Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-03-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
I dislocated my shoulder about a month ago and I was hoping to get on the water here in like 4 weeks, but my doctor suggested I need to wear a brace while I ride. He suggested that i get a SAWA brace I looked at it online and it looked pretty restricting. I was just wondering if anyone else wears a shoulder brace while they ride and what brand is it?
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-03-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
My GF has a bad shoulder & wears a brace from EVS....
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-03-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
I feel your pain. Last year i ended up with 8 shoulder dislocations and i had to have the surgery. But the brace that i wore and still wear when i wakeboard and play basketball is on this sight. http://www.painreliever.com/sully_shoulder.html

I don't really use the straps but it has helped me some.

You should really put some time into shoulder strengthening exercises if i would have done those i would probably not have had to have the surgery. Also when you know your about to fall make sure to tuck your arms in.
Old     (doc51)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-03-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
I have had shoulder surgery from a motocross wreck and I definitely see where your coming from. When I was racing before I came to college, my sponsor EVS sent me this shoulder brace that was not that restricting. It is reasonably priced and it definitely helps. Here is a site that shows what they look like.

http://www.mtbz.com/mountainboard_accessories/evs_sb03.htm

http://www.mtbz.com/mountainboard_accessories/evs_sb02.htm
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
i was sponsored by a brace company, they are very restricting... the best one i ever wore was a canvas one. that thing wouldnt move at all. second best was one i helped design and was made out of neoprene with adjustable tensioning straps. it was easiest on and off so i wore that until i built stregnth back in my shoulder
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-03-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Jruss and Derek have you guys been wearing your brace and done something that would have dislocated your shoulder, but didn't because the brace? The reason I ask is that I would think if I feel hard enough to pop my shoulder out no brace is going to make a difference.

I'm beginning to think I would have rather broken my collar bone or something because that type of injury seems like a one time thing. It seems like once you dislocate your shoulder once you are pretty much screwed if you continue to do the things that made it pop out originally.

If anyone was curious I popped it out snowboarding. I was up at this park in colorado that was pretty secluded from civilization I went up on this wall ride about 15 feet and pushed off too much on the top, so rather than coming down on the transition I fell 15 feet to flat ground and tried to catch myself. Before I knew it I was in a sled being drug up the mountain by a cat since they didn't have any snowmobiles.
My shoulder popped out to the front and the natural position for my arm was above my head so for 4 hours I had to keep my hand on my head until I got to the hospital. Once I arrived at the hospital the doctor walked in said hello and I figured he would want to do x-rays before he popped it back in; well I was wrong. He grabbed my arm and starting wrenching it back and forth and after about 10 seconds of unimaginable pain my shoulder fell back in socket. So, now I am in warm Arizona ready to wakeboard in our 80 degree weather, but instead I get to go to the gym every other day to see the pt who gets amusement out of my pain. Sorry, for the rant, that is just the price I have to pay to play I guess.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
been there done that...most likely you will pop it out again, so here is a very lil known secret about getting it back in. this is new now and very few docs know about it. i got lucky the first time and the doc knew about it but every other time i had to explain, trustm me now, thank me later.

i know this works on that type of dislocation...
lay down on your stomach on the table with your arm dangling straight down. have the doc get a couple turnicates and tie them to a sand bag. they should have sand bags in the er, theyve had them every time for me! take that sand bag and tie it to your wrist that is dangling. then try to relax. after a few minutes have them add more bags. i think it only took 2 for me and about 10 mins. this makes your muscles relax and stretch. then the doc just guides your shoulder back in. you wont feel a thing, it will just ache and feel like you just had a hard workout. the ripping on your shoulder like they did actually really messes up the cartilage and can do ALOT of damage! dont let them do it again! dislocating your shoulder happens once, then gets worse and worse. beware of tantrums. oh yeah and once i only waited 4 weeks before i got out there, i took a big cut into the flats, landed and my shoulder dislocated and i was holding on to the handle with my arm that was dislocated. so dont rush it, just be glad its not middle of summer! hope this helps some. oh yeah and pt love seeing the pain of shoulder injuries. i got to know mine quite well!
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
Yeah once you get that shoulder out it tends to happen more often. One thing you should do is go get an MRI and see if everything is still attached and in place. I tore everything off the bone and also bone pieces of bone off so no mater what kind of force happened to it it would come out. So if everything is still all attached in your shoulder then put some serious time in to shoulder strengthening exercises. Its not all about the big weight make sure you do a tone of band exercises. Get all the ligaments and tendon is tight again because that is what keeps it in.
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-04-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Kevin thanks for the info. I will have to remember that it doesn't sound quite as painful.

Jruss do you think they could tell most of those things from an xray. I have had two xrays since it happen and they say everything looks good.

Any suggestions on a certain brand of brace? I was thinking that evs one but it is only like $50 so I was think about going with a more high-in brace like the one u showed me jruss.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       03-04-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Heres a pic of the brace I wore after my shoulder dislocation... Dont know how well it works but my shoulder has not dislocated since... knock knock.

Upload
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Well when they were checking my shoulder they stuck a fat needle in it and put a bunch of fluid in it before they did the X-Ray and MRI. I guess when they did that it showed were everything was torn. If you have nothing torn though then you should be ok if you just make it strong.

I was out at the CWB dealer day on the delta last year and I am pretty sure I was talking with Kevin Bird and he was telling me how he used to dislocate his but then he just got really good at tucking his arms in before he fell which always saved him.

Honestly I dont think that there is a brace out there which will totally prevent it from dislocating. I have dislocated mine with that brace on. I think you should be ok though with that brace because it does give good support. Mine was just so bad. I could throw a dart with my right arm and dislocate my left shoulder. So if your shoulder is not as bad as that then you will be good to go.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
That brace looks good. Not to bulky and good support I would go with that one or the one i showed you on one of my past posts.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       03-04-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
I would for sure go with the one in my pic... That sully would be hard as H!!! to get off if you re dislocate, sorry to break it to you but just because you wear a brace doesnt mean it wont get re injured. The one I have on is EVS and I paid like 35 or 40 for it on ebay. Its nice because it cinches on in two places so if you were to re injure you wouldnt have to ruin it to get it off. Also its made of neoprene so its almost like its meant for water!!!
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-04-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
Yeah I think I will go with the evs brace and just keep on working out a bunch and like you said Jruss just try to almost plan my falls to not dislocate it again.

"I could throw a dart with my right arm and dislocate my left shoulder" haha wow

Thanks for the advice on the evs jesse, it looks like it will help.
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-04-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
jesse is that the evs SB03 shoulder brace or the SB02? I cant decide which one to get
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-04-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Hey Jesse is that the EVS 02 or 03 brace?
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-04-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
Have dislocated (sublaxed) both my shoulders over 15 times wakeboarding. Last year I dislocated both in one crash, unfortunatly i got yanked by the rope with my right arm tearing Tendons, ligments and my pectorial off. Sitting here typing with one arm after a full shoulder reco two week ago. Cant wait to get back on the water definatly finding one of those braces, not sure which arm for
Old    chriscut            03-07-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Are there any shoulder braces that would also be good for surfing? Any surfers here ever use a shoulder brace?

A friend of mine keeps dislocating his shoulder. If he doesn't need surgery he'll want to have a way to surf eventually without the fear of re-dislocating his shoulder again.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       03-07-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
My brace is the one without the extra velcro strap... im guessing the 02. My friend that dislocated had the other one and mobility is limited with it... you can be fairly mobile with mine while still getting a decent amount of support. Heres a link for the one I got. Mine is a large.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVS-COMPRESSION-SUPPORT-SHOULDER-BRACE-L-LARGE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34355QQihZ014QQit emZ330217438533QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW