the MDX beat it in was rollover rating. Its a bigger car so its obviously going to roll easier. Think of it like this. If you were gong to get smashed in the side by a MAC truck, would you rather be in a small car, or big car? I guess I just feel safer in the larger SUVs.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
I'm a former Honda/Acuraphile. As much as I love past Honda/Acura engineering and style, I think the Acura styling alone would be the final nail in the coffin on this decision! It could go down as the ugliest vehicle since the Pontiac Aztec. Both are great vehicles but at the end of the day you still have to look at it.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-28-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
I know someone that just got in a accident in a YUKON. Wasn't paying attention, ran a red light, got T-boned, rolled 3 times before landing on the roof. Both people walked out with no injuries.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-28-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsebllhglyknit View Post
I know someone that just got in a accident in a YUKON. Wasn't paying attention, ran a red light, got T-boned, rolled 3 times before landing on the roof. Both people walked out with no injuries.
Thats where that 3 star rollover rating comes in
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-28-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
I just bought a 2010 Tahoe and havebeen driving it for 3 days. I LOVE IT! Hope that helps
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-28-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
People bash the MDX styling, but I think the new one is a great looking vehicle. To each his own, I guess.... For me, I'd choose the Tahoe. I love the space and the towing. For my wife I'd choose the MDX, then probably use it as our primary vehicle when we went places, trips, etc.....

I'd like to add a mid-size SUV to our garage. Sometimes full size trucks are just a pain. Incidently.... about mileage: I'd be amazed if they really both got the same mileage. I'd like to take them both to tahoe and see what the mileage figures come back with. The trucks get horrible mileage on any sort of grade. I'd hope the mid size MDX would be better.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-28-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
Tahoe is awesome for towing, has lots of room and looks way better than the MDX. But the response, handling, acceleration, comfort and overall fun-to-drive of the MDX puts the Tahoe to shame!! Have you considered a Honda Pilot since it looks better than the MDX? I would rather have a Chevy Silverado crew cab over the Tahoe.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
By the way, if you are going with the Tahoe, you might as well step up to the Suburban. There is no other vehicle on the market that can match its flexibility as a people/stuff hauler, and it tows much better with the longer wheelbase. Just my observations based on experience with my dads Escalade and my Yukon XL.
He wishes he would have bought the Escalade ESV (long wheelbase), but his wife thought it was too big.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
I agree with Adam on the XL. My Trailblazer is a EXT with a 5.3 V8. With the 3rd row in use, there's about 18" behind it for storage. With the Yukon and the 3rd row in use, there is nothing. I thought that was strange when I was looking at them and partially helped me decide.... besides the price.

I happen to like the MDX styling. But then again, I like the Infinity FX even though it kind of looks like a high top tennis shoe.
Old     (Lawdog)      Join Date: May 2010       10-29-2010, 12:00 AM Reply   
Well for starters $52,000 for the Tahoe is a little steep. When I bought mine off the lot, fully loaded Z71 edition it was only around 41K. I barely drive it though....maybe 400-500 miles per month. Havent had any problems yet.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever see the grill on an MDX modified? Maybe paint the beak black?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-30-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
This may sounds petty but I really don't care for the shifter on the steering column as found on all the versions of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       11-01-2010, 9:23 PM Reply   
I agree about the shifter. Not a big deal, but I like them on the console. A lot of people on here going with the Tahoe, but I'd go with the MDX in a heartbeat. If you're not towing and not using the 3rd row seat, I just really don't see the upside of the Tahoe. I personally like the styling of the Acura's, even the new TL which has bombed for them. Someone mentioned the Pilot, and if you haven't already looked at it I would. I actually prefer driving it to the MDX and you could probably save $6-7k with similar equipment. Not sure your price range, but I think this might be my next truck - http://www.infinitiusa.com/qx/photos-360s.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-01-2010, 9:41 PM Reply   
The MDX is is a nice looking SUV. I am not a fan of the "beek" grill but its not a deal breaker.

The TL was a great looking car -- the designer who ruined that car better be fired by now.
Old     (normrd)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-02-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
I have seen a few folks who paint a good portion of the grill body colored and helped the look quite a bit.

Again, since you aren't towing and don't need the 3rd row think the MDX would have much better driving dynamics, will still feel a little sporty and you can still tow when you need to. We tow our 21' wakesetter with ours a ton and have had no issues for past 3 years.
Old     (csaidler)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-02-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I know alot of ppl like new cars, but just wondering why not buy used and save 15-20 thousand? Then if you really wnt the Tahoe it'll be way closer to the acura in price.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-02-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaidler View Post
I know alot of ppl like new cars, but just wondering why not buy used and save 15-20 thousand? Then if you really wnt the Tahoe it'll be way closer to the acura in price.
Nobody would give 52K for a Tahoe. That is what is so wrong about the stickers. The Acura prolly sells for close to sticker, the Tahoe prolly 10K off. So, they are already pretty close.

I myself, can see both sides. I always do. New vs Used: They say if you keep a car forever, buy new. If you buy all the time, then buy used. I keep cars forever. Since I have been driving, 30 years now, I have owned, including the car my wife owned when we met, I have owned 10 cars. Three of them, I still own. However, breaking the rule, my next car will be used and it'll be a Honda Accord with 25 to 45K miles. I really need to replace the truck (93 Chevy) but I just cannot justify the extra 5K to buy a comparable truck to the Accord. The choices of prospects just aren't out there either for trucks. And, I feel fuel will creep back up to 4-5$ a gallon, so I need something that will easily get in the 20's. I think the word dad is synonymous with the word compromise.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-24-2010, 2:47 AM Reply   
I checked out the FORD EDGE and FLEX last weekend. I was very impressed. They are both nice cars and American. The EDGE was too small for my needs. The FLEX could work but the back is setup for a 3rd row of people and not wide enough for our two dog crates.

Next up, SF car show this week!

Last edited by diamonddad; 11-24-2010 at 2:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-24-2010, 2:52 AM Reply   
pics... nice vehicles but not right for us.
Attached Images