Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hey guys :-)

Ive been riding for about 3 seasons now and i just landed my first invert; the Frontroll.

Landing it was a great feeling, and i can now land atleast one of them each set i do (When i landed my first, i immediately landed another 2 straight after it 0.o)

Now, i decided i should learn the damn tantrum finally, after doing a few hopeless try's... i just cant seem to do it right.

I'm pretty good at backflip's on the tramp, can do em with spins, like 5+ in a row, without more than one jump etc. Theyre just easy for me on a tramp.

The thing is, i cant seem to get it right on the water...

Ive watched alot of tutorials, and they all tell me i should feel a "trip" on the top of the wake... But i dont...

Im not sure about what im doing wrong, i cut as hard as i can and try to maintain control @ the wake...

I have a vid from last season, with my best attempt (Look at more of my vid's for worse try's :P):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEGUcrpeIuM&feature=related

I just really want to land this trick soon... and i know i can, its just 1 thing im doing wrong and i hope u guys can help me out with finding it :-)

Bob.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-15-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Everything looked good, except flatten off more right at the top of the wake.... it looks like you're throwing your head back and away from the boat which is making it hard on your arm.

your board should be 100% parrallel with the line/boat direction.

Not that mine is a picture perfect tantrum but it is super easy to throw/on my body and its almost harder to fall on them than land
Upload

(Message edited by sidekicknicholas on June 15, 2009)
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-15-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
You need to square up... Here is a Video to watch...

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1901
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
I know i have to square up, but i somehow fail at it...

Is there some kind of trick for it?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-15-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Did you watch the Video above?
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Yeah, i tried these steps yesterday but they didnt really help me... i still didnt get that pop feeling i should have :/ Thats why im so annoyed with it.

Do you guys "kick" your back foot into the wake, or maybe perform a small, 90 degree jump with your heels into the wake ?
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
I looks to me that you squared up pretty well, but you immediately let go of the rope. Right before you hit the wake let go with your back hand and raise your front hand straight up so that your arm is at a 90 degree angle, and just hold on.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
bob. I was having a similar problem when learning them. I was told to throw my back shoulder (your left shoulder) away from the boat at the top of the wake. This will square up your shoulders for the rotation.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
I have similar problems with my tantrum.
Old     (retrow)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Thanks John!

That sound like a really good tip to me, since it looks like my problem is more at my shoulders than my board, looking at the vid again...

Ill try next time! Thanks :-)
Old     (deepsouthryda)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-15-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
i think you're trying to square up to early and you are not getting the pop you need so you feel bogged down and it causes you to pop the handle. you have to almost make your trip feel "late" or you won't get your pop because the pop on the trip flips comes from the crest at the top op the wake. Also, when you are learning you can really exaggerate your looking back and arcing your back to get the flip instead of crunching up. This helps you carry it to the top of the wake. Check picture...

Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
john r are you goofy??
Old     (gwperry2)      Join Date: May 2009       06-15-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
It looks like you are popping the rope with your board.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
nope. regular foot. so i have to throw my right shoulder (back shoulder) to square up, and Ryan is right, you def. need to wait a little bit longer and get that pop.
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-15-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
you got the flip, just square up with the wake more so that u flip across the wake not back away from the boat!
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-15-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
*IMPORTANT You are not coming off of your edge!!! I checked all three attempts you have up and none of them do you completely come off of your edge. In order to feel that 'pop' the top of the wake needs to hit as much surface area of the board as it can. Because you are still edging through the wake, the wake can't pop you properly. Also, this makes you flip away from the boat, rather than across the wake. I think you will really need to try hard on squaring up to the wake. You can even think about coming to the opposite edge at the top of the wake (ie to your toe edge). If you think of a standing backflip on flat ground, you do not jump off of your heels, you jump off of your toes. Hope this helps. Post some more videos if you still can't get it.
Old     (andrewilso)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-16-2009, 2:24 AM Reply   
search for Learnwake.com on youtube! there is a great tutorial for getting this trick right, i watched it a few times, landed it on my third attempt, sick if you landed front roll they look well hard