Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old    buckettim            03-28-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Everyone has a different view of which Brand of wakeboard is better... Now the people that got me into wakeboarding after i had to quit racing motocross due to knee problems, Will only buy Malibu boats (doesn't help now that they both work there) and Hyperlite wakeboards. To them they are the best and nothing else can or is better. So my question is what makes one brand better than the other or is it just marketing, quality,or personal preference when it comes to buying a wakeboard? And buying one wakeboard going to help you progress better than another.. say i buy Hyperlites best board they ever made is that going to make me any better than if i buy a board from another company that might suit my needs better this year?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-28-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
I'll just answer your last question: Hell no.

Maybe your friends are sponsored in some way (even unofficially). Maybe they get more support / kick downs from the HL rep.

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
What is the best wakeboard? You'll have tons of differant answers. I'll say the state, others will say the parks, others will say the absolute, and on, and on, and on.
People do get cought up in marketing and what the pro is riding and little to much and dont buy what is best for them.
I wouldn't say there is a best brand, but there def is the best wakeboard for you.
People choose a brand for many reason, but usually what makes someone stick with a brand is if they've had good customer service, the product has lasted them well and what not like that.
There are tons of people that will buy a board because they think its the best, but we're all differant and need differant rides. It all comes down to personal preference.

(Message edited by kristian on March 28, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
to me, i don't care what it says on the board. if i ride it and like it, i'm riding it. the board will certainly help me progress if i'm comfortable on it.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Tough call, this thread will start some good flaming :-)

I love O'Brien, always have. Their boards are perfect for me, I ride every board every year and I love the Player.

If you like to go mainstream, buy a Hyperlite. It seems that is what most people are doing. If you want to be different, get a Liquid Force or O'Brien, or the other companies.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
so what you're saying is the only reason people ride hyperlite is because they like to go mainstream? or people that ride liquid force/o'brien/cwb are riding them simply to be different?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
Not totally.

I'm just saying Hyperlite is very very popular.

If you don't know what to buy, or if you want to be cool, it seems people are buying Hyperlites.

Some people have legit reasons, but not many. I always laugh when I see a 12 year old kid learning to jump the wake on a Hyperlite Parks.
Old    swass            03-28-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
There are no objective answers to subjective questions. Ride behind as many different boats as you can and demo as much equipment as you can and form your own conclusions. As long as you're happy with what you buy, it doesn't matter what others think.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       03-28-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
I think with all the ppl jockin HL that has a lot to do with marketing. I have ridin for years and have been on many diffrent board/brands, There is a lot of ppl that will only ride HL and not even try any thing that not HL and that is just stupid!! Find a board that you like because you like the way it rides and not because a pro rides it, or cuz you think its cool to have that board. Just cuz a board is not a HL its not goin to hold you back. Check out all the boards you can.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-28-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
All of the boards mentioned in this thread are top of the line and don't let anyone convince you that one is better than the other. You may prefer one over the other, but there is not one better board company. Personally, I prefer LF over other board manufacturers, for a number of reasons in addition to the actual boards (customer service, my relationship with the dealer's in the area, etc). Boat's are the same way. Malibu is a great boat, but you'll find tons of people on here that think a Mastercraft X-series boat is better than any Malibu and vice versa. I personally prefer Supra, just because that's what I ride behind the most and I'm used to it. If I was ever in the market to buy a new wakeboat, I'd try every major brand (correct craft, mastercraft, malibu, skier's choice) until I found one I liked (based on wake, interior commodities, etc).
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
Swass: Great answer!
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
It's true.

I also find 95% of the time that people who ride Hyperlites are totally ignorant to any other board company.
A person who rides an O'Brien board or a LF board, I have noticed, is totally open to different opinions with other boards and will try other boards such as OB/LF/HL... the HL rider spends most of his time mocking the OB/LF riders because they are riding crappy boards.

It has all to do with marketing. Hyperlites team has, and does dominate wakeboarding for the past...ever. They have way more adds in magazines, and people just want to be like Parks Bonifay (at his peak), so they bought his board. They soon found out they payed WAY too much, for a board they cant learn one trick on because it is 10000 times more advanced then they deserve.

Take for example.... The Hyperlite Tour came to my city, and I was at the lake getting ready for a ride. They were pulling the club members, such as me. It was my turn up, and the Hyperlite guys took one look at my O'Brien Player and Ion setup (last summer) and looked me in the eyes and said "You can't ride that piece of S*** behind this boat, go over to our tent and grab a TFD and then it can be your turn".

Once that happened, I refuse to be open to anybodys pro-Hyperlite Opinion.

Even the Canadian rep, Neil Van Beers beaks me because I ride O'Brien. Last year the O'Brien rep, my team manager, came to the boat show and he was chatting it up with everybody Hype people, LF people, everybody.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   

quote:

the HL rider spends most of his time mocking the OB/LF riders because they are riding crappy boards.

actually, i see it the other way around. i see more of those that ride lf/obrien/cwb/etc., mock those that ride hyperlite.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-28-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
I tend to notice the same tendencies of Hype peeps Aden, which is sad because I'd like it to be a few small stereotypes but it seems more widespread than that.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
Interesting, Joe.

I wont name any names, but all of the top Canadian Hyperlite riders are the cockiest people I have EVER met in the sport. Rusty Malinoski? He rode for Hyperlite too when I rode with him, and same goes for him.

I have many friends that ride OB and LF, we have great discussions on boards and what is good and what isn't. As soon as we bring a HL fan in, he automatically goes in to beak mode.

Maybe its different in USA, but there is no question that is what it's like in Canada, and I have rode east to west coast, all the same.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   

quote:

people who ride Hyperlites are totally ignorant to any other board company

quote:

I refuse to be open to anybodys pro-Hyperlite Opinion

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
Dude its a hyperlite demo! of course they're gonna say that. I've been told by LF pro's that my stick is crap because its not LF. Don't take it so seriously man, chillout. Its some friendly inter-brand compretition.
I pan people out for crap all the time, it doesn't mean I'm serious.
Its like ford vs GM
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
"Don't take it so seriously man, chillout. Its some friendly inter-brand compretition."
No, you're wrong. I ride in comps across Canada, that is just ONE example. It is everywhere.

"Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle"
Did you read my example? If somebody wouldn't let you ride behind your CLUB boat because of the board you ride, among many other examples and times this has happened, you would feel the same way.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-28-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
"Dude its a hyperlite demo! of course they're gonna say that. I've been told by LF pro's that my stick is crap because its not LF. "

At LF's Trip Across America, I know two guys that rode different brands, a Hype Premier and an O'Brien something-or-other, and no one ragged them once about it, nor stopped them from riding behind their boats.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
It may not happen from where you are from Kristian, but trust me it happens everywhere when I ride. Thats all the facts I need to know.

And you are right, this topic is EXACTLY the same as imports vs domestic vehicles, or ford vs gm. It's useless to even argue.

To your first post
"People choose a brand for many reason, but usually what makes someone stick with a brand is if they've had good customer service, the product has lasted them well and what not like that.
There are tons of people that will buy a board because they think its the best, but we're all differant and need differant rides. It all comes down to personal preference."

Amen.

(Message edited by aden_g on March 28, 2006)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
What I'm saying is they will ragg from time to time. Just dont take it seriously. If people want to ride a certain brand or board even though you think you know better, just let them. Offer advice only when asked or they're open to it.

(Message edited by kristian on March 28, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
i've ridden w/ hyperlite, lf, cwb, o'brien, etc. etc., pros and they've all ragged on other brands at one time or another. 99% of the people didn't take 'em seriously since they were able to distinguish sarcasm.
Old    buckettim            03-28-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
Well thats what i'm kinda getting at with all of this. Hyperlite has the Rep of being the So called best. My friends have a 04 ERA which is what i first learned on then i tried a Byrely and never wanted to touch my friends ERA ever again..i bought a Byrely and loved it i felt more comfortable on it, now i'm in the market for a new board... Aden Glatt (aden_g) suggested the O'brien Player 143 which i am now really considering over a Parks, and showing the price to my future wife now she likes that idea too... will i like it well only time on the board will tell...
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-28-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
Bottom line: Ride a bunch, and buy the one you like most. People get way too wrapped up in name brand recognition/status/hype. The only other thing tha really matters is customer service/warranty issues. Seems like all the top brands take good care of you.

Sorry, I am in a "simple mind" mode right now. Sometimes these threads drive me nutz!
Old     (gratz)      Join Date: May 2005       03-28-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Aden, LOL I can rememer not too long ago when I was still with O'Brien in Canada you sent us a rider resume about how great O'Brien was. When I went to reply I looked at your email address it was hyperliterider@hotmail.com. Does that make you cocky and now that your on O'Brien are you now so much nicer. Some times it is not what a person rides that determines their personality I would take the time to get to know people and then make assessment on those relationships.

Any one who says Hyperlite/O'Brien/....... is crap is a fool, every brand has good and bad products gear needs to fit your style. I tell people to buy gear on what fits best and suits them. I tend to support those who support our sport. If you have a relationship with a shop, or brand it is much easier for them to help you out.

I would much rather see you support your sponsors byselling people on the merrits of them not on your percieved flaws of others.

You realy missed out on a great opportunity to get to know one of Canada's great riders(Rusty). If you would have taken the time to get to know him I think you would see how genuine of a person he is. I can say this as I have got to see Rusty many times over the past three years. The last time wass in Russia where he took all the Canadian guys out for dinner he also spent a great deal of time supporting the younger riders and I thank him for that.

I hope in time you will take the time to see the whole picture and then speak. Integrity is worth more than any sponsorship and your reputation will stick with you for life.

Good luck with that.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-28-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
I don't know guys, I think it's pretty disrespectful to go to a (insert board company name here)______ demo day, and ride your own board which is not the same brand as the demo's.

Seems like you're just trying to get a free pull. The objective of a demo day is to promote their product, and if you're not willing to ride it, then you shouldn't be there. Don't try to exploit their free event.

oh yeah and what does the term "beak" mean?