Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (merge360)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-30-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Looking at putting some 20" wheels on the truck in a few weeks..... I have read a BUNCH of reviews about 20's, and I have seen alot of "Balancing" issues.... Are they really that difficult to keep balanced or am I reading into this too much? The 20's will be on my daily driver so I was just curious if anyone had any issues with their wheels being out of balance more often than the standard size recommended for the vehicle... The tire size I'll be going with will be 275/55/20 if that makes any difference. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated before I drop some coin. Thanks!
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-30-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
I have 21's. That was a bad mistake. Everything about them is rare and more expensive. I hear 20's are your best bet in the larger wheels. I wouldn't worry.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-30-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
I have 20" on my truck now and I haven't had any problems with them. On my last truck though I put 22" on it and I had to balance them everytime I got an oil change. It was a pain in the butt.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
I use to work for Discount Tire. You will be fine. That is a o.e. tire size for a couple of vehicles.
Old     (jmiahhenry)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
mine work fine and do not have balance issues
Old     (06centurion)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-31-2007, 12:09 AM Reply   
depends on the brand of the wheels. if you buy a nice brand you wont have to balance them. from my experience. i had some 22s and i had to balance them n now i have 24 lexanis and never have had to balance them
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-31-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
20's are all but standard these days it seems. Coming stock on alot of vehicles.

I have 22" Milanni's and have had them road force balanced once in the 2 years I've had them...that was when they were first mounted.

Depending on the vehicle you're putting them on, you should be fine.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-31-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
I've got 20's on 1 truck and 22's on my other and have never had any abnormal balancing issues on either. Each time I bought the wheels I went to our local large chain tire and balancing center and spent like $130 on a lifetime wheel alignment. I usually pop in once a year just to keep them perfect.
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-31-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
i work for a wheel manufacture.. u HAVE to balance every set of wheels. but there are nicer wheels then others another big factor is tires. some tires can throw balancing off too. if you haven't picked a style check out our web site REV-WHEEL.com i will hook up a fellow wakeworlder. Ricky G rides these in 24's Upload
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
I've had 20's on my Avalanche for 4 years without balancing issues. I think you will be just fine!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
20's have become factory for alot of newer trucks.
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-31-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Jon,

That's a sick looking wheel. Maybe I should put some on my trailer too! Let's first get the excursion taken care of.
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-04-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
It does not matter what wheel you buy, 20-24" can all be, and are all balanced from the factory. If you are worried about balancing issues, DO NOT BUY CHEAP TIRES!! For the last 5 years I have mounted and balanced tires from every brand and size. Michelin and the newer GY Fortera and Silent Armour are primo. Just because they run a buy 3 get one free special, doesn't mean you are getting a deal. I have replaced tires within 10,000 miles because of poor quality and lack of rotating. Do your research!
Balancing is also an art. You get what you pay for. The *Free Balance and Rotate* with oil change will get you an unbalanced wheel 90% of the time. Take your investments to someone credible, someone who has the right equipment, and someone who knows what they are doing. Also, keep em rotated no longer than 6,000 miles, less if you are doing alot of towing.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-04-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
I use to have 26s on my navigator and I never had any problems with balancing. The ride was very smooth as well.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
jon
love the dirty harry black
might just haveta replace my stock 20's on my 2003 Ram 1500
lots of sizes to choose from....not sure what would fit