Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 4:41 AM Reply   
Hi all! I've been wakeboarding since 2000...behind a 12 foot boston whaler on the same old board (don't know what's funnier the board or the boat situation)

I'd love to demo some boards, but there is not even a decent wakeboard shop in my area (Virginia Beach, VA, USA). I'm female, 5'6", 115lb, and have been riding on a 125 blindside five-0 board just for kicks when there's no wind out. I want to increase my skill level (from intermediate) this summer and I'd love any advice you all could give!!

I read the post on the LF Jett, but some guy at wakeside.com and another friend in NC got my eyes on the ronix one 132. I guess my biggest question is for somebody to compare the girls board to the guys board. Are there any disadvantages of the ronix one?? All the guys seem to be raving about it. Any advice would be great!

Kind Regards,
Liz - VA Beach - U.S.
Old    wakejjboard12            05-03-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
i just bought the jett but haven't had a chance to get on it yet... but to answer your question the only boards i've ever owned were guys boards until now. i've been on the premier for 3 seasons and just decided to find something a little quicker. i love guys boards. generally theres no difference other than the graphics.
Old     (cathy)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-03-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
I've also been riding guy boards. I just switched from a TFD 136 to Marius 134. I think there is a bigger difference when it comes to bindings. I was riding Byerlys, which I love, but my right foot would slip forward. I'm in the Ember's now and it's a much better fit.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-03-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
There is no major difference other than graphics... you may find smaller sizes in mens boards and bindings and thats it... I am getting the Jett also. The first reason why I wouldnt get the ronix one is because of the fin setup. It has 4 fins, Id rather have one with 4 molded small fins and ride without the center fins. Also IMO the One is not as light as I thought it would be, LF boards are still lighter.

What are you thinking for bindings? The LF Melissas are really sweet!
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses! Good to hear there's not much of a difference. But what about the weights of the boards? A guy posted the weight of the ronix one is 9 pounds. Jessica, do you know how heavy the jett is?

As far as bindings, the Melissas look sweet! Has anyone tried out closed toed bindings? Everyone is raving about them, so I was considering buying the girls ronix closed toed ones instead of the LF bindings...Cris, have you tried them?

Really wish I could compare a LF cadence or Jett or something with the ROnix one!!!

BTW, with 115lb and 5 feet 6, do you guys think I should go with something around a 132?
Old    wakejjboard12            05-03-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Liz,
actually my board was shipped to my parents house and I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO SEE IT YET!!! (it's killing me) i'm heading over tonight and i can let you know then. as for closed toe... I LOVE'EM!!!!!!! got the '06 murrays last year and they are super comfy. the murrays do however seem to have a bad track record. (i'm on my second pair) hyperlite is great with their warranties though... just recieved my new '07s yesterday but i've heard nothing but good things about ronix boots. i know they would look pretty sick on the jett 132.
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Yea!!! Jessica, let me know how it does when you use it!
Old     (lnds143)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-03-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
I ride the jett 136 and it is really light, much lighter than the one board. My boyfriend tried the one and didn't really like it, he said it was very loose. Also I have heard that the one board gets spider cracks around the bindings, it doesn't affect the ride, but I wouldn't want to pay that kind of money for a board that gets spider cracks. I have been riding the jett for 5 months now and absolutely love it. I used to ride a parks 133, and the jett is more forgiving. It has lots of pop, soft landings, and is very light.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-03-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
I've only ridden the closed toe murrays, which were ok... im not too much of a fan of hyperlite bindings in general.

I tried on the ronix rise bindings but i really couldnt say because they werent my size...

Closed toe bindings are supposed to help with heelside edging cause your toes would still be touching the boots when edging, but IMO there isnt much of a difference, as long as you have some bindings that are snug, its going to be the same.

Of all the women specific bindings Ive tried, Ive liked the Melissa best, the hold your feet really well. I have the Transit bindings which are my fave (Had 05s, now have the 07s). The sizing part can be tricky though, I am a size 7.5-8 foot, its on the thinner side and Im a 7-8 on the Transits, but a 5-7 on the Melissas. the 7-9 were a bit loose around the heel area.

As for size, you could go with anything between a 131-136, depends on what you prefer, i am 95 lbs and Ill be getting the 132.
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-04-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
awesome...thanks for the posts. i think i've decided on driving for a half day so i can get out and demo the jett, maybe some other lf boards, and the ronix one. i'll let you all know how it goes!!

enjoy the water this weekend!!
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-07-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
Alright, I'm ordering today. Jessica and Cris, have you ridden your Jett boards yet? I'm hoping to hear from both of you there are no regrets.

I have in mind to buy the Jett 132 and the Melissa bindings. Can I get one last opinion from anyone who's ridden the Jett?
Old    wakejjboard12            05-07-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
haven't ridden it yet but it is SUPER light! i'm gonna love this board. no regrets here.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
^^^ same here... From what Ive read about how that board rides, I know it fits my style and I wont regret buying it!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
Liz - you are taking advice from two people who haven't ridden it yet. Is that smart to do?

Demo, Demo, Demo....or find a place with a good return/exchange policy.

I rode the Jett 136 and it was a brick in the water, very slow. I also rode it finless hoping that would help, but nope...still slow. I have tried 4 boards this year and right now I am leaning towards a CWB. Ronix One is in the car ready to be ridden this afternoon I hope.
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-07-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Bs flower...I haven't bought it yet and just read your post about the ronix coy...was about to ask your opinion anyway:-)

Pretty pretty please let me know how the ronix one goes. This was the first board I wanted to consider. So, tell me all about it. Will you be riding the 132? Also, can you compare the ronix coy, one, and the cwb sapphire?

On wakeside.com, they rate the one as having the most pop, and they have a lousy rating of the sapphire, but i'm hearing good things about the sapphire from other shops. There's not much info on the jett or the one...I'd really appreciate your opinion...can't wait!!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Liz if you can't demo, you might want to call Grizzly Sports and talk to them about an exchange or refund policy. I know they do free demos for people near their store. Between my crew we have had over 10 boards out already this year riding them around. Maybe you talk the guys into sending you the LF Jett 132 and if you don't like it you just pay the shipping to send it back to them and they refund the cost of the board or something like that. They are all good guys there and if you talk to them and explain you can't demo, I am pretty sure they will work with ya.
Old    wakejjboard12            05-07-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
bsflower- why would removing the fins make any board faster? wouldn't that make it track less= SLOW?

ps- liquid force reps are marketing the Jett as the 3rd fastest in their line.

Liz,
everyone on this forum is going to have different opinions about all of the same boards. different riding styles= different experiences, your best bet is to DEMO.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
^^^ again I agree...

The Jett is not a super fast board because it is intended as a more wake to wake with straight up pop than an into the flats board. I like not so fast boards, speed makes me scared and I like having time to set a proper edge and handle position, thats why Im getting the Jett.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
The board was sticky with the fins, so I thought take them off and see what happens. There are two molded fins, it was the third fin on each side that I took out. Didn't help the feel unforunately.

No go on the ride tonight, the crew is working late and the lake is glass. www.lksamm.com Totally bummed. Kinda wish I had ridden the One this morning vs the Sapphire, but the lake was glass this morning too and I really wanted to ride the Sapphire again.
Old     (nautique_04_226)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-07-2007, 11:43 PM Reply   
Were do ride at. I live in Portsmouth and we go to the nortwest river ever weekend.
Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-08-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
Portsmouth, VA? I'm in Virginia Beach, so I Usually try to go right behind my house..Back Bay, Broad Bay, Seashore State Park, Linkhorn Bay (inland side of the Lesner Bridge) Do you know anyone around there who rides??

BTW, Fred, did you find a place to demo boards at near you?

Thx,
Liz
Old    wakejjboard12            05-08-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
sticky = faster.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-08-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
I think it is all a matter of what the rider prefers, what's their style... I've never had a chance to demo boards before buying them, and I've relied on what others have told me about the board and from what I ve read on the product description. I think Ive read enough (from normal people that have ridden the board and from lf product description) about the Jett to know that I will like it. Also I ride the Cadence which is Amber's previous board and she kind of just improved landings and pop on this one without making it a faster board, so i think it will suit me.

It is all up to what you prefer, you should try and get every opinion possible before making a decision. It is always best to demo, but I know that sometimes isnt possible
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
Sticky = slow, not moving fast. But I am no expert in wakeboards designs or models, I just try different things and see what happens. In this case the Jett 136 felt slow, so I took off the fins and it was still slow.

Fins to me mean traction and control not speed. Speed I thought comes from the shape of the bottom of the board and the edge sidewall. But like I said, I am not expert. I am on a public forum giving my personal opinion of a board that I rode.

If you really want to know if fins determine the speed of a board call a wakeboard expert.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
Is this a first...Cris and I are somewhat agreeing on something...the board is slow and demo is always best if possible. This has to be a first time.
Old     (nautique_04_226)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-08-2007, 11:21 PM Reply   
I don't know know anybody in that area. It is salt water we don't put the boat in salt water. We have a 2004 air nautique and it is worth the drive not to put it in salt water. It is only 35 minutes to the north west river from my house. We put in at Bob's fishing hole on route 168 like you go to Nags Head. I have not found a place around here that demos boards,but I know ski world on Laskin road sell liquid force have you tried them. I got a wakeskate from them. The next closest place is Glass and Powder in Richmond.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Liz - you have email in regards to the One board.