Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-05-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Has anyone swapped out stereos on a 2000 suburban or tahoe? Did a ton of research and never found exactly what I was looking for. I just want to replace the stock unit,( Cd player, non-bose, with a seperate cassette deck) with just a regular Single DIN style. It has a rigged Ipod hookup that works pretty well and playing the ipod on the stereo sounds better than playing the radio or a CD. So what I am wondering is what exactly do I need in the way of harnesses, ect. I have onstar, but wont use it so that does not matter. If some one knows how to do this and can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I know there is something about bypassing the stock amp that needs to be adressed to. Thanks for any help.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
I put a stereo (HU and new speakers) in a 2001 Tahoe. The HU install was super easy. Speakers were a little bit more difficult, but not too bad. Got all the stuff from Crutchfield.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-05-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
I looked on Crutchfield, but the wiring harness was way expensive. Just curious what others may have done.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-07-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Bump!! Anyone?? Want to try and do this soon and have researched a ton, just wanting to get some suggestions.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-07-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/GM/PDF/460029.pdf
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-07-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
I saw that and researched it, but unfortunately there is something you extra you have to do if you have the rear volume controls and a factory amp which i have. So that is kind of what I am looking for. That is a good site though.
Old     (calvolson)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-07-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
I'm assuming the expensive wiring harness that you're talking about is to replace a Class 2 databus from GM. The pdf link from Nick is showing that you shouldn't need one so you should be able to get a harness for under $20 easily. GM started using the databus around 2000 on truck and 2003 on cars if my memory is correct. It would be easy to find out if you need to the expensive one or not by unplugging the stereo. If the harness matches the pdf from above its not, or if your door chime no longer works it is a Class 2 databus. A deck can be installed without the databuss module if it does 'need' one, but I really don't recommend it for ease of install and safty. The Class 2 databus interacts with airbags in a way that is more complex then I will ever understand.

Sounds like you need to do an amp bypass. I didn't think GM used an external amp on non Bose systems but hey I don't know everything. Does it have a sub maybe?

If there is an amp either bypass it, or wire the remote turn on (blue/white) wire coming out of the new deck into the remote turn on for the amp I believe it's the pink wire, but your new harness should map that out for you. This will turn the factory amp on. If you have a volt meter you can check the resistance of the wire in question of being the remote turn on to the amp and you should get a really low odd resistance level. If that doesn't work the bypass will, which you'll need a volt meter for as well If you're doing it without some sort of schematics and even then I'd test every wire before connecting something to it. You may want to do the bypass either way sometimes those factory amps really mess with the clairity of the music.

If you wire it and it kills your trucks electrical system I'm not responsible, it's sad I feel like I even have to put that in there.

Good luck