Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old                09-03-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
How many buoys can you turn?

Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
At 41 off? This might be a short thread......
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
NONE!
Old                09-04-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
What is 41 off...... I am 16 and I only ski for fun I don't know any of the Lingo or what not.
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       09-04-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
In the first round of the 2003 Masters', Andy Mapple got 1@41 off. So for all ye who can do that, my hat is off to you.

I was slaloming the ducks on our lake yesterday though. (no course set up). I got 5 ducks at 15 off.
Old                09-07-2003, 8:02 PM Reply   
A ski rope and handle is 75 feet. The number of feet off represents the number of feet off of a 70 foot mainline and handle. So Andy Mapple was riding a 34 foot rope when he went around the buoys
Old                09-08-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
To put that in perspective, the distance from the pylon in the center of the boat directly perpendicular to the buoyline is 37.5 ft. Even more amazing is there are a few guys running 41 off, and getting 1 at 43 off in tournys and deep into 43 off in practice.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-09-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
I bet I can get the gates
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
I was practicing the other day and went after my buddy. I was going off the dock at 15 off 32 mph and I didn't realize that we never put the rope back to 15 off so I ran 3 buoys at 22 off!

At 41 off the rope doesn't even reach the buoy, as a matter of fact I think its about 1.5 feet short. That is ridiculous. I don't know how those guys do it.

Anyone see Mapple win the Overton's US open? He ran 3 at 41 off! His warm up pass was 39.5 off and he stroked it!
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
That guy is not human. He holds the world record at 1 at 43 off. My question is, if he ran 1 at 43 off, does that mean he ran a full pass at 41 off before hand?

Nice run on 22 off. I would hurt myself. I just bought my course and hope to set it up this weekend. We'll see what kind of damage I can do. Any pointers for the first time running a course?

(Message edited by tacosupreme on September 09, 2003)
Old                09-09-2003, 2:43 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever ran into a buoy, does it hurt? What speed should I go at if I want to try the course? I just freeride right now at about 35-36, but is that to fast to do the course? What is some things I can do just freeriding to get better at the course? And Lastly, right now we have a cheap ski from our combo set that I use, but we are going to get a nice ski within the next month can anyone reccomend a good ski w/ boots under $650. -Thanks
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
Under 650?!?! That's a great budget! I know a lot of guy's on here like the CDX. I have an O'Brien Siege. It's based on the ski that Andy Mapple uses but softer flex for a beginner like me. They have the 2002 model on clearance on Overtons.com for $269 with dual high wrap bindings. I paid $450 for it in 2002.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
T-Rev - Actually if I remember correctly Mapple co-owns the world record with Jamie Beauchane (did I spell that right?) and Chris Rossi at 1 @ 43 off. Oh and yes that means they ran a complete 41 off pass before hand! They are amazing! Pointers for running the course the first time are this: Start slow, I would suggest starting off at long line at 28 mph... I know it seems slow but you need to get used to being towed. Practice your form. At that speed you have hours of time to make mistakes and still make the next ball. Practice getting your gates consistent. Slow pull into 1 ball and then sqaure your shoulders to the boat by looking up the rope after your turn. Get that handle down to your hips and if your shoulders are square you'll be in a good position. I find the single most important thing in my skiing is to be PATIENT around the ball. Let your ski finish the turn and get your body in a good position before pulling. If you find you are sinking at 28 mph go to 30 but no faster until you start running a full course.

Mike R - I sometime will run over a buoy or fall on one and they don't hurt much. Mostly if your ski runs over one it will cause you to fall but thats why they make them soft and fill them with air! If you are just starting to run the course start at 28 mph and ski long line. Read what I told T-Rev.
As far as freeriding to help your course skiing. Pretend you are in the course and pull out for the gates just as if you were running them and ski 6 turns as smooth as possible working on keeping your ski on edge and edging through both wakes and then getting your body in good position for the pull after your turns.

Good ski under $650 I would suggest either the HO ASX Vengence with double venoms or the HO Truth. Both are high end skis and with it being almost the end of the summer most places will have them on sale. Both skis will handle slower speeds and more moderate skiing, but they will also handle higher speeds and aggressive skiing in the course. If you are just getting into course skiing I would stay with the ASX Vengence. Great course ski... I'm sure there are other options in other brands but I've always been on an HO and I've never been disappointed.

Hope this info helps, if you've got more questions feel free to ask. Good luck guys.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
I just tried a CR7 last night. Great ski. And very "friendly" for a top-end comp ski.
Old                09-16-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
It is not rossi who coholds it. It is Jeff Rodgers, Andy and Jaime B. Yes they had to run 41 off first. Mapple has run 43 off at 34 mph in tournament before. Ben Favret tied the record too but he was denied due to bad boat path.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
Bad Boat Path = All Record Certified Tournaments are surveyed at both ends of the course. If the judges feel the boat was too far off path either way, the record does not stand.

Thought I would throw that out before someone asked.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-29-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
Good call Nick!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-29-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
If you want some KD stuff - I am a dealer and can hook you up. The new Platinum is as light as the other top-end skis and is gaining a reputation as being the fastest ski out of the turn.

rider@boarditup.com
Old                08-06-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
I agree 41 off is insane. I have run 5 @ 32 off and it feels like you are in the back of the boat. I can't imagine what 38 feels like never mind 41.