Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-27-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about putting in a new stereo in my tow vehicle (4Runner). Just wondering if there is anything specific I should be looking for in receivers as far as outputs, amps, etc. (like in the boats). Any advice would be great.

Looking for a satellite/DVD receiver. Nothing too big and crazy. Trying to keep it under $1000 for new receiver, speakers, amp, bass
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-27-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
less than 1000? Not if you want all that....sorry
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-27-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
okay well more than $1000, just not $10 thousand! lol
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
my brother just redid his car and got

screen/dvd (in dash, touch screen, no navi though), 2 amps, 2 subs, wiring kits, mounting etc etc etc..... the systems hits hard, the screen is really nice and he did at all for under like $750
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-27-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood, all make double-din head units with nav and dvd built-in for under $1,000. You can get the Pioneer's for around $400, but Kenwood and Alpine are a little higher.
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-27-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
focal speakers are the best if you want really good sound.
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-27-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Focals are not the best. They may be the best that a mainline car audio dealer carries but they're not the best. Dynaudio, for example sound better than Focals. And, I have Focals! I've also heard some MB Quarts that sound better than Focals.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-27-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
I guess I'll just go for what I like the looks of.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-27-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
Depends on what kind of music you listen to. I listen to a lot of blues and classic rock. I have some really good focal components that sound incredible. Depends on what you like to listen to. If you want great sound quality at a reasonable volume or if you listen to stuff with a lot of vocals than I think Focal is the way to go. On the other hand I have heard that a lot of other speakers sound better than the coaxial focals that are the entry level speakers.

You will hear all kinds of opinions from lots of people, but it really helps to know what kind of music you listen to and what you are looking for. It is kind of like buying a boat, everyone has their opinion on what is the best, but that is tailored to what they are looking for. When I wanted to figure out what I wanted in my car I went to several audio shops, told them I wasnt buying today, wanted to hear everything, and didnt want a sales pitch. It eliminated a lot of the BS and let me find what I wanted. Then after I knew what I wanted I talked to the sales guys.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-27-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
I'd go with the Eclipse AVN-6620 for the head unit. $699 from crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_099AVN6620/Eclipse-AVN6620.html
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-27-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
evil,
I would agree but I just checked it out and it doesn't fit in my 4Runner. Bummer!
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-27-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
i have an alpine iva 900 flip out with nav, and dvd , xm, etc. but its like $2100 or so i think. i would highly recommend alpine. their touch screens are a little cheaper but i cant have that being a welder and my hand always dirty , so i got the high def instead. 6 years and still kicking and its been through water with the windows left oper from rain to dust mud.. built really well i guess.. just my $.02
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-27-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
this all depends on the sound quality you want.. cheap speakers vs expensive speakers... do your homework and you will end up happy in the end... oh shoot for a 13 band EQ deffinitly the best purchase for my truck i could have made.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-27-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
What year 4runner?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-27-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
Ronia, the best thing to do is stop in at a few local car audio shops and check out all the different brands. Steer clear of the big box shops or chain stores, unless it's a mom and pops shop. Those are the best as their customer service, experienced installers, and good products are what keep them in business.

Everyone's gonna have different opinions on what's best. What makes it the best to you won't be exactly what someone else thinks is the best.

Also, watch out for pushy salesman that try to cram a piece of crap down your throat. If you have to pay a few bucks more for quality, then do it. When you buy at a local shop, they'll install it, give it a warranty, and have all the extra parts (dash kit, wiring harness, antenna adaptor) that you'll need when installing the radio.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-27-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
1999 factory cd player