Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
my hosting account just got hijacked, everything is gone. One years worth of work, all gone. I will try to put it back up, please bear with me but any of you that had a used boat on there will have to relist. I will email all users once it's back up. I put my heart and soul into making this work. who would do this.
Old    bocephus            11-05-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
your server should have a backup! Contact them!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
nope, not on dedicated. My programmer said that i had a backup, but it seems he/we were wrong.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-05-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
If we paid for an add does this mean we will have to pay again?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
...wow ..thats unbelievable...I love that site...hope you can get some kind of resolution.....man I feel for ya!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-05-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
UGH!

I am so sorry to hear that.

Ian you may be able to retrieve some of the source code, images and other assets using the Internet Archive or Wayback Machine. I was able to find some stuff for OnlyInboards.com there already. Try it. Click on the below link and see if you can grab as much content as you can from the pages that the Archiver has captured.

Sorry to hear about this and I hope you're able to restore as much of it as possible.

**edit**
Copy & paste the url in below - the forum is somehow barfing on that url when it tries to render it on this page.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://onlyinboards.com

You can also try this if the above fails:
http://tinyurl.com/2josu2

Upload

(Message edited by juniorhawk on November 05, 2007)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
matt, of course not. the site should be back up in a week or less (hopefully). I was in the middle of a big revamp anyway, so the new version will be released when i put it back up. Just lost all customer and used boats but it will be back. i jsut don't see how someone could have done this... and how stupid i am for not having it backed up (i was told it was but ultimately, who's fault is it)
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-05-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Get yourself an external hard drive and store copies of all your files onto that. That way you'll have a backup of everything you have and if this happens again you are safe. Second, i don't know who you're hosting through but the larger isp's have nightly dedicated backups, i use Network Solutions and have never had issues.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Onlyinboards...

When you get back up and running MAKE sure that youer nightly backups include your databases. Many providers only backup files in the web directories. You may have to do a dump via cron nightly but it is worth it as you will be back up and running with customer info in no time...
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-05-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
What about credit card numbers etc? Is that info safe still?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
yes, no billing info was ever stored on this server, that was all stored on a secure server. My server was not actually hacked. And the secure server is not even in the picture here. Should have been more clear but I am 100% and would bet my house that any cc info is still secure. Again, it was NOT stored on the OnlyInboards server nor did that server ever pass or see any billing info. All billing was done on a completely different domain/host.

any dealers or advertisers i have sent an email to regarding this, anyone with a listing on the site will just have to relist. I will do everything i can to get this back up asap. Thanks for your patience and please come back when we're back online!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-05-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear of your loss..
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-05-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
I'm so sorry - I can only imagine the feeling when you found out what happened. Probably similar to the guy who put pics up last week of th brand new sinking boat. Hosting's kind of like insurance, only seems important when it's not working; site's down or worse, what you're going through.

Good luck with the new site launch, I'll be sure to check it out when you're back online.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-05-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear. I'm sure it is truly frustrating.

(Message edited by fuller313 on November 05, 2007)
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-05-2007, 11:37 PM Reply   
Its a bummer dude.

We tell customers on a daily basis : Backup, backup, backup but many don't bother and are mad when a drive/server fails.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-06-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
How did you loose all of your data? Do you not have any of the static site files?

Sucks to hear that.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-06-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
This is why I make good money as a Solutions Architect for a major player in the data storage and business continuance marketplace. Don't you use Go Daddy as your provider. They have 3 PBs of our storage so hopefully they have your critical data backed up via one of our snapshot. My counterpart covers their account so please let me know if there is anything we can do to help a brother out.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
godaddy was zero help. I didn't have the ftp back up so the site wasn't being backed up. The told me there was nothing they could do. I found out that it was a programmer working on a project for me that didn't realize that there was stuff on the server. It wasn't a hack, it was a mistake! Can you believe that?

Anyway, the guys who built it for me say that it might be back up tonight with the new features added which i think would be amazing. Chris, if you know anyone who might be able to help me get the databases back, that would be spectacular!!!
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-06-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
you could try to use a recovery program. unless the hard drive has had zeros written to it your information is still there it may be a little screwed up but it is better than starting over.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-06-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
maybe you should look into a private dedicated server, $110 a month through verio and you can sleep well knowing that it will never go down or get lost!
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-06-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
If they don't make this situation right I would move along to another provider. I recommend 1&1. I work and live in the technology field and lets just say godaddy doesn't have the best reputation. They're like a wholesaler of tech needs... Much like the walmart of the internet.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-06-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
How would it be Go Daddys fault? Its a user error fault. Go Daddy has no control of users not using a daily or weekly backup system. (no i don't work or host my sites there). It doesnt matter if you have a dedicated or self managed server or a grid server this type of thing will still happen.

You should at the very minimum have the static site files, ie HTML, images, CSS etc. Most of the time its the DB files that are not easily recovered.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on November 06, 2007)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
you didn't lose the info i sent, did you? please let me know if i have to re-send.

also, please let me know if you want to check out other hosting options.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Yes, it is bad, but not as bad as I initially thought. I have all static pages and i stored all user info on a secure server so the only thing (it seems) that I lost were the used boat listings. HOpe to be back up with new version of the site very soon.

I freaked out when it first happened but, besides losing the used boats and being down for a few days, i think it's not as bad as originally thought.
Old     (greenmachine)      Join Date: May 2007       11-06-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Just a thought.... it probably is not the best business decision to post "my hosting account just got hijacked, everything is gone" on a website where your clients are found. (before you diagnose the problem internally, and then devise a solution)

Not trying to be a hater, but this type of reaction doesn't exactly build confidence in your website. Any potential customer who does a search on WW for
info on your business will read this thread
and think WTF ???
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-06-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
About any provider worth mentioning can facilitate some sort of recovery whether data loss is intentional or not, customer's fault or not. As for database depending on the type of access they allow the customer to have to the DB backups there shouldn't be an issue either. I am sure if you talk to the right person at your provider for a fee they're able and willing to recover 100% of your data @ the last know point of good code and backup. As little as anyone would like to admit netapps, EMC, Nexsan, Overland, Equallogic, HP, <insert brand> do fail that's why tape companies are still in business..

This happens to be the industry which my boat is funded by. If this was on a windows box there's a tool called r-undelete which works pretty well. If it's linux (more than likely) it depends on the filesystem but you're likely @ the mercy of backups most use ext3 which zeros out blocks upon deletion. One of the reasons I like 1&1 is they use reiserfs which has undelete provisioning built in.

(Message edited by w00taz on November 06, 2007)
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-06-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
Scott - The name is NetApp, not netapps . We have a snapshot functionality that is second to none in the industry and Go Daddy uses this technology but it sounds like Onlyinboards.com did not purchase this feature from Go Daddy. Tape backup is primarly used for archival purposes in today's data storage environment. We use snapshots to create up to 255 point in time (PIT) copies of a customer's data set and we can restore from these images to that PIT or we can also apply the transaction logs for some applications to roll you back to within seconds of the outage,deletion, or virus. We call this business continuance and we judge the customer requirements by RTO (Recovery Time Objective) and RPO (Recovery Point Objective). Tape Backup should be a last resort type of backup due to the timeframe that it takes to fully recover your data. It is mostly used for long term archive where that data on the tape is the only copy of the data that is still around. I have spent 12 years in this industry of data storage so I am happy to talk about my profession even if it is on a WW discussion board.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-06-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
Are many filers called many netapp like "deer" or netapps like "cards"? Regardless I pluralized the first company and referenced the rest as singular.

I have a netapp sitting about 100 feet away from me right now spinning away on our ERP. Netapp disks and snaps are too expensive to actually use as a DR/backup solution except in some rare circumstances from what I have experienced there's always a cheaper usually application based solution than netapp disks w/ netapp warranties and netapp licensing with more flexibility. Don't get me wrong some of the functions are sweet as hell! combine netapp filers w/ VxFS and the storage possibilities are endless. But with an endless budget (and need for disk pools / volumes smaller than 4TB but I personally would overcome that w/ VxFS raids on multiple LUNS/Volumes) this is like the uber caddy in storage setups IMHO. The ASIS Dedupe stuff is pretty sweet too.

I have a VERY objective but real perspective on storage as an end user. I like netapp's ;) product but I think the newfound cheaper competition will introduce some REALLY neat features in the very near future I just hope I can justify playing with it all. Equallogic is a sweet idea buy the box w/ all the features enabled. EMC has devices like the AX150 which is in no way a competitor for the likes of the 270/270c and now the 20x0 line but it meets needs for small companies with small budgets who want scalable solutions, which is a huge revenue generator. From what I personally have seen snaps are not a very easy way to do block level restores on any platform. OnlyInboard's data would be considered to me as a block level restore unless his host was a VM of some sort.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-06-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
LOL I just thought about what I just wrote and none of this crap matters... they can get his data back its just getting someone able and willing to do it thats the hard part. Some day though Chris I'd like to sit in a swaying boat over a beer and discuss our points of view in the technology/storage industry. Do you ever go to the LAN gaming things netapp holds in the valley?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-06-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Scott - Where do you work and you are likely a customer of mine? I did not attend the last LAN of Doom party but I did set up the event. We should get out sometime to ride and discuss this stuff. Most of our customers use snapshots for backup and recovery and the instant restore capability drastically outweighs the cost of these features. We do block levels restores with ease especially on applications such as SQL or Exchange. We can restore at the FlexVol level or the file level so we meet most customers needs. There is always a cheaper way then NetApp but it will not work as well or as quickly to bring your application back online as NetApp. I agree that VxFS works great to get around some common architectural storage requirements and our ASIS offering is great. I was just ribbing you on the NetApps comment because it is a common mistake and when I was at a competitor I always called it netapps and not NetApp. PM or email me with your company name and contact info and maybe we can get out on the lake for a lunch meeting or something.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-06-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
In reading all these responses they are all great but I really think out of the range of Ian.

Many of my clients have been deploying Symantec's back up exec with the continuous protection suite. All production servers have an agent on them and then you have a "collection" server where all the data gets backup on the fly.

Also you can choose individuals file/folder for restoration through the web-based interface. If you want to have a tape libary you would position it off the collector server and it would hog down the network when it does nightly or weekly full backups.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-07-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
Glad I didn't take that Network Security job at GoDaddy in October!! :-)

Hope they help you out and give you free storage from here on out. If not, I have lots of eggs that I can throw out of my car. They are right up the street from me! J/K

Let me know if you need some help. I know a few directors over there...
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-07-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Greg - basically Ian has to pay Go Daddy to do all of the backup and restore capabilites and it appears that he did not order this feature. Backup Exec. is a decent product for less then 20 servers that Ian certainly falls into but he doesn't manager his servers over there. Go Daddy uses the big brother product called Netbackup and Network Appliance for all of their backup and recovery purposes.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
the site is back up, but might have a few glitches. I have ordered the ftp back up from them and will get more info on what kind of back up i'll be doing so you can tell me if it's good or not.

thanks for the responses. All accounts that were set up previously are still active so if you posted a boat for sale, you need to go back in and upload it again.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-07-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
Anyone been able to get to the site? I am not able to get there.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
Works for me. Try clearing your cache.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-07-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
The site is up and working. Must have to do with something on my computer at work because i can acces the site from home. Great job Ian!
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-07-2007, 10:19 PM Reply   
My boat is back up, thanks Ian for ordering back up