Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2009, 5:19 AM Reply   
Looks like Randall joined there ranks congrats to him and also to axis http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2003
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-06-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
COOL, I am into the Axis boats for sure!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
sellout.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
joke.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-06-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
that thing is fugly
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
im sorry but it really pisses me off when he claims that this is a "price point boat" and now is affordable to a lot of people. 40k is not affordable to most core riders i know. if im gonna drop 40k on a boat i might as well get used from the big three and have a nicer product. i see more like 20k as more of a price point boat. 40k is still way out of most peoples range. its been talked about but i think there is still a way to make an inboard with ballast and pp for 20k with a trailer. there is a guy on www.the2001.com that is converting a sn 2001 into a v drive. should be interesting. and i like that axis is pushing the sport i just dont think that 40k is the answer. There are a lot of bad a$$ riders out there that if they had a real price point wake boat, they could go so far...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Billiant move by Malibu. Use your stongest marketing tool to promote your new line.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
From Gator to Company then CC, to Malibu, to Axis...I know its a subsidiary of Malibu but man Randall has been on the move lately.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-06-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Kevin,

I agree with you on the "Price Point" tag name. Other brands are still much cheaper than the Axis listed price and still wake specific. Very cool and promising idea but missed the boat on price point. You won't find a 20K boat for wake but mid to upper 30's would be a price range to be at to hit the market hard.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-06-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Agree on the 'Price Point' point being BS.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-06-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
if a tige banged a chapparal, this would be the bastard child
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-06-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
it would be really cool if someone posted some pictures or a review of the wake!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-06-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
I agree with everybody here. I don't understand how $40K plus is "price point". That is more than the top wakeboard boats cost 5-6 years ago.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
What do you guys think should be changed to make the boat more "price point" besides just lowering the price?

- 19ft instead of 22ft?
- get rid of led lighting under the seats?
- no built in ballast?

Do you think they are still pushing a big margin, or do you just have issue with them using the words "price point"?

(these are real questions, not inflammatory argument starters)
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-06-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
Axis is made by Malibu....not much difference really, its still the same company.

Considering that a loaded VLX is in the neighborhood of 55-60, then I'd call it a price point of today. You can't compare it to anything 5-6 years ago, cause that was 5-6 years ago.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-06-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
"Simple boat"?? Since when was simple a picklefork hull with machined aluminum details and a wedge?? Cost effective??

Malibu's lying to themselves here. The economy won't support a $40k entry-level boat. Although, this boat may be targeted at the 27-37 year-olds who buy Malibus purely because they think it makes them look
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
when i think of price point and a "core" boat i think of something as simple as this...

a nice hull, a speedo and a throttle. everything else is left out. maybe some snap in carpet and some upholstery with some piping but thats it. why on earth would you try and cram a bunch of obsolete upholstery designs and crap into a price point boat.

if the fit n finish is anything like a Bu' then it will be done nicely.. just get rid of all the "extras" and make it a true price point boat.

i do think that the 2nd ballast system, the plug and play thingy with the fat sacs is pretty sick.

(Message edited by romes on January 06, 2009)
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Then the next question would be, do you think anyone would buy a true price point boat over a 4-6 year old Bu/MC/CC? Do you think the lure of a warranty beats slightly used bling/features?
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-06-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
I'd like to see the 2001 hull come back, or the old SAN hull as a price point, 30-35k. I'd be happy with a center console and wrap around seating without upholstery. The buyer can buy their own seat cushions and spill beer wherever they want without any worries. Gelcoat can have limited options. I judge a boat by it's wake, not it's features.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-06-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
...and lets leave the picklefork design to die with the X-Star. I respect it as an original design, but would not every buy a cheap imitation.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-06-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
The Vandall is definitely a big marketing TOOL. He should have done the you tube vid describing the boat w/ his shirt off.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-06-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
schooledrider,

i would agree with you about the picklefork if it wasn't functional. but it makes the bow a lot wider, so more people can fit up there comfortably, and if done right it looks good.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-06-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
21 foot wakeboarding hull with a tower, ballast, and an engine. That's about all your need. I think they should build something they can sell for $30K. Get rid of whatever you need to get rid of to keep it at that price.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
By Evan Miller (mtownrydr) on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 9:09 am:

The Vandall is definitely a big marketing TOOL. He should have done the you tube vid describing the boat w/ his shirt off.

HAHAHAHHA
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-06-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
This thing has LED lights all throughout the interior...not very functional or simple. I am sorry, I was behind this boat in the beginning with hopes of something new. I was dissappointed with the price and the design. I would much rather find a used wakesetter fully loaded in the 45K range than buy this boat that would prob depreciate alot faster.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-06-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
"The Vandall is definitely a big marketing TOOL. He should have done the you tube vid describing the boat w/ his shirt off."

Nice rainbow flag sticker on your bumper too.....
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-06-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Your probably paying for the set of ballin ass 20's on the trailer too...wtf?? If it was up to me I would have made a hull w/ a nice motor, one driver seat, a steering wheel, and a ballast system. More like a machine that throws a huge wake. Then just put optional lawn chairs in for additional seating.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-06-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I am excited about the direction Axis is trying to go, though maybe not taking all the right steps. Is it just me, or was there no footage of Harris riding behind the boat? To me, that speaks to the worthlessness of having pros endorse boats. This boat is supposed to be directed toward the core rider who wants to ride, yet all of his assessment is from sitting in the boat or driving it. Manufacturers need to sponsor events, be official towboats, have demos, and be in videos to market themselves.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-06-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
it is price point compaired to the $80-100,000 price tages on the all the new natiques, Mastercrafts and Malibus, I mean $40g's is gonna be a lot easier and cheaper to finance than 100

still not "cheap" but at least Axis and Vandall are going in the right direction and he's not riding for a boat company that just put out a $150,000 model and cut out their "lower end" boats, you know
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-06-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
It's just kind of weird to me a few years ago you could get a fully loaded mobius lsv for around 35-38 now they are towards a 50k boat w/ tax and all.There really is no price point option in my opinion right now. That is why I guess I expected the a22 to be around 30K and really make a difference.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       01-06-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
every time i look at a vlx left over in show rooms from the yr before they are like 45-48k. Why would i skimp to save 5k especially seeing as how at the 40k price point for the axis you are bound to add more things driving back up the price
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-06-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Why doesn't Nautique bring back the 2001 with ballast, perfect pass, and a heater? It seems like the perfect budget boat to me.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-06-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
That's why this sport will be small and unavailable to the masses until there are a decent amount of cable parks all over the place.

The US needs to take note from Europe and expand it's cable parks! You would think board companies would be all over pushing cable parks because it would open up our sport to so many more people who would then buy boards.

Yeah the boat industry may hurt from it, but it's already hurting from overpriced product.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-06-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
I do not know where you are seeing the 45K VLX but let me know because I would like to buy them for my showroom..... And a new VLX for 55K? where please lead me to that one as well. They must be " LOADED" with a hammerhead and everything for that kind of money... WTF?
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
What a boat needs:
1. Perfect Pass
2. Ballast System
3. V- Drive
4. Tower

I think Axis should offer a lot of things like stereo, led lights, heater, and things like that/ But have a base boat with those 4 things for around 30K. Then have the option of adding those other amenities on. Cause not all of us want that. If someone is searching for a price point boat, that means they are on a budget. Who with a budget is searching for a boat with LED lights, custom floor panels to display the LEDs, and 20s on a trailer? That screams the opposite of budget
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
Isn't all this price point complaining pre-mature? I mean, MSRP is 39,995 but if you look on all the other "pricing" threads the common theme is "Only an idiot pays MSRP". Does anyone know for sure what a base model can really be had for at a dealership? Maybe it is closer to 30k than 40k.

I don't know. Does anyone know for sure?
Old    K.B.C.            01-06-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
I agree with some of the others on here. $40k is NOT a value/price point. Under $30k and then we're talking. I mean c'mon, you can get used SANs and 205s for under $30k in good condition with fairly low hours.

LEDs and 20s, what a fricken joke, REAL core Malibu...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-06-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Man I look at this and am stoked on what Axis is doing. I've always wanted a new boat but have a hard time justifying the cost that they come up with. I've always been reserved to the fact that I'd buy a used boat for around $40-45k. Now Axis comes out with what looks to be a upgraded version of the V-ride, it throws a sick wake and looks unique. Can you guys imagine how much you would bash the boat if it were completely stripped and cost $25k?

I'm with Randall, I go to the lake to ride. If that boat can hold an ass full of ballast, not break into 100 pieces and is a baller looking boat for $40k then they have nailed it. IMO they took a few of the latest improvements in wakeboats (ie. stacked internal ballast, wide frame of the picklefork, interior lighting & huge wraparound seating) and incorporated them all into one boat for a cool $40k (which is $20-50k less than the other boats with those features). You may not like the look but aside from that there is very little to complain about.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-06-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
I'd buy this boat for $40k anyday. I bet it has the same wake as a VLX and the only difference in the boat is the interior and the extra bells a whistles that a Malibu comes with. Anyone who complains that $40k is too much for a wakeboard boat needs to look around at other boats that are in the $80-$90k range. $40K for this boat is dirt cheap if you ask me.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-06-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
i like the boat but i think the way the author wrote that press release up makes him(randall) sound like a complete tool.

i also find it funny that he will be getting one of these boats and you cant have a boat longer than 21 feet in canyon lake. so he will have to chop a foot off the nose of the boat to be able to even use it
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-06-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
Jason, Canyon has been making concessions the last few years. They have been sporting X-Stars and VLXs out there for the last few years.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-06-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
well its about time
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
Im 19 and have been begging my dad to get a boat for years. Of course 70k is out of the question. I told him about this boat and he heard me out. I said compared to other boats, this boat is pretty cheap. He asked how much, and I said 40k. He said I dont care how much it is in comparison to other boats, it is still 40 thousand dollars. That is more than a large percentage of families make per year. Thus, when trying to build a cost effective boat, you can not compare the price to that of other wakeboarding boats because the price of other wakeboarding boats is outrageous
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-06-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Is it just because I live in Cali and the cost of living here is so much higher than the rest of the country that I think $40K is cheap and totally manageable for this boat?
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-06-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Dude just wanted a new boat in case this Company thing doesnt pan out, cut him some slack.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-06-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
must be. and that mind set has made the economy what it is today. wine lifestyle on a beer budget. sushi appetite on a burger budget.....

I do find it odd that this partnership is just now announced, if I were in charge, Randy would have been used during the "development" of the boat, and he would be introducing features he "helped" with. That would have given more credibility, and helped with the marketing tool opinion.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
yes jason. the cost of living in the state of california is almost 1/3 higher than lets say the midwest.

buyou're living on 100k a year is equivelant to 75k elsewhere. but the cost of things such as cars, boats etc are the same everywhere.

(Message edited by romes on January 06, 2009)
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-06-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
this is malibu's way to build a pickle fork boat without people saying their" copying master craft."
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
and wasnt that a carburated motor ive seen in pics on wake outlaws? i would never pay 40k with a carburated motor.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Just a quick search, in North/Central Texas area you could buy an A22 or for roughly the same price (with various hours):

08 Ski Supreme
08 Tige Z1
07 MC X1
06 MB Sports
05 Supra 21V
05 Malibu VLX
03 CC 210
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-06-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
does the people at maibu and axis really think that this "price point boat" is the gift to the boating world? i dont think so. if you want a wake boat that is not expensive and you can afford BUY A USED BOAT. a 45 thousand dollar price point boat is a joke. i cant even sell my 06 x 2 for 45 grand and it has way more things then this price point boat does. these stupid boat companies are going to run themselves in the ground. just like the auto makers did. the used market is way better.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-06-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
05 VLX outclasses any of those other boats you mentioned IMO. Same exact hull as the current VLX, only difference is it doesn't have the power wedge, and the dash is different. The wake is identical to a new VLX. Thats a good price.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Wait, let me get this straight...budget boat, chrome, fenders, 20" rims, LED lighting, hydrualic tongue wheel, Swivel tongue, diamond plate on the trailer....etc.etc.. I am confused. Are these add on's, basic package inclusions or what? Is the 40k "price point" with these "options"? If so what's the price for Steel rims, painted trailer, no diamond plating, no chrome fenders, no LED's etc. etc.?

All I care about in a "wake machine" is: a place to sit, TONS o weight, perfect pass (optional, IMHO), a tower, a decent freeboard (for the Tons o weight), proper prop pitch/size, and a teak platform.

Really, if this were a wake machine why wasnt there a post on one of the major wakeboard websites asking what "we" the "riders" want?
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-06-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
Jason S, this year they changed the VLX hull, however the 05-08 VLX is identical wake (minus the different wedges) and very similar in every other way.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
it looks like they asked all the poser high school kids in my area what they want in a "wake" boat. Only thing they got right on this thing is the in floor ballast with plug in for extra. hopefully we will be seing this in the other boats soon.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
M-dizzle is right, there is way to much on there that doesn't belong.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-06-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
M-Dizzle

as always right on the money. I dont even care if my boat had carpet and plush seating in it, it has one purpose to make a giant wake. As fun as it is to have a plush boat, I usually end up hanging out on the lake in a pontoon, my x-star just pull wakeboarders thats its soul purpose, who cares about all the frills.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-06-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
As some of you might remember... I got flamed all over last year on a thread when I complained about no boat company being able to reproduce the SN2001 hull with nothing but a tower, bags, and perfect pass and sell it for $25K.... people told me I had a since of entitlement and essentially that I shouldn't be allowed in the "Wakeboat Club" and it was reserved for the high brow types that had "paid their dues".... now there seems to be a lot more people on board for the "bare bones" wake machine.

I'm not saying anything... :-) but this thread seems to be heading in that direction.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-06-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
You're right Adam. When I said a current VLX, I meant up to 08. I should have made it little more clear since we are in 09 now and those are available to the public.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
The funny thing I was thinking when I saw that LED lighting on the seat bases was....With craploads of weight wouldnt that make the hull a bit weaker? What happens when sacks are pushing up against that plexi? I also thought/hoped the windshield design was for a stronger frame/thicker (less bendy) glass that would withstand abusive monster upple dubs and trip ups. With the other accessories and the general marketing I have seen I am getting the feeling that Axis completely missed with their intentions. Heck I would like to see a boat with a 2x2 hinged pin-able steel beam across the walk through to combat hull stress and flexing (unless the fiberglass is designed to flex?). I know I get nervous everytime I watch my windshield frame stretch another inch on a double up.

I would like for ONCE to see a boat manufacturer come out and say a few things... Look at our fiberglass layup...its twice as thick/strong, etc. than all others over the entire boat (which epic did somewhat of), and even stronger around the tower feet. . Look at how easy it is to pull a motor and replace it (again epic mentioned this a bit). Ish happens, some people abuse and blow motors and tranny's, some people will just get lemons...this will help keep you on the water. This will cut down on turnaround time in the shop/garage etc. Look at how we can hang 100lbs of boards on the tower and it wont sway through a double up. Look how we heightened the teak platform, freeboard (or whatever you call the distance between the rub rail and water line) and bow since your gonna sink the crap out of this thing. We added a few more bunks since we know your gonna put 1k plus of lead and trailer this thing. We made the axles and brakes stronger for this too.

Overall does it make sense to anyone to make anything but the very most basic necessities standard on any boat? I understand it cuts into profit, but I think at this point in the economy boat manufacturers would figure out its about consumer confidence and loyalty...which you lose a lot of when trying to capitalize on a larger margin and making people pay 500-900 bucks for a freaking shower upgrade.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-06-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Better yet, just go buy a used SN2001, there's still plenty of them out there runnning strong. Put a tower, PP, and some ballast in it for under $10k.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
M-dizzle,
How many monster upple dubs have you hit?
I know what your talking about that boat must be taking a beating.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-06-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
M-Dizzle

I cannot agree with you more. I/We hit MONSTER Dubs with my Star and I cringe to think about what it’s doing to the areas of the boat that I cannot see. Some time when we chop through a Huge Dub or Triple the 1100lbs Triangle Sac in my bow is airborne, that cannot be good for any part of the boat, in know its killing my seats up there. I would love to have a boat company say here is our version of a tugboat, one purpose massive wake, with nothing that will break. I don’t need a shower or parking light, Hell I don’t even need bow seats, just a place to stack Fat Sacs and lead. My wife thinks the boat is going to snap in half when we hit giant dubs with 5,000lbs of water in the boat, and honestly I am starting to believe her.

We hit 20 of these in a row per rider some days:
Upload

I guess what I am saying is I just want a untility style boat no frills, just a super fun wake.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-06-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
Looks like Malibu is shooting themselves in the foot, similar to Supra. When Supra came out with the Moomba V-drive models, a certain percentage of would-be Supra buyers most likely decided to save themselves some money and buy the Moomba. So (most likely) less Supra boats were sold but on the other hand they are keeping that customer within the company as a buyer of their product. Trouble is I doubt the profit margin on a Moomba is as good as the margin on the Supra. So the company sells about the same amount of units at an overall lower profit margin.

I can see that the same thing could happen to Malibu with the new Axis. Even though this may not be a bad thing for the consumer, it won't make the boat company any stronger in the long run, plus it will really hurt the value of all the used Malibus. (why buy a used Malibu when you can buy a brand new Axis for about the same $$ with a new boat waranty, right?)

I agree with alot of you that a "price point" boat should be under $30 without all the "fluff". Considering that you can buy a brand new Mercedes C300 for around $33K and considering all the engineering that goes into that car, boats are very simple and basic. No need to charge so much $$ for all the fiberglass and resin.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Steve, sometimes if I am not "feeling it" I can get pumped by just hitting dubs....over and over and over. Heck, I am not even that good at em, but hey, its almost like sex...even a bad dub is better than none at all! I think many of us have been there where its second, third or fourth set and the driver is like...who's next? Everyone is just quietly saying....uggghh. Usually if the driver responds to a quiet boat with, how about a Upple Dub Session...you get a few takers and ALWAYS some grins and Shaka Bro's.

Yes Andy! Exactly what I am saying. I actually took out my front bow seats and put in a carpeted 1" thick plywood "playpen" to allow the sack(s) to sit lower in the bow and not bounce so much. But again the cynic in me says...manufacturers have the ability to make a really solid boat but planned obsolescence or product failure = more sales than simply building an indestructible boat. Kind of like that stride gum commercial...spit that ish out!
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-06-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
I still can't believe anyone if complaining and bitchin about a boat company trying to sell quality BRAND NEW boats for cheaper than the rest

remember no one in the article is talking about compairing the prices to used boats, it's all about a great BRAND NEW boats for under $40,000 and hopefully maybe if people support this company they might even be able to get better and cheaper

and if you're bitching about the price of a boat screw getting a 05 or 04 for 30 or 35,000 you can always get a sick 98 0r 99 Correct Craft or Mastercraft for under $20,000 but its always gonna be a USED boat and not matter if it's 1 or 10 years used you're gonna get everyone else old problems

I think it's sick a boat company is trying to lower the prices instead of increasing it, I'll never complain about that and would never understand why people would, if you don't like it don't buy it, but don't talk bad about it cause it's not as cool or "good" as a used MC/CC/Malibu

p.s. I've seen the wake and it's just like a Malibu VLX, it's sick, big and meaty and $20,000 cheaper

(Message edited by dirty on January 06, 2009)
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
All the guys comparing the prices of new "price point" boats to used boats are missing the point: Some people want NEW. Not used, no matter how clean or how few hours. Some folks don't want to wonder what kind of bodily fluids reside in the carpet and seat foam, want to know they have a comprehensive warranty for 2-5 years, want the boat in their color choice, etc.

For the folks who are willing to buy used: You are going to have your pick of hundreds of clean, low hour USED boats at fantastic pricing in the next couple years.

For the folks who want new: This is a "price point" Malibu, if you will. It's not a Centurion, or a Moomba, but has the soul of a Malibu. That alone will be worth 40 K to some. Just like a C Class sedan is a "price Point" Mercedes Benz....yeah, you can buy a used 3 series BMW for less...but, well...see above for new vs. used.
Old    dabigkahuna            01-06-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
I think the boat looks sick. Lots of cool features like the seating and the plug & play. The overall look of the boat, in my opinion, is sick. What am I missing??? Why are people bashing this boat company, they are putting out a nice looking product for an affordable price (affordable being defined as a price that is much cheaper than the other comparably equipped new boats out there).

If I was in the market, I would definitely consider this boat, especially if it was manufactured by Malibu.

My only concern is that there is no real Axis website up yet. Is this really a boat company, or is this a start-up idea that has a prototype boat? Where are the dealers? My gut feeling is that Axis is doing a "soft-launch" to determine if it is worth entering the market or not. If this is the case, the bashing that is going on in this thread will not help the company feel very warm and fuzzy about jumping into this very competitive market. And that would be a shame.

So if you are one of those people who are complaining that 40K is too much for a new "price point" boat, keep in mind that a new company offering a good boat for 40K is only going to help keep prices down across the board. If new companies like Axis, and Epic as a matter of fact, get bashed all the time, they will not prosper, and we my friends, will be the ones left holding the bag when we buy our next new boat for 125K. Competition is healthy for the consumer. Just something to think about.

Good luck Axis, you got my support.
Old    wiz            01-06-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
i'll start off saying i'm a supra guy. i have owned a few. i dont really like the look of the axis, but u have to give them credit. they want to compete with moomba. 40k for a new vdrive is price point in the current market. i just heard malibu's new 24 is listing for 93k. if that's true things are getting out of control. the axis looks pretty solid for 40k compared to that. what other vdrives (new) can u get in the 40k price range other than maybe moomba? it is what it is. i would like to see the prices come back down to a more reasonable/manageable level but doubt they ever will.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-06-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
what you guys don't see is that boats in general are not going to climb in price. its going to be like home prices. new homes wont go up because theirs so many used houses out, that are at a great bargain. if the economy keeps the way it is. you'll deff see the wake board boat companies needing a bail out or just flat out close. so this axis boat is three or four years behind the game.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
I think you guys are missing a lot of the main points....Among the many issues I personally have with their "budget focused boat" is: Why put 20" rims on a "budget boat"? "why put LED in a "budget boat" etc. I flat out dont get what they are trying to accomplish with the boat... Its akin to rolling through the Ghetto and seeing Hummers with 23's in driveways of absolutely garbage homes. There is no logic behind it...financially at least.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-06-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
Did I miss something... isn't the "Vride" series malibu's low end boat... The latest issue of Wakeboard magazine says $45K MSRP on a Vride... which is last years VLX... a great boat with great reputation. Why the need for another $45K boat?

Did I miss something?

-Uj
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
As M-Dizzle said. We are not bashing the idea. The idea is awesome. A lot of us just think the idea has flaws. What is the definition of a price point wakeboarding boat? Maybe something along the lines of a wakeboarding boat with a few basic essentials to wakeboarding, but not all the fancy add-ons that drive up the price of a boat to ridiculous numbers. A price point boat should be a boat with the bare minimum to satisfy the hard core rider that is not financially sound enough to buy Malibu, Supra, Mastercraft, etc. Cut out the 20" wheels, LED lights, dumb shaped floor panels to show off the LED's. Its not the idea of the boat that people don't understand. Its why try and fancy up a boat that is supposed to be cost effective?

I do LOVE the idea for the ballast system with extra plug ins. And that you have option of upgrading to larger system.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-06-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
i agree uncle. malibu are a bunch of boners. i do say good for randall.... make it while you can.

however... that boat is ugly as hell and nowhere near pricepoint. it's just a marketshare grab in low economic times.

step up nautique.... 30k boats are part of the wake future.
Old     (spinnintowin)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-06-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
^ idiots. If you don't like it don't click on the thread.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I wish some of the higher ups in the wakeboard boat companies would go look at the i/o companies so they could learn what a price point boat is.

example.
At the dealership i work at we sell Bayliner and Crownline i/o ski boats. we compare the 2 as crownline is a cadillac and bayliner is a chevy. same body material, same motor, same vinyl, same instrumentation. but crownline has more bling and goodies and stuff. A 18ft crownline sells for around 23 at my place. A 18t bayliner cost around 17 to 18. But most bayliners are still not a price point boat.

Bayliner has a 17ft version that we call a baby bay. Its IS a price point boat. No radio, all white gel, no color options, thinner vinyl, no carpet in bow area, and a 3.0L engine. since the only option you can get is the seating congfiguration, they can be assembled on a assembly line in mexico. this cuts a lot of overhead. Im not suggesting we take american jobs to mexico(whole nother issue) but they can because they build so many. With a trailer we sell this boat for about 12,595. THAT is a price point boat.

Until malibu or someone else really commits to building a price point boat, they will not be able to get the price down in the at least low 30s. They need to build it naked and without options other than PP(cause its simple to intsall). No 20in rims. no led lights. no options on the accent colors. none of that. You can do it in an assembly line because if you can get the price down you WILL sell enough to justify it. but till then there is nuthin to do. We need someone like irwin jacobs (CEO of Genmar)to come in and build one of these boats. He would have a field hackin stuff off of even moomba if he were to buy that company.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-06-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
45K is too much to be considered pricepoint/entry level.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-06-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
apparently, from the article, Randall was quoted to say
/quote{"I come from a skateboard background. It's a cheap sport. Really nobody I grew up with had a lot of money. I know a lot of skaters who would like to wakeboard, especially my friends with young families, but generally the boats on the market are not affordable. Axis has made wakeboarding affordable without sacrificing wakes or quality."}

I don't mean to dis on the big man, randall, but...
40K is not going to bring in the skaters...unless they are pretty darn good at it and got sponsors and win contests and such.
But, then i suppose no new wake boat will ever be affordable to some of these guys, thus the reason and good point for wake parks and winches and sesitec 2.0s...

I can understand some people's points that this is a great boat especially for someone wanting something NEW, NOT USED, and that it is probably the lowest priced NEW wake boat out there...
However it is obvious that a cheaper NEW boat can still be made, simply by removing all the "bling," the lights, the carpeting, etc.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2009, 9:17 PM Reply   
in my opinion which probably isnt worth that much lol but if you would like to see a price point boat for about the same amount now as that boat look at the sangers.... they are getting more popular every year so the price has been going up gradually since my family bought our v-210 about 3 years ago for about 30k brand new i believe that is what i would call a great deal for an amazing bat that has never had many issues and the hull shape throws out an amazing wake stock but with weight it compares to the mastercraft imo which is probably a little overkill but i really like it. I know that is still rather pricey but compared to all the companies like CC, Mastercraft and Malibu selling 90-100 thousand dollar wake machines that is an amazing pice. But once again that is just my little opinion
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-06-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
I don't understand this marketing strategy by Malibu. Why not max out the cost effectiveness of the vRide series? This would seem to be a lousy time economically to launch a whole new boat line. I do wish them well, but it looks to me like the wake boat market will be depressed for some time to come. Not a good time to try to reinvent the wheel.