Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (iroc)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-29-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 Mastercraft X-Star. When I was launching my boat the wind pushed it back into the prop. It did not hit directly center. It hit as the boat was turning on the starbord side of the prop. As I was leaving the lake it made a sound as if I hit something like a stump. The oat started to vibrate, but did not loose speed, Temp was normal and oil pressure was normal. The shaft on the boat does not look bent, but there is a mount that the shaft fits through and it looks like it might of had a teflon bushing at one time. The shaft is not center through the mount on the back side, not the side that the prop is on. Has anyone ever had this problem and is the shaft suppose to be center through that mounting bracket? Is there a way I can fix this problem myself. Thanks for any input that might help. If anyone can take picture of there mastercraft's of the mount from the back side and front side of the mount that is connected to the boat, so I can compare it to mine that would be awesome. Thanks again. Joe
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Three possibilites
1) Prop...you can bend a prop backwards (in reverse) To have it repaired $190 MAX
2) Prop shaft. The only way to tell is ti take it out and have it checked Often times it can re re straightened. You can also run the boat out of water with a water source for the motor. Just place the motor in gear for a fraction of a second and have a second person look for alighment.
3) Strut. They can also be brought back into shape. Sometimes is is cheaper to buy a new one with the cutless bearing already in. If the strut is bent the cutless bearing should be replaced.

Last of all the motor should be checked for alignment. Once it is all back together the prop should turn by hand. Not super easy but you should be able to turn it. Labor on all. Prop rebuild, strut repair or replacement and shaft repair...worst case scenario $700-$850.
Old     (iroc)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Thanks I took the boat into the dealer and I bent the shaft, I decided to replace the who drive system with the new style, shaft and strut, and a bad ass prop with the weight I am running now. Thanks for the help. Joe
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-03-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
While they are in there, you might have them fit your boat with the new dripless packing gland as well. Will eliminate any maintenence, especially since you have a v-drive. Re-packing the conventional shaft log can be a bear in your boat.