Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xravedreamsx)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-17-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
I wanted a Pro-Audio high-efficiency HLCD tower speaker setup that would handle 250-300w RMS each and would go head to head with Wetsounds, NVS, or the like without breaking the bank, while looking sick. This setup was to replace my Liquid Trends 6x6.5" Polk setup, and after hearing both NVS Entity's and Wetsonds Pro80's in person, it just wasn't cutting it for me. I finally got around to doing it after many months of research and wanted to do a write up for all of you who want to build your own, showing it is possible!

I went with Eminence pro-audio for the speakers. And from my understanding, correct me if I’m wrong, NVS had used similar speakers from Eminence in the past with great success. I used the Beta-8cx for the midrange, but the toss up was between the PS-2002 or ASD-1001 drivers. I ended up purchasing and testing both. If price was no object then the 2002 wins with more handling power and lots of volume, but they are on the heavier side. The ASD-1001 on the other hand pound for pound, dollar for dollar was the winner, still crystal clear, clean accurate sound to 80ft+, and less expensive. This setup gave me an overall sensitivity of 97db 1watt/1meter =) and a 6ohm impedance (my amp will thank me).

The hardest part was finding an 8" enclosure that was within my budget high quality, strong that looked and sounded great, and was the correct volume for the Beta-8cx's. I searched everywhere and after running the numbers on the Bazooka 8" tower speaker, took the plunge and bought a set. The beta-8cx with compression driver ended up fitting perfect, correct volume for the ported enclosure and was well balanced front to back in terms of weight distribution.

My components with Out the Door prices I paid:

Eminence Beta-8cx Midrange x 2 = $140
Eminence ASD-1001 Compression Driver x 2 = $100
2-way Pro-Audio 2.5k 500w RMS Crossover x 2 = $100
Bazooka 8" tubbies :$299
Bazooka Clamps: $50
Kicker GR8 Speaker Grills x 2 = $50
TOTAL: $739 for the pair OTD

Could have saved $75 going with a less expensive crossover and regular mesh grills. I plan on just ebay-ing the original bazooka coaxials for hopefully $80. So if cost was everything, could have got this down to a NET of $584 assuming I sell the original speakers from the enclosures.

ASSEMBLY:

Upload
I unloaded the stock speakers from the tubbies. I next wired up the crossover and mounted it inside the tubbie. I've seen other companies that used expanded foam or sealant to secure there crossover, but I just drilled a few holes in the crossover and bolted it to some stock bolt holes inside the tubbie. (I may later add some spray foam to make it more secure, since the crossover is a little heavy).

Upload
For the speakers, I applied some thread lock and screwed on the compression driver to the back of the Beta-8cx, perfect fit.

Upload
Next I connected the quick disconnects, set the speaker in place to find the bolt holes lined up perfect and screwed the grill on.

I did an impedance test on the complete setup to find them at 6 ohm each speaker. Which allowed me to run a pair in parallel with less stress on my amp.

REVIEW:

Upload
After the first build, I decided to build another pair. I wired all 4 up to my fosagte 800a4. I bridged and ran each pair in parallel with the high pass initially set at 175hz. They are mounted on my 2005 V-ride's stock Swoop tower (Mounted Pics soon, when I get her out of storage). I hooked them up, I was SUPRISED how sensitive, crystal clear and accurate the sound was even at very low volumes. I cranked them up to full power and all I can say is WOW, no clipping, no distortion, just clean sound. At the same power, they sounded 5 times louder than my polks, and there was no way the polks were going to handle 1000watts RMS. These have to be some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard, at 80ft+ while riding, the midrange and clarity is unreal. I was amazed how well the bazooka ported design makes the Beta-8cx's sound, it makes the 8's sound like 10's! 4 of these speakers while riding almost sounds like overkill, and just a pair would blow away my 6 polks anyday.

The first day of testing while riding on Collins Lake I actually got pulled over by a Sheriff because there were complaints that they could hear the music and lyrics ;) loud and clear across the lake at the marina. LOL =)