Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       02-23-2010, 5:27 AM Reply   
Hey, if anyone has a good opinion on the two of these, I'd love to get some advice. I've got a friend who wants to buy her son a board. He's 115lb, 5'6", shoe size 9, and 14 years old. Also, and opinion on size would be great.

Thanks!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2010, 5:41 AM Reply   
If he' rails and boxes go with a grind base board.

If not, the Watson 134 (traditional 2010, regular 2009) would probably be a good fit.

Could go with both on a Watson Limited Edition, but that's only in 138, which is too big right now for 115 lbs.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
Wow. So the "bad word" in longer sense is... if he is going to be hitting rails or boxes..
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       02-23-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Hahah, thanks A-dub! Now I'm wondering what the bad word is!

He won't be grinding any rails, so I'll go for the Watson, but how about any of the following combos? Would they be better for him?

Trip/Index 300
P53/Domain 350
P53 Grind/Domain 400
Groove/Transit 400
Witness/Ultra 450

Thanks one more time!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
How experienced is he and what size wake will he normally ride behind?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-23-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
Of those setups I'd go with the Witness Ultra combo.

Index/Domains and Transits are good boots, but base/entry level. Vantage/Shane/Watson/Soven are much nicer boots IMO.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-23-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
I have the witness my brother has the watson. Personally I like the witness a little better, not just because I have one, but I feel its a little faster and a little more predictable on its pop. It is a tad looser, just ride both without the center fin if he likes that. They both land really soft so I would give them the tie in that department. The watson is a bigger popping board but rider skill has more to do with it than the board. Just look at all the older footage of riders riding boards that have gone to the wayside. Don't get me wrong I love the watson and I'm going to demo the hybrid next year but I just think the witness is a little more fun. Plus if he is going to hit rails in the future the spine down the middle of the watson is a little more squirly for beginners. The witness slides much better. Just ask one of the greatest cable riders of all time, Fooshee. If I'm going to rate my favorite LF boards it would be
1. Witness
2. Watson
3. S4
That's just my 2cents
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-23-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
+1 for the Witness. I have it and it's the best board I have rode. Very smooth, easy to ride and has good predictable pop. He should be able to ride the witness and progress with it for many years to come. It looks like the 132 would fit him the best. I would go with last years model since it will be cheaper and I don't really care for the color scheme on this years. IMO.
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       02-23-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! A-dub, he's just working on jumping. I'd say he might learn 180's and jumping wake to wake this summer. He's riding behind a 21' fishing boat, but I think he has some friends with better set ups. Probably no towers though...

Sounds like from our choices, the Witness might be the best choice.

Thanks!