Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
Who is it going to be? Are you serious it's anna hejek with her bs 5. s bend is a front flip where you extend your arms haha she did it second try. Pls anyone who can do a bs 5 how many trys did it take you? write back because don't get me wrong ramei is a good rider but I will kill myself if she wins this award
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
I would vote BS 5 too...that trick is hard as can be. Anna rips.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
nicola needs to learn something cool otherwise she will be out of the spot light
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2009, 10:14 PM Reply   
nah.... she just has to keep doing what she is doing til the others catch up.... which by then she'll have something else new and amazing.

If her or her father reads this, no offense, but she rides like a man.... in a good way. Its just powerful and precise... those things don't always go hand-in-hand with women's wakeboarding.... one of the videos of her she throws a Indy Front-roll 180 (indy scarecrow, but the 180 is late) ... just the tricks she does that everyone is doing are much better
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
she has been doing the same thing for how long? cool moby dick, whirlybird. Cool it's been done. the only reason she is on top is because every other girl is progressing. let me explain. she played it safe doing the same stuff over and over again. everyone else is trying to get better. enough said. Why did you mention her dad what is he going to hunt you down for a complement. wow!!!!!
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-24-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
oh noes. do I smell another spring crazyness bashing thread?
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
no no I'm not bashing I'm sick of hype. we are talking about best trick. bs 5 vs s bend that's all nicola just happend to come up so she might actually try something worth talking about
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
isnt it a bit early to be calling best trick of the season?
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 10:35 PM Reply   
well I want to see some cool stuff out of the girls there is so much potential
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
If I can go out throw a moby dick, whirly, whatever else is boring to you but know I can stop them 99% of the time and win with those, of course I'm going to do just that.... and get paid.

Remember that interview Shapiro did years ago where he comes off a little cocky saying something to the effect of, "I won... and I didn't even need to throw a mobius..."

If you're last off the dock (she usually is) and you know your run of solid tricks will win it for you why on earth would you go out and throw your harder tricks you may not land.... giving up an almost sure victory.
Its not like since she can win with a given run she quits learning new tricks... I'll bet she takes a few sets a day trying new stuff everytime... that doesn't mean it is going to end up in a contest pass.

Don't fix what isn't broken.... until someone can give her a run for her money why on earth would she change up her unbeatable passes?

**I mentioned Chris Butler because I've seen that guy get mean on here.... just trying to stay on everyone's good side.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
haha did you really say that just get paid. wow i'm not making fun of you but why would you even wakeboard if all you were going to do was the bare minum. haha that's pretty much the same thing as sandbagging. that cant be fun. and i'm not trying to get on anyones bad side but are you scared of someone over the internet hahaha
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Chris Butler's seed formed Nicola Butler...who knows what he is capable of.

Not sandbagging....being smart.
She can show up, ride, leave with a few thousand dollars and some more sponsor money coming later, which last season was almost a sure thing
-or-
try a new trick to impress Mr. John Phillips, eat she isn't great at it yet and get nothing, or a lot less...

thats a tough one...

There isn't a ton of money floating around women's wakeboarding.... if she doesn't have to go out and risk it all on some go-for-broke trick why would she...

Doesn't happen a ton in wakeboarding, but other sports like skating/snowboarding/etc etc if the last rider up is in first, no way of losing they go out, put on a little show, but don't usually try tricks where they run the risk of falling/injury just for the crowd.... thats what the videos are for.

a handful of pro guys have hit 10's....you don't see them trying them off the double-up on the Pro-Tour....they stick the 9, because it is more consistant.

Its a matter of contests being about showing you're the best and getting money/exposure... doesn't matter if you win by 30 pts or 1 pt...still a win
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
ok just one thing. look at every vid of nicola. other than the things she does in the contests what tricks does she do. just look and then get back to me. amber wing ts 7 thats going all out and sticking something sick.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2009, 1:28 AM Reply   
Nick's pretty right on, if Tiger woods is 4 strokes ahead on the 18th and he gets in a fairway bunker, he's not going to go for the pin. When your job is to win wakeboard events, your not going to go all tin cup.
Old     (stokemetercom)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
I have to agree with TFD on this one. It's a business for these people pure and simple. They have to do what's in their best interest at any given time. Timing has a lot to do with things as well and when it's a good time to show your hand to the other riders. .....or it's all just a conspiracy! :-)
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-25-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
I agree with Nick,TFD,and Gary. Nothing wrong with being consistent with your riding.

whereas best trick goes, I would have to say backside 5, but I can't deny that an s-bend as a formidable (sp?) trick and wouldnt be surprised if Ramei took it
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-25-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
Pro events are boring to begin with, that being said there is definately some money for women by riding contests. Nicola seems to be a through and through contest rider. Just like Soven. Sure there are good vids out there of their riding, but they make their living winning contests. The best riders in the world imo are known for not taking first at all contests necesarily but doing reallllllllly well and winning a bunch especially early in their careers and then really pushing new tricks and freeriding after they are established.

If it were me, and I were Nicola, this thread would pump me up so much to go ride and stick a bs 5 today!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
I guess it depends on why you ride as a professional, right?

Do you ride to win contests first, then entertain?

Or, do you ride to entertain first, and if you win great.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-25-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
Does KG play bball to win or entertain?

Does Peyton play football to win or entertain?

The list could go on, but I would argue that pros who play to win are on the whole much more respected than pros who play to 'entertain'. I didn't say get more press, but who would you rather have on your team, a Jerry Rice who was great and played to win, or a Terrell Owens who was great and played to entertain?

If my 'job' is winning contests...you better believe I'm going to play to win.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Very good points Loren, but wakeboarding isn't a team sport, they are on an island, and they aren't paid millions by an owner to perform night in and night out. My guess is that most "contest riders" ride to win, no doubt. IMO, why ride contests otherwise. But some ride to entertain I'm sure. Maybe they don't like to compete as badly as others, or whatever. It seems to me Wakeboarding is the kind of pro sport where you can get paid (videos) and NOT compete in comps. It's pretty cool that way.

I honestly feel that you can't compare team sports to individual sports. Very different mind set. On top of that, IMO, there are some cultural differences between major sports and wakeboarding.

Not trying to hyjack. Back on topic.

Have any of the ladies thrown a 7 of any kind in a comp? I know Amber did it in Push Process.
Old     (ouwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
I bet you nicola lands the womens first heel 7.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
some of the best riders in the world dont compete, or arent known to comepete

keith lyman
ben greenwood
aaron aubrey
colin harrington
Old    wakejjboard12            03-25-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
"Have any of the ladies thrown a 7 of any kind in a comp? I know Amber did it in Push Process."

She landed the first in a comp last year.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
AMO, amber landed a 7 at a pro tour stop last year i beilieve.

Of course people compete to win, buit i think John Phillips is talking about the huge gap between pro mens and womens riding. I have also wondered why there is such a big gap when they have the same riding time and even coaches.

I cant believe people are talking about how Nicola needs to step up, haha. Last year she came out of no where and completely dominated because she was the only one that was pushing it. The other girls have been having the same run since 1999 it seems.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-25-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Are you serious? Nicola is one of the most progressive riders the women's tour has seen in years. She explodes with confidence and style and consistently stomps the hell out her tricks!IMO the skill it takes to consistently land ticks time and time again in a contest far surpasses the ability to land one here and there while freeriding.

Raime and Anna are definitely gonna continue to push women's riding along with Nicola, it is amazing what the girls are doing these days!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
The male wakeboarders who don't compete have hammered out a living through free riding and being in videos. Additionally, I would be willing to bet that these guys are also very busy on the clinic circuit or have some good endorsement deals. Other than The Chick Flick, you don't see many female riders in videos or that have a lot of endorsements. Dallas has had some over the years, but most of the ads in the mags feature male riders. It is probably much more difficult to make a living at the sport for females being free riders. Melissa Marquardt has a reputation for being more of a free rider, but I know I have seen her name come up at contests from time to time.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
all im trying to say is girls have the oppertunity to be just as good as the guys. they just arent trying as hard. as someone said earlier (im not going to get on anyones bad side but) if you don't have to do harder tricks why try. haha it's about progression otherwise the sport will die.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-25-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Raimi is really close on a heel 7.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
"all im trying to say is girls have the oppertunity to be just as good as the guys. they just arent trying as hard"...

...are you serious...?

I guess that also means all the pro woman snowboarders aren't trying "as hard" either since they aren't doing what the guys are... or for that matter, all woman in pro sports since most woman's records, and accomplishments fall short of what the men have already done.

But...THIS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE NOT TRYING AS HARD... that statement is BS!!!!

I honestly can't believe those words were written...
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
what you are seeing in these Girls/Guys contest runs are their consistent tricks not what they are capable of doing outside there normal contest run.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
"all im trying to say is girls have the oppertunity to be just as good as the guys. they just arent trying as hard"
^^^ maybe one of the most stupid things ever said on this site.

I don't know who you are but I'm willing to bet Nicola would win against you in a comp...

So with your logic plus some basic math we get:
Nicola = not trying
Nicola > you
You < not trying .... I don't know what less than not trying is, but yikes.

Keep rippin' ladies.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-25-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
"You < not trying..." hahaha! thats awesome
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
I agree, easily one of the most ridiculous things ever said on WakeWorld and that's no easy feat!

Creating an account just to start a thread bashing female riders - nice work!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-25-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
I think he is just trying to wind everyone up. Nicola is really good friends with both Raimi and Anna and was stoked for them when they landed their "firsts". How does he know what Nicola is doing? Or any of the other girls for that matter.

The season hasn't started and he's talking about best trick?? And also "I will kill myself if that happens"

Easy there tiger.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-25-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
i really enjoy watching the girls ride and think they are def progressing the sport everyday...
one thing thta i think would be col to see though is the women getting to hit a double up at the end of there pro tour run??? i dont know why they dont do this right now, but thought it would be cool to see hijack over lol
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Nick don't talk crap when when you don't know who you talking dealing with. It's funny that her own dad understands what I'm trying to do but you are too ignorant. I just want to see some girls step it up.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
He said you are trying to wind everyone up... he knows what you are doing.... getting on to cause sh*t.... awesome.

I don't know who I am dealing with but odds are if you could throw down as well as Nicola, and as consistant as she maybe I would know who you are.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
I've never heard of you so you must just sit on here all day and act like your awsome, but in all reallity your just some loser who just wants to suck up to Nicola. You prob don't even wakeboad. Haha
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-25-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
http://www.boardingitup.com/Local%20pages/wisconsin_local_page.htm
Old    wakejjboard12            03-25-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
Its his 2nd day on the board and already causing drama... not cool.

I think the ladies have really stepped it up lately. Keep shreddin' girls!
Old     (gretchen)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
I think John Phillips likes to "sit on here all day and act like he is awesome." Your profile says "all you do is wakeboard." Maybe you should stop wakeboarding all day and stop using the phrase "haha" to much and get a job :-) haha
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
Its really funny when two 20 year old know it alls argue back and forth. As I said in a previous post that is what is wrong with this site is IDIOTS like these two pretending to be experts. Nick I have watched you take so many different sides on Nicola in the past two month's. Just recently you were shooting off your mouth to Nicola's Dad whether the boat Nic had was hers. Now on here on this thread it sounds like you are best buds with her and her dad. Please take a side and stop stiring crap!

John if you do decide to do that if Rami does win PLEASE have some one record it and please post on You Tube for us all hahahahaha
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
One other point everyone on here keeps talking about riders making a living off money from doing videos. How many of you actually know how much these riders make off videos. I think if you two experts knew that you would not keep implying that riders are making money off videos (or at very least the kind you are implying)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
I haven't read the thread but my vote for best trick right now is the HS BS 5. I think its really cool that Raimi landed an S-Bend, but an S-Bend isn't really a tech trick, its a balls trick. A bs 5 is a tech trick!!
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
well jim that's a vary good point but use your brain for a sec and listen to this "IDOT" Benny g, keith lyman. They both have thier own houses and boats, and they don't have jobs. wow it sounds like they make money off being in videos, what a concept. Keith dosn't have a boat sponsor so he paid for that. in case you wanted to bring that up.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
thank you kyle that's what this thread was about but some people like to get off topic
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
John, haha yeah no worries. I just feel like with the S-Bend, if you gave me one set and five tries I would land it and never fall on it again. I've just never really had any interest in ever trying one nor dealing with the first couple falls when I'm not paid to take them. The BS 5 is MUCH MUCH MUCH different story.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
really though no one can argue this. That back 5 is such a hard trick how many times have you seen someone fall on an s bend. and then the same with bs 5. it's no contest. the only reason I broght this to wakeworld because i'm sick of people being wronged. all I here is remi's s bend this and that.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
"wow sounds like they make money..." Yeah maybe sounds that way but its not. So maybe just research it more I have a house and a boat but doesnt mean I get paid for videos
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-25-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
John you need to calm down. Your behavior is bordering on hysterical. AND you were the one who dragged Nicola into this.The 2 tricks you are talking about have nothing to do with her.You have absolutely no idea what Nicola is doing (I hope not anyway because that would really creep me out).
I really hope you are not a friend of Anna's.

And take the time to spell Raimi's name correctly.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Not sure what you mean by Benny G not having a job. I think Quicksilver might say different. It is my understanding he is the team manager. Also I have seen him compete on the PWT as recent as last year.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
As far as best trick. I would hope that we will see more great tricks from the girls as the season gets going. I think it is way to early in the year to call trick of the year yet.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-25-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
a bs 5 is sick

but I dont think anyone was wronged by giving props to Raimi

(regardless of which is harder) as far as I'm concerned both are hard moves and both are new moves for women's wakeboarding.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
Bs 5 is #1 thus far.... its only march, and the better part of riding season is yet to come... I think a HS 7 will get thrown down for sure.... and honestly I wouldn't rule out a 9, one of the Hoffmans (I get them mixed up) stomped a 7 and had plenty of room for a 9.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Well there it is if Nick says a BS 5 is #1 then girls stop now cuz Nick has spoken.
Old     (reckless)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-25-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
alright i'm not sure who this john phillips is, but im not going to lie, a pretty messed up thread was started, kind of weird how hating on nicola was brought into womens best trick, there are a lot of girls who are really sick riders but have no been "the first to land something" in my opinion i dont care who wins trick of the year because me and raimi are good friends and im going to be stoked for her if she wins it not going to hate on it, and nicola is a sick rider i dont know why you would hate on it kind of messed up.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
ben c im not sure if ben greenwood is thier team manager anymore. i forget who said it but someone said they let him go do to lack of a budget for wake side of things.
Old     (wakedude1988)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
I'm not hating and I see alot of potential in nicola, I want to see her use some of it. ive seen anna and nicola on the cable and they both rip. they are better than most of the guys. I was really surprized, and that's what im talking about I saw anna do a 7, and nicola has some of the biggest glides ive ever seen. I was amazed. I didn't think any girl could do that. the same day I was watching them I saw anna trying a 900. I was shocked. i dont think she has done it yet because I havent heard anything but I cant wait. I want to see girls really pushing it like that. I would love to see nicola land a hs 7. then my argument would completely change for that. that's all I want to see is progression. like I said earlier if we don't progress then the sport dies
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
John what sport have you been watching the last year? Progression is exactly what the girls did last year. Nicola was basically a freshman on the tour last year. I say basically because she rode I think 2 (not positive on the #) stops in 2007 so it excluded her from rookie of the year but if she would not have rode in 2007 how could anyone not have given it to her? You are an IDIOT! Please research before you go and type your mouth off. You talk like Nicola has done the same bag of tricks for years. 08 was ALMOST her first year. Oh yeah and by her doing her same boring bag of tricks she banked way more than your stupid a$$ did. Again there is video of Anna doing a 9 months ago so way to spout off again idiot!
Old     (gretchen)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
John, no one wants to see progression more then the women riders themselves. And most of them hope they can be the ones who are progressing the sport. Everyone tries their best so I don't think it is fair or appropriate of you to keep tabs on what tricks you think riders should be doing.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
John how about posting a video of your bag of tricks and we will compare it to the girls bag of tricks and if you throw down better we all will bow down and apolagize for our ignorance.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
Anna, are you back up in the midwest now? How's the knee?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
Jim T, what would it prove by John showing his tricks? he is not a pro rider. he doesnt get the same opportunities t like these girls. Pros ride as much as possible and even have coaches, so of course they should be a lot better, but like i asked in my previous post, why is there such a big gap between the riding of pro/am men and pro womens riding?

Im definitely not bashing on womens riding, i think there has been so much progression since amber landed the 7.
Old     (reckless)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-25-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
hey nick, well i was supposed to be leaving yesterday but im not sure what happened, i think my parents forgot about it or something ;P. but i should hopefully be bak up there soon. and my knee is doing okay i guess, i just learned how to walk again like almost 2 weeks ago, and the range of motion is taking a loooong time to get back, so im put behind a tad.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-25-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
We are off the subject but why do you care if they push it or not? IMO I think wakeboarding men and women have really stepped up in the past year. There are new tricks being landed all the time. I say keep on keeping on ladies
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Mitch I didn't start a post bashing the women. Well I correct myself half way in start bashing. And to your question about the gap are you serious? Why can't women lift as much as men? Jump as far and so on? Because in general girls are not as strong. Why can't almost every women in the WNBA dunk as every man in the NBA can? Why don't women play in the MLB? That is just a really stupid question.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2009, 3:44 AM Reply   
Contests are a different animal. Anyone who has competed knows that it's nothing like a day out on the lake free riding. Riding in contests is about being consistent. You fall a couple of times and you're done. That being said, if you were Nicola, would you increase your risk of losing a contest by trying to throw in something you learned 2 weeks ago mid-season? If she falls, she runs the risk of losing to one of the other girls that does rolls and 3's who stands up. It was a BIG refresher last season when Nicola pumped a little life into the pro women's division. Nicola was doing moby dicks, 911's, heel 5's, whirly's, batwings and actually mixing it up on sliders rather than the typical board slide-to-fall-off half-way-down most girls had been doing for the last 4 years.

The women's division was stuck in a rut of complacency for *years* and it is nice to see some of you girls pushing it. Keep up the good work ladies!