Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Ok he admits he used drugs. Then why did he have this massive campaign proclaiming his innocence. It’s like if he would have just taken his punishment and kept quite and then later admitted he was wrong I would feel better about him. But WHY now and WHY is he pointing the finger at others as he comes clean. The people that he is pointing the finger at Might be guilty but I have no confidence in what he says because of his past actions/lies.

Floyd had a Website all about his innocence. It said right across the top. “Floyd Landis American Hero” WHAT A JOKE
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-20-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Pro athlete dopes shocka
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-20-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
G,

I saw this this morning also. It's sad. Landis was a likable guy with a great story. I wanted him to be innocent, but had doubts like everybody. Now basically, I've come to the realization that they are all cheating at one point or another - or all the time. Armstrong is just better at cheating.

With Armstrong's presence in the last 10-years, cycling has been growing in the US. I was caught up in it myself and really enjoyed the Tour de France each year. The Tour de CA is great. We saw it down here in SD last year. Now, however, with the realization that they're all enhanced, it takes much of the fun drama out of watching the races. It's not real. It's not really guts, strategy, training, sportsmanship, race tactics & psychology - all the things that make endurance sports great. Instead, it's about who's getting away with doping. Who's not but wishing they did. Who's taking what dope, etc. Now, we can never really trust any winner or successful cyclist, including the almighty Lance. They did it to themselves. Like golf would be without Tiger, cycling is likely to recede back into background of sports.

Sad...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-20-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
It's just like any sport these days. Everyone is trying to get that little edge. It usually comes from cheating. They take it to the ragged edge of what's permitted, get caught, then back it off just a bit. That's what competition does to people. Today's technology makes it a much bigger game.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-20-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
"Today's technology makes it a much bigger game. "
I never thought of it that way, Evan. It use to be you jump on a bike and pedal your azz off. Throw on the gloves, pads, whatever, it was more about the human element. Perhaps now, technology has surpassed human limit and encourages this kind of stuff. That same tech stuff finds ways to cheat and work around the rules of ethics. I don't know much about cycling but those are some sweet machines and learning to do your own blood transfusion? Holy hell that seems insane.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-20-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Even back when I was racing we would altitude train. It was/is totally legal. Lance Armstrong sleeps in a special tent to simulate high altitude. If it's there, and available, then these guys are using it to get an edge. It is insane, but that's what the big dollars and competitiveness in sports promotes. We want to see people doing super human things.

Car racing is the same way, it's just not the human body. People push the rules till they break. We used to joke that if you weren't cheating you weren't trying (I know it's not an original phrase). When we watch "spec" cars going faster and faster season after season you know something is going on. The drivers aren't getting better. They're already experienced semi-pro's.

It is what it is. Keep changing the rules and people will find ways to beat the new regulations. I do love the fact that Lance has never tested positive. I'm not sure if he's really that super human (I hope in my heart that he is), or if he's just a better cheater than the rest of the guys out there. Any way you look at it, cheating or not cheating, these guys are studs.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-20-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Geeze, and I thought I was a stud just signing up for my 9th marathon in NYC this fall...

Good points and I agree on competition, working at the very edge and constantly finding small advantages. That's what competition is and makes it fun. Drugs or not, Armstrong, Landis and the rest are amazing athletes pulling off amazing feats.

But you have to admit, (actually, you already did - "I hope in my hear that he is"), it takes at least some of the shine off the feats learning that they clearly and knowingly broke major rules. I remember that come back day for Landis. It was unbelievable! I was telling my non-cycling friends, "you gotta watch this, you won't believe it!" ...and they did. But there's no way for any of us to know how much that come back day was super human and how much was a good testosterin dose. And that takes some of the fun out of it for me.

Last edited by ottog1979; 05-20-2010 at 2:36 PM. Reason: correct
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
Wow news flash. Landis is a douche.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
Congrats, Floyd, you are now one of the biggest douches in sports history.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsmith View Post
Congrats, Floyd, you are now one of the biggest douches in sports history.
^^^ Perfect