Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-03-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Dave,
I understand that you are always searching for new polls, but because I'm a karma guy, todays poll should have a WW Liability Warning:

"Have you ever dropped an expensive electronic device (phone, camera, etc.) into the lake while boating?"

:By clicking No, WW refuse to replace your eletronic device when you drop it in the water this for the first time this Labor Day weekend!:

It was funny as I clicked "No" on the poll, I instantly said- "Well, I guess I'm leaving my phone and ipod in the truck when I go out on the water!"
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-03-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
Great thread, Tonis.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-03-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
It always amazes me how many people drop expensive electronics in the water. I've never had that problem, but my phone and any other valuables pretty much stays in the glovebox when I'm on the water. I think todays generation that would rather text message all day than have a face to face conversation is part of this. Always have to have a phone in their hands, result is phones get dropped in water.

I only get cheapy phones since I've always got mine on or near me, either on the boat, in the garage working on cars (phone gets banged into ground/dropped), when wheelin' (again, water/mud/banged on ground), etc. Only time I've managed to lose/break a phone is when I hit the ground at 80 MPH and the lights went out. My work phone stayed with me though. Just got another $30 cheapy (previous phone was about 3-4 years old and battery on the way out anyway). I'd rather not be out a few hundred bucks for a simple mistake.
Old     (beckycarter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-03-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Leave your expensive sunglasses in the truck too...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-03-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
i wear mine on the boat...and bring my iphone...

BUT i've been known to drop things right into the water. i think one time last summer i went thru 3 phones in like a week...hahaha...
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-03-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
last year my buddy was the "go get the truck guy" so just like we have done a 1000x before he steps of the bow onto the middle dock at orwood with my keys in hand. well i guess i had a little to much babes on her that day and my buddy slip and falls straight into the water, as everyone in the boat says, "OOOHHHH FFF------" i see this hand in the air with the keys in it. didnt even get a drop of water in the alarm remote, pro move right there.

also im about a 2 pair a year guy that feeds sunglasses to the delta. luckily no phones yet, knock on wood!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-03-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
sunglasses companies need to make some floating versions or something. i know there are some, but it seems like none of the expensive brands do.

i won't buy any sunglasses unless they float... and i have not even lost many to the lake. maybe only 2 or 3 at best.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-03-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
my boat now has blue tooth

the phone stays in my cup holder or in the glove box
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-03-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Durty Curt - comments?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-03-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
I only lost one phone on the boat.

it wasn't from dropping IT in the water, but actually from dropping water on IT.

Last time something like that ever happened...

Well actually funny story, on the side of my boat there is a compartment where you can store stuff and i put my phone there and it actually slipped and fell in the crack which went to under the seats and of course this is after it had rained so there was an inch of water, and I swear I pulled the seat up and my phone was completely submerged but with my cat like reflexes I snatched it out the water and it has worked perfectly fine since....
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-03-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
1 phone fried from getting waist deep in the water at the dock to load my dads boat back on the trailer

1 phone went into the water in the pants on NewJHoser getting ready to ride, he threw it back into my boat and it hit the tower bounced back in the water and sank

1 mp3 player fried from being in the glove box, it was a big Disco Bay cruiser roller over NewJ's closed bow centurion, filled the boat with water, even the glove box

1 pair of keys dropped to the bottom of Vics (not mine but the dude who towed our boat up from San Jose) that took another guy driving up from san jo with a spare set to rescue us

1 wallet lost from being placed in the side gunnel rail as the cooler was loaded at Safeway, then somewhere on the trip to the lake it fell off
(not electronic though obviously)

thats all so far, ah the joy
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-03-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
One phone, old Ericcson brick, was a few years back now. Dropped at the ramp pulling the boat out, worked after drying it out.

My flatmate almost lost a $300 pair of Oakleys last Summer after his missus pushed him off the swim deck. He somehow got them back. I was sure they were gone but as he was flailing around in the water he somehow pushed them back to the surface and grabbed them. Since he fished them out it was hilarious and I had a close up view as I had just jumped in to ride, but said gf is now ex gf.

Done the jumped in with the keys and ended up with just one hand holding them above the surface move too, not as easy as it looks...

(Message edited by jtnz on September 03, 2009)
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-03-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
I leave the good shades in the truck for sure. I went boarding with a good pair on once... needless to say... I didn't wear em after that!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-03-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Wait, $300 for a pair of Oakleys? Someone's a sucker...
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-03-2009, 10:39 PM Reply   
hahahaha sam! i think everything listed in this thread has either been ruined or lost on your boat! hahahaha! good times
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
I rode 2 sets with my truck keys in my pocket... And never realized it until I was looking for them to head back to the truck.. I was sure that the remote was not going to work from being wet, but still works fine...(FYI) I guess the GM remotes are water proof or very water resistant.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-04-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Tonis...I want to hear the story behind your profile pic.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
No good story, there. Just some pissed off old fishermen that weren't into sharing their piece of delta paradise with us.

Turned out to be one of the funniest pics I've ever seen. I think they got even more pissed when we turned the camera away from the rider and toward them. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-04-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Man I got a good one.

Get off the phone on the dock, not the best convo I have ever had, I toss my phone on the back seat, and it take s great bounce right into the lake.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-04-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
I got you all beat. Married in May of 05. Swimming off the back of the boat at Don Pedro Waterfall in August 05. Wedding Ring slips off finger and goes down in 40 feet of water. Never to be seen again.
Old     (pstar94)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-04-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
Thats why i got that waterproof phone. been skiing with it in my pocket w/o knowing it and its been fine! great phone..

Not a phone but we had one of our board racks off the tower and on the floor of the boat... go to take the slack out of the line for the rider, line catches board rack..and now its hanging in the air on the rope 20 feet outside the boat. close call.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-05-2009, 4:52 AM Reply   
Wife accidentally kicked my $300 MDA off the dock a few years ago. Also a couple months ago my buddy dropped my keys in the water. luckily it was low tide and we found em after searching for a couple minutes but i was sure after being submerged in salt water the key fob was done but somehow it still works to this day. All I did was soak it in freshwater and that was hours after it had been in the salt.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-05-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
I watched my husband fall in the water holding a $1500 camera. He used it as his excuse to upgrade.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-05-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Lost one phone by riding with it attached to my clip on my board shorts. I got back in the boat only to find the clip still attached but no phone.

Second phone I answered my phone on the swim step and fumbled it, and down she went. It was only in maybe four feet of water, so I was at least able to recover it. Ended up putting it in a bag of rice, and three days later, it worked fine.

I have also lost two wedding rings to the Lake Gods.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       09-05-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Paul....Maybe the Lake Gods were trying to speak to you!!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-05-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
"I watched my husband fall in the water holding a $1500 camera. He used it as his excuse to upgrade." - OUCH. At least it worked out .
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       09-05-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
1 pair of dragon calavera's...they were on my hat when i leaned over to pick my board up off the dock they fell in between the perfect sized crack...i watched them slowly sink thinking to myself..do i have time to reach in and grab them? once i did it was to late...enjoy my shades fishes!!!
oh and 1 c-dub hat on a windy day at clementine
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-06-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
For what it's worth. If you've dropped anything electronic in the water do the following:
Remove the battery if you can immediately.
Shake or blow out what water you can.
Put it in a bowl and immerse it completely with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
Let it sit long enough to get the alcohol everywhere.
Take it out to dry, or take it to the repair shop still in the alcohol.

This method has never helped me get prescription sunglasses out of the lake however.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-06-2009, 8:54 PM Reply   
I have lost sunglasses, phones, keys, and half a tooth to the lake.