Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old    alanp            12-21-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
looking at an 04 lightning with 48k on it. here are some of the specs. would this work as a tow vehicle?

Engine liters: 5.4
Torque: 450 lb.-ft. @ 3,250RPM
Limited slip differential
Cylinder configuration: V-8
Fuel economy highway: 16mpg
Compressor: intercooled supercharger
Sequential multi-point fuel injection
Number of valves: 16
Transmission: 4 speed automatic
Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
Horsepower: 380hp @ 4,750RPM
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-21-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Does it have the tow package: Trans cooler, high cap radiator, oil cooler, trailer harness, etc.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-21-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
The two rating on the lightning is low, I THINK. The lightning is one of the best trucks used used to build a prerunner with though. You might have to add bags or change out the rear springs to get the two rating up. Everything else, at least, engine related is heavy duty. Some came with a huge brake package too. I have never seen a Lightning with a tow package, they are not meant to tow, but go fast. The gears might be a bit high too, come to think of it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-21-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
personally I love my 99 yukon, tows like a dream, fits all the peeps, has all the bells and whistles and right now used yukons and tahoes (same thing) are cheap for what you get. just can't be afraid of 4.50 gas coming back, but it looks like you're looking at some thing that only gets 16mpg anyway which is right about what my kon gets.
Old     (jesse1983)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-21-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
Check out nloc.net

Most Lightnings came with a tow package from the factory. I've used mine to pull my '65 Mustang on a trailer (about 5K pounds) and it does ok. I've never used it to pull the boat though. I'm worried about a wet ramp and losing traction. I use my '03 Denali to pull the boat and it does a great job.

Jesse
Old    alanp            12-21-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
i have to have a truck so i can also transport my dirtbike. this truck does have a tow package. ive always wanted one of these trucks but it has to be able to tow my boat.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-21-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
I think that Grant used to tow with one, a buddy of mine towed with one off and on. It was lowered and had 22" on it, still towed just fine.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-21-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
Tow rating for the lightning is 5000lbs but I'm not sure why its low relative to the HP/torque, brakes and transmission. Those are all very good, I'll check with a tech at work and get back to you tomorrow.
Old    alanp            12-21-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
thanks guys. hatenpain that would be great if you could check with a tech
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-21-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
I had a 02 or 03 Ford Lighting. I put a ROUSH lowering kit on it and it towed ok. I say OK because it was a bit bouncy after it had been lowerd. I installed Air bag's on it and it made it much better. They are great truck's. You will notice you can save a bunch of gas if you switch the over drive on and off to keep the truck out of the boost.
Old    alanp            12-22-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
thanks grant
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-22-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Hate N Pain

The tow rating is lower because of vehicle size/weight. Yes the engine/tranny/brake combo can "technically" tow more that what you are rated for, but vehicle size plays a major role along with the super structure of the vehicle (ie. frame, body, if its a unibody....). Along with stock suspension components that are fitted from the factory. If you want the keep the stock ride height, just swap out springs for a different spring rate.

(Message edited by bigkitch on December 22, 2008)
Old     (jaxfoiler)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-24-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
I was towing my 23' enzo with my 02 Ford Harley Edition F150. Same motor as the lightning but it has a different pully on the supercharger. Ford thought there would be more people towing with the harley ed. than the lightning. The pully on the harley ed. gives the truck more torque but less hp. A friend also tows his 220 nautique with his 03 harley f150. I had a level kit on the rear of my truck, intake, & exhaust and it towed just fine. Plenty of power just horrible, horrible, gas mileage. Towed from jacksonville, fl to Lake Placid fl and got 7-8 mpg. I traded my truck in 1 year ago for a 07 tahoe. We pulled a 24' enzo through the mountians in georgia this past summer and got 13 mpg. Pretty good for having the tahoe loaded with stuff and that big of a boat, still impressive mpg for in the mountains.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       12-24-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
I have been towing with my 01 Lightning since I got it 3 years ago. The truck does great - gobs of torque. The limited slip diff does great on slick ramps. The short wheel base is great for backing. The SVT brake upgrade does the job really well. Interior comfort is great.

Cons are: the regular size cab - it would be nice to be able to carry 4 passengers when towing. Fuel economy - the point above about using the OD cancel button to keep it out of boost when towing is right on. The short wheel base - great for backing but it kind of gets the "push-me-pull-you" effect when towing down a concrete highway.

My Lightning had already had 1.5" lowering shackles installed on the rear end to level out the non-towing ride height. As a result it is just a slight bit low on the rear end when pulling the boat (see pic). I am considering either removing the shackles or installing some air bags to resolve that.

Overall, I love my truck. It is a fine tow vehicle for how I use it (short pulls from storage to ramp and back, etc, with occasional longer trips). It's a blast to drive when not towing.

I love my Lightning!
Upload

(Message edited by texastbird on December 24, 2008)
Old     (jaxfoiler)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-24-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
Nice set up. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying anything bad about the trucks at all except it got really bad gas mileage on trips. Other than that I loved my Harley Ed. I just needed more room so thats why I have a tahoe now. My tahoe does great as well. Just trying to give my $.02. And yes the truck was a blast to drive, I could spank a lot of vehicles with a 4-door truck.
100_0005.JPG

FIK New 354.jpg
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-24-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
The tow limitations are based on the tongue weight. Assuming a 10-15% tongue weight with the suspension that is in the Lightning being limiting you just cant put much on it.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-24-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
my 04 pulls my supra 21v just fine. it will suck gas b/c it has to stay out of overdrive.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-25-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I have a 00 lightning and I towed my 86 nautique all the way from florida to NJ. I got 10 mpg with the bed of the truck full of crap, the boat full of stuff and it towed great. Stock suspension. But the motors not stock at all. Its making 415rwhp which is about 520hp at the crank. 6lb pulley so 14lbs of boost being generated but the superchargers ported so i'm sitting on around 12lbs of boost.
Upload
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-25-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
oh and btw theres no 16mpg in a lightning...unless you drive at 50mph and never pedal into it. But who drives a lightning to drive it like a sissy. Not me. I get 13mpg on the highway