Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-23-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
I'm headed to lake San Antonio this Thursday and I've never been there. Any information (where do I find smooth water?)or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'll be coming across the 46 through Paso Robles area, what's best place to gas up the boat?
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
I just got back yesterday and the water was great. Not much wind at all but very hot. It can get a bit windy though in the late morning and afternoon. San Antonio is a long straight lake and it is in the direction of the prevailing winds so not too many places to hide. Park the boat and have a beer around noon till about five to seven. Gas your boat at lost hills where 5 and 46 meet. That will probably be the best bang for your buck.
If the wind comes up you can wakesurf or head toward the dam there is one finger down by the dam but it is very small and another one just past the only fuel dock about half way down toward the dam. Good luck and have fun.
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-23-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Johnny - Great info. Can it get crowded or are most of the people on Nacimiento? Is one end of the lake more quiet than the other?
Thanks again.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Rich - I love San Antonio. We're going up this weekend too (Friday), but not taking the wakeboat. We'll have a few jet boats instead. The wind is almost like clock work. In my experience, it turns on at 3, and goes till 6. Thursday and Friday should be butter all day. When it gets a little windy, we usually go to the hillside, and ride there. It's much better on that side, but like Johnny said, it's hard to hide from it when it's really blowing.

On the camping: Make sure to bring tons of shade. There are no trees along the flat shorelines. If you're tenting, bring extra toilet paper too. You never know about the port-o-potties (although they do keep them as nice as they can).
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
Rich- If you get out early you should find good water on the South end by the dam, the two coves that were mentioned above are skiers cove on the right side before the dam and Harris creek which is the cove after the fuel pumps,also there is good water on the North end on the west side next to the hills providing the wind is not blowing.

If you are camping you want to be on the north side of any cove you stay in so when the wind picks up your boat doesn't get out of shape while the waves are coming in. This time of year you are going to want to pay attention for the rattle snakes both on land and in the water.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-24-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
CAR nailed it on the head. You should be able to find a pretty good camping spot if you are coming on Thursday. The masses usually start arriving on Friday night and Saturday morning. I have been there the last 4 weekends, and have not seen any snakes.

What's up Caesar?
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-24-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
We camped on the North shore the 13th thru the 18th and it was just like CAR said but no snakes.
You can get gas in Paso Robles (46/101) also before you get on the 101 north to Jolon rd.
Old     (marcpike)      Join Date: May 2008       06-24-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Hey Nick,

A few of my buddies and I are bringing our boats down for the 4th of July weekend. They can't come up until Thursday (the 3rd), but I'm thinking of making a run Wed afternoon to grab a spot on North Shore. You think we will still be OK with getting a legit spot for the weekend? Last thing we want to do is stay on the other side and get ruined by the wind or get a crappy spot. There's gonna be about 3-4 boats in our crew. We've done Naci on the 4th before, but not San Anton, so just seeing if you had any insight.

Appreciate the info...

PS. Sorry to hijack lol
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-24-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Rich- CAR Clete and Nick and Mike all have made great points. I love the North Shore since it is great when you are camping with friends, just pull up on some shore side ground and camp away. Can be hot bring shade.

This last weekend, I got there on 6/20 and left on 6/22 there were not a ton of people like I have seen in the past. Due to my schedule I usually go for four days midweek, there is no one there then. As I was saying before, I believe that even this last Saturday 6/21 you could find some shore camping on some of the roads. I personally like roads 2, 3, or 4 but I have had fun below McCanliss (spelling ?) and road 8 as well. There are some full hook up spots near the last or second launch ramp but they are way up hill from the water. Maybe some of the above guys can advise I usually take one of the roads and dry camp.

Anyway have a great time. Wish I were there and not posting on ww while at work dreaming of being on the water.
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-24-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Hey Nick I think I talked to you at the poo launcher this last Sunday 6/22 about your VTX. Nice boat. I had the endura waiting for the best part of the trip, not!
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-24-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Marc-on big holiday weekends my group usually goes and drops off trailers, rvs, on Wednesdays. However, since July 4th falls on Friday this year, Wednesday may be cutting it a little close, especially since kids are on summer break.

Johnny-I try to stay away from McCandles, especially on big holiday weekends. The full hookup sites are pretty far away from the shore, and you would probably have to take your boat in/out every time. Johnny, do you have a white and yellow Malibu? My VTX is mostly white, with a bit of grey.
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-24-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all of the great information. We're not going to camp after all..we found a mobile home to rent at Lake San Antonio Resort. We have a couple families going so we're going to split the cost and pile in.
I think it's located mid lake on the west side based on the map I saw so we'll probably spend a day on each end of the lake.
One last question..are there shallow areas to watch out for?

Mike, flag us down it we run across each other this weekend. My boat is a Kawasaki green Sanger. I don't know how you can leave that Malibu at home...nice boat.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-24-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
The shallow areas are pretty well marked.
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-24-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Rich-only shallows that I know of are well into the five mile per hour zones; Along the North Shore Camping, The west end marsh area by the floating toilet, and the two fingers (the one by the dam and up by the South Shore launch ramp. Better yet check the attached map from Monteray County Parks. Here is the link:

http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/images/sanantonio/LSA-complete-lake-colorlg.jpg

Nick-I have the white yellow and blue malibu vlx. Hope that helps.

Anyway hopefully see all of you soon on a lake nearby!
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-25-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
Nick and Johnny are on, all shallow areas are marked. I've never had any problems, but I'm always looking at the depth gauge. Once it hits about 12', I turn.

Rich - Thanks. It will be hard to leave it at home, but there's a story behind it, and I won't bore you with the details. We camp at Road 1. I'll keep an eye out for the Sanger. Have a great time.
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Our trip to San Antonio was a lot of fun. We had good water all three mornings and we all rode until we couldn't hang on anymore. I wish that I was in better shape...only one thing worse that not be able find good water...is being spent when there is still more good water!
All the info you guys gave was spot on and really helpful. Thanks again! I'll be going back again soon.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-30-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Rich-glad to hear that. Where did you ride in the morning, and at what time?
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-30-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Good to hear Rich. I looked for ya, but never saw the green boat. We'll keep our eyes peeled this summer.
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
We pretty much stayed down near the dam. Friday was great until a light wind started around noon, even then it was still pretty good but nothing like the morning water. Saturday was similar but more boats out. Still found some good water on the hill side of the lake near the dam. There was a little breeze yesterday morning but it started to warm up around 8:00, the breeze stopped and it really smoothed out. It was still good when we had to get going around 10:30.

Mike - what type of jet boat were you on? I saw a couple Eliminator / Ultra style boats out there but that was it.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
I think it's an early 70's Sleek Craft (flat bottom). Not sure, it's my friends boat. It's orange and yellow with the pipes coming off the back.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Does anyone happen to know if there is a lot of smoke right now?
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-01-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Nick - no smoke at all most of it is blowing to the East and to the North, saw a little bit 2 weeks ago when the wind shifted. What happened to you last weekend, thought you were camping at Naci?
Old     (dailyssv)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-02-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
please post pics of the lake.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Ceasar-we ended up at San Antonio again. We were running a little late, and wanted to make sure we would get a good spot by the water. Are you going to be at Naci all weekend? Do you know if the camping spots are filling up early during normal weekends?
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
Yes I am leaving tomorrow for the lake and will be there till Monday.

I have no idea about the campgrounds I usually never go to that end of the lake because of all the wally's around that end,private launch ramp has it's privileges. I know the ones at Oak Shores never fill up.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
My wife just called me from the lake and said it was smokey getting to the lake (Naci) but there is no smoke at the lake but you can smell it.

I am taking my chances, a little bit of smoke is better than alot of work if I stay home.

If anyone wants to call me tomorrow afternoon before they head up for an update feel free to call me 805-472-2283