Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-23-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Well I ended up selling the 01' F350 7.3 now looking to downsize and adding a little more comfort without spending a ton. So I've decided (more than likely) on an 04-07 F150 supercrew. I have some experience with this truck as a close friend has a 2008 lifted Lincoln Mark LT on 35's and the truck does great towing his 21' Stratos Bass boat - but how do they do towing a 5K lb+ 23' wakeboat - I'll be towing a Supreme v226 or v232?

Mostly towing pretty flat, but at least once a month it would be towing up the m1 (Pillsbury) and over some fairly serious grades on the 20 or the 29. I'm sure it might struggle a little, which I'm not too concerned with - but how do the trannys hold up - thoughts? optinions? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

FYI - I planning on running the truck with leveling let and 33" Nittos Mud Grapplers
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-23-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have an 05 Lariat Supercrew with 150K KM ( Not Miles) and I just replaced my tranny. I pull my boat locally to the lake 20 minutes away. On the flat areas my truck is fine. When I pull to our summer house I don't like my truck as much. We have a highway here called the coquihalla and it is known for eatting vehicles with it's big hills. I have no doubt that the couple times a year that I pulled my boat there and back effected my tranny. These hill alone have me swearing that my next hauler will be a diesel. I do really like my truck. It has all the room for 4 adults and I really like the interior on these trucks. I have a couple issues but I think anybody does once you have a bit of an older vehicle.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-23-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
I had an 05, bone stock. That truck struggled towing over Donner Summit. It was hammer down and flogging it in 3rd the whole way with a 2006 malibu vride in tow. I've heard that the 6 speed trannys give a much better tow than mine did with the 4 speed.

That said, maybe my expectations are too high. The truck would certainly pull the vride over a 7000' pass in the sierras at the speed limit, so it wasn't THAT bad.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-23-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
I've got a 2005 F-150 super crew with the 5.4 as well (and the factory tow deal with 3.73 gears and some other crap). It does fine on the flats and minor grades but going over the I-90 pass in WA sucks. It has to drop 2 gears and revv up like crazy to keep the speed limit. And when it revvs up so high it shakes and shudders so I try not to do it for long. The truck only has 50k miles on it, too, so it's not light the engine is worn out or anything.

I'm not really happy with it, and wouldn't recommend it. I tow an 04 Sanger V210 which is pretty light compared to a 24 footer.

I used to have an Expedition with the same motor (but older) and thought this would be better. It's definitely better stability-wise on the freeway (don't get tugged around as much by the boat) but the power is no different (even though the specs say it has ~40 more hp or something).

I'm thinking of trading it in for a Tundra or Ram 1500, both of which have something like 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. I think those would be much better.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-23-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
At the pricepoint you are looking at, a Nissan titan is worth a look. A lot more power for similar money.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-23-2011, 3:22 PM Reply   
2005 f150 2WD 5.4L 3.73 tow package.. bought it new. Tow my own boat plus customers boats 20-24ft, in Fl so no real grades.Just hit 200k miles. Real happy with the truck. Runs drives and shifts like the day I bought it. Two problems....Lower ball joints @150k and the screen on the cluster that displays the odometer compass and what not went out @175k. Had it repaired for $175. Set of spark plugs and coolant change every 100k.......trans. service and fuel filter every 50k ...tires and brakes about every 60k. I would love a new one but I am scared it wont serve me as well as this one has. Obviously its not going to tow like the 7.3L but I think they are great trucks. Good luck
As for the ram 1500..buddy of mine tows my boat every once in blue moon and it does not measure up to my ford it works harder and uses a lot more gas doing it.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-23-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
I know a gasser will never measure up to the diesel and an 08' F250 6.4 will come as well within the next couple of years, but I was planning on getting an F150 for the wife first and hopefully it will serve my towing needs for a little while.

I have towed quite a bit with an 04' Dodge 1500 hemi and although it had plenty of power it felt like I was towing with a Tacoma and they are way to cheap looking/feeling in and out.

I never thought about the Titan cause the wifey is so into the look and interior of the F150's. I like the way the Titan looks! I do have a freind with the Infinity version of the Armada which I believe has the same engine and although I know a little heavier doesn't seem to have near the power of the F150 - although I have never towed with the Nissan. After a quick search they are close in price, but I don't know if I can get around the plain interior of the Nissan (photos) I will have to see one in person with leather (if available) to consider it.

The F150's have such a nice interior in Lariat dress that they are hard to compete with . . . . . I just want to make sure I'm not going to pop the damn thing trying to maintain the speed limit while towing 5K lbs over grades like the m1, or the 20 from Clearlake to the valley, or up to Bullards or up 32 to Almanor.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-23-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
I got an 06 lariat supercrew with the 5.4 and tow a 23' malibu. It's got a 6" lift and 35's. Like others above have said it does the job, just not as good as you diesel did. I can cruise along fairly well at about 75 and only struggle a little on the hills, and like Shawndoggy said, I'm still doing the speed limit so it's not that bad.

I cant say anything about the longevity of it because I only use it to tow, so it only has about 40k miles on it. No problems yet though. I don't think you will find a nicer interior in any other brand of trucks in the years your looking at.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-23-2011, 10:54 PM Reply   
TQ,

My home lake is Pillsbury. I have a F-150 with a 5.4. I pull a Sanger V210 plus 800+ in hard weight and what ever else I have in the boat and truck no sweat.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-23-2011, 10:56 PM Reply   
PS, Hit me up when you come up so we can ride
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       12-24-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
I have a 2009 F150 4x4 with the 320hp-5.4L. If you are going from a diesel to a old 5.4L you are going to be very disappointed.

This 2009 is an absolute dog without pulling anything, let alone with a boat behind it...lol.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-24-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
Walt - do you tow over the m1? Potter is just so damn bad these days I have been driving the m1 the past few years. I sure the f150 will do it, but just for how long . . . .
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-24-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Walt r u towing over the m1? That is really my only concern I think at this point is the steep ass grade until sled ridge. Hopefully we get some rain here real soon or we're going to be wheeling up there not riding . . .
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-25-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
TQ, Your talking about the road that goes by CC camp and dumps out in upper lake ? I've been over that way but not towing. I don't think I'd consider going that way no matter what I was driving because of the switch backs.

I go through Potter and up John day hill to the county road. I pull the boat up in Spring and leave it until fall. The F-150's seems to hold up to the dirt road really well. My wife's last car was a 08 Pathfinder and there would be parts falling off it from the dirt road. Ha-ha

Make sure you get it geared right. If you have tall gears it's going to be a pig.

And yes your right about the rain !
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-26-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
Personally if you're towing that kind of weight up any kind of incline, hwihc is seems you will now and again, I wouldn't do anything but a big block or diesel. Small blocks are a pain towing, but they do alright with moderate weight on flat terrain. 460 or 6.9/7.3 is the only way I would go. You can get a 7.3 up to (I was to say) 2003. Find a crew cab or excursion to fit your needs, or buy whatever you want for every day use and get an older 460 or 6.9/7.3 truck for towing. Been there done that on towing with small blocks, not fun. Aside from that, I'd avoid automatic transmissions. They're a pain and need additional cooling. ZF5 or ZF6 are fine if you don't increase power ridiculously over stock, and NV4500 is a great choice for a ridiculously high torque tow pig.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-27-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
I had an 01 4x4 3.55 gears, towed our tige great till I put big tires on it. I wouldn't recomend putting big tires on it especially with 3.55 gears. Try to look for 3.73 gears if you can.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-06-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
Think I found one and about to pull the trigger - seems like a fair deal . . .

08' F150 Crew 5.4 4x4 Lariat Original owner and has every options avl (gps, sunroof, leather, heated seats, etc, etc)
80K miles . . . $20K

Truck is as clean as they come and doesn't look like its ever had anything in the bed or even a hitch slid into the reciever.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-09-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Seems like a good deal - mostly highway miles. I wouldn't be worried about high miles as long as it is real clean, that means it was mostly taken care of.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-09-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
I've used an '03 F-150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L since 2008 to pull my Supra 24SSV with no problems short of replacing the radiator which was bad before I got the boat. And this is on the foothills of the Smokey's in Tennessee.