Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakeboardcal)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-13-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
My family has a 2000 Centurion wake/ski boat (haha i know) which we try to load with ballast to wakesurf on. Decent sized wakes but not great compared to boats nowadays. We have an actual surfboard that kills it behind the boat but it's all tore up so i'm looking for a new wakesurf. The people who ride are around 160 lbs. so what is the best board for a medium sized wake boat?
thanks.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-13-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
Let us know some more info. Sounds like you want to stick with surf style. Do you occasionally want to cruise on the board? Some of the high end perf boards want to be worked all the time and not for someone who has only surfed a few times.
Let us know if you have a budget cause there are some good fits but highend boards might be out even if you could find used.
At your weight there are a bunch of options.
Old     (wakeboardcal)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-13-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Well I like cruising but mostly just messing around on the board, I'd actually like to find a board that can do some spins and airs also but long enough to stay up on the wake. There's no option to go back or farther up the wake, there's just one spot you have to be. I've gone a lot and am fairly good but I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on one. Maybe $400 is the max.
Old     (wakeboardcal)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-07-2009, 11:28 PM Reply   
I limited down my choices to either the new Hyperlite broadcast 5'6" or the Liquid Force Venture 5'6" anybody have any opinions on which is better? I'm more of a Liquid force guy because they have some really outstanding products but anyone want to vouch for Hyperlite? I like both the boards
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2009, 11:31 PM Reply   
Cal, if you know how to get up and ride without the rope you are already past a hyperlite or liquid force
Old     (wakeboardcal)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-07-2009, 11:40 PM Reply   
Then what would you suggest? I'd love a board I can do spins and shuvs on but my wake is really small you literally can only stay in one spot and that's even hard to keep up with the boat. Guessing cause all I have is an actual surfboard haha
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-08-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
You would be surprised how much faster better boards are. The Walker project boards I road a while back are very fast and would be good for smaller wakes. I also have a few Inland Surfer boards that would be fast. I have the Swallow and it is fast. I am almost 250 and my boat has a medium wake and it is great. Keep looking for boards.
Old     (wakeboardcal)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-08-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
I do actually like Inland Surfer. I just have no clue how much faster they would be. What size would you suggest for a small wake and my weight? I would still like to stay under $400
thanks
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Cal, if you want to do shuvs and spins it sounds like you want to get a skim style board. the Inland Surfer Black Pearl White should work well for you and isnt too far off from your budget. The inland skims are super fast down the line. Ive had a lot of fun on them.
For around $399 you can pick up a Walker Project Comp X 4.5 or 4.8. They are a hybrid board with the shape of a skim but the fin set up of a surf style. by changing up the fins you can change the ride. I rode the 4.5 with some little 2inchers and it was really comparable to the IS Black Pearl. For the price its a lot of bang for your buck.

There are other choices out there but i haven't personally ridden them.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-08-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
There is a guy that just posted about selling an IS Sweet spot. That is a nice board. It was just a little small for me but Mitch rides it well. He did not say what he wanted for it but $400 would be a good deal for both of you.