Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-16-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
Hey guys! Sometimes, when I try to boost a big heelside straight air with a raley-type cut, I inadvertently get pulled backside in the air. Sometimes I can recover, sometimes I can't. Here's a pic of one that ended badly. I don't have any video. Any thoughts on why this may be happening? I'm thinking that maybe I'm letting the handle get too far forward on my lead hip, but don't know for sure. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-16-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
My gut guess is you're coming in with uneven weight on your feet. Make sure they're evenly planted. Also keep both hands on the handle when you're in the air to avoid this happening. Push the handle down towards your hips, while keeping your chest up and looking at the horizon
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-16-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
I bet you're flattening off too. Uneven weight and flattened off means entering the air in a not strong body position.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-16-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Keep both hands on the handle and it would be difficult to get in that position.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-16-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Handle position and where you look control spin.

Look out at the shore in the direction you are jumping, and keep the handle at your waist line at the center of your body (at your naval). Keep both hands on the handle until it's worked out.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-16-2012, 3:40 PM Reply   
All of the above advice is great! A video would help everyone nail it down for sure though.Mostly look where you want to go and keep your hands on the handle and near your lead hip.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-16-2012, 5:38 PM Reply   
Its most likely being caused by leaning against the rope too much. You said u are taking a raley type cut, which isnt really what u want. A raley cut is a really tall, shoulders back, straightish legged cut. What I would suggest is focus on keeping your shoulders over your feet when u edge in. That way you arent gonna have such a tight rope and get yanked backwards in the air. You can still edge really hard, but push the handle down and use a more legs bent shoulders forward cut. Hopefully this helps u.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I'm heading out this weekend so hopefully, with all of your comments in mind, I'll get everything sorted out. It only happens about 1 in every 10 "aggressive" hits, but man, when it does, it's ugly . . . especially for a 36 year old. If any of you are ever in Philly for business or pleasure and have some time to ride send me a message and I'll give you a pull.