Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-08-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
I posted in need a third but any local parks or lessons?
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
ski rixen cable park
dean lavelle ski school
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-08-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Ski Rixen looks awesome! I'll be hitting that up for sure. Thanks!
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-09-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
u go down there a lot Mike? Im down there about 4x a year
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       10-09-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
I used to ride down there for 2 years when I went to school with Marc Diego and all those cable rats.
lovely scene cool people and a fun cable for sure !
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-15-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
Can you guys tell me what to expect? I'm not going to ship my gear for one day of riding. Do they have a pretty good rental inventory? Man, I'm stoked for this and some surfing!
Jay - Our main office is in Ft. Lauderdale now.
Any advice on places to hang and eat?
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       10-15-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
I grew up there, although i am in Ohio for the last 2 years.
As far as Ski Rixen goes if you don't have your own gear don't bother going. No sliders with rental stuff and that includes helmets. At least that is how it used to be. I would call to confirm. But with gear it is good park. bring a set of gloves if you can. The handles can tear into you if you ride for a few hours.

I used to ride out in west Lauderdale at Markam Park. One of the best places in the world to ride if you can get past the whole alligator thing. Unless you get a north or south wind there is about 3 miles or so of total glass always.
I lived east on the water so it was a long drive but worth it.

Now i am sitting in Ohio looking at the temp and the rain thinking maybe i should burn some frequent flier mileage and head down sometime soon.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-15-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Where are you staying? I lived there for 7 years so I know the area very well and was also a rixen rat for about 5. Like they said if you don't bring your own gear don't bother going and that includes a helmet. As for where to go out and to eat, fort lauderdale is a VERY BIG place so it depends on your location because all parts of town have their own spots to go out. If you are in actual "fort lauderdale" goto this area called Las Olas. The best way to get there is i95 to broward bvd and head east towards the beach. You will start approaching downtown about 2-3 miles down broward. Take a right on Andrews avenue and then a left on las olas bvd and grab the first parking spot you see. There is a new restaurant/ultra lounge calle Yolo right before the bank of America building that has a sick bar scene and good food. Another amazing restaurant in las olas is Johnny v's. The head chef/owner was on iron chef and they have a cheese menu that is out of this world. Big city grill on las olas also has good food and a good bar scene. Now if you want bars/clubs and a strait party scene. Instead of taking a left on las olas go right and you are in riverfront. It is all bars and clubs and will offer pretty much any scene you want, but not upscale like las olas. There are a number of parking garages in riverfront but reccomendation would be too drive through "riverfront" and take a left on himarshee and park in the parking garage there because that's where all the good bars are. It's just a block away.
If you are in the boca area, goto Misner park. Just do a google search for the directions. It's an upscale area with bars and restaurants and MILF central. South Beach is only a 30-40 minute drive and for everyone visiting south Florida the first time I think it's a must. Take 95 south to 395 and the signs will get you there. The parking garages are on Collins ave. Just park there and walk over to the next block which is ocean drive which is the south beach you see in all the movies. It actually is cool to drive down ocean first to check out the scene. If you don't mind spending some coin, Nobu for dinner is where it is at. It is in the Shore club hotel in sobe. Beautiful girls and a sick bar scene. All the girls there are models. If you specify exactly where you are at and how far you are willing to drive I will get more specific.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-15-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Our office is on 2800 Marina Mile Blvd in Fort Lauderdale. Does that help? I'm sure I'll be in a hotel nearby.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-15-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Yep helps a ton, you are 5 minutes from las olas/riverfront/downtown fort lauderdale and then a 30 minute drive too south beach on 95. Definitely check out las olas for dinner and also dinner on fort lauderdale beach. Fort lauderdale beach has this three story complex of bars called beach place. To get there you can just take the way I told you to las olas and just take las olas bvd strait to the beach and turn left. You can't miss beach place, and the parking garage is about a block after turning onto the beach from las olas. The ritz Carlton on the beach has a really good bar too.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-15-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a good time with plenty to do. I better apply for my cougar permit!