Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-27-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
I've been working on installing an automatic ballast system in my 2001 205V and I have a few questions. I'm trying to figure out where to mount my main intake thru-hull, I'd like to keep it as "stock" as possible. I'm planning on running a 1-1/2" thru-hull to a Mastercraft distribution block, which splits into 3 supply lines and 2 discharge lines.

My main question is where do I put the thru-hull and route my main supply hose so it doesn't interfere with servicing the engine? Also, Where do I mount the distribution block? I believe it is mounted in the front passenger side of the engine compartment.

I'm hoping someone can post some pictures of the ballast location in the engine on an older X-star that I could copy the placement of these items. Please provide any advice you can, thanks!
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Use Paul's link and it should give you a good idea of how to add ballat on a 205V hull. His may not be exactly stock but gives you an idea of what a good install looks like.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17225
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-27-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
I used paul's as an example for mine as well. but I have some shots on here somewhere. I used a 2" scupper mounted between the engine and tranny on the passenger side, then put a manifold near the transom and plumbed the 2 together.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Here'e mine with detailed pics. It's an aerator system.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=2282
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys! I followed the majority of Paul's install and it was extremely helpful! (thanks Paul!) However I wanted to go with a single intake instead with a manifold like the X-1's use to have (I believe they just redesigned the system this year). DJ, can you send a link of the pictures you have? That sounds the most similar to what I'm looking to do. Also, if anyone has an X1 or older X-star that can post a picture of how the standard ballast is done that would be very helpful as well! Thanks everyone!
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-29-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
Chad I will have pics this weekend, I just finished my install on my 99 x-star. single 1.5 intake and four tsunami fill pumps and four tsunami drain pumps.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-29-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
not the best pictures, but you will get an idea

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/510005.html
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-29-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
DJ, thanks for the pictures!
Brad, I'll look for your pictures this weekend.

Thanks to all that have posted pictures, it's nice to compare how everyone else is doing it to make sure I get it right! I'm just a little nervous about the placement of the hole, I don't want to find out after I drill it that something is in the way or that it interferes with the serviceability of the engine.

I'm still curious to see pics of a 3 pump reversing system with the 3 way distribution block like they used in the x-1's if anyone has picture they can post.

I'm running a 1.5" thru-hull to the distributor and 3/4" lines to to the pumps. Will I be ok using PVC elbows and shut-off valves on the intake or should I spend the extra bucks to go to Brass fittings?

I appreciate everyone's willingness to help out, it makes doing these things on your own a lot less stressful! (I actually found and purchased my boat through this site as well!) I'll post some pictures once I get it completed!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-29-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Upload
underside view

Upload
inside view

this is on the port side near the front of the engine, just behind the the little square indention on this hull; one reason I put it here is so I can later put a paddle wheel for PP in front of that indention. the paddle wheel needs a place with no obstructions in front of it.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-29-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
hit the button twice

(Message edited by Rich_G on May 29, 2008)
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-01-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Rich, it seems like that area is where most people put the thru-hull. I think I'll be drilling tomorrow so wish me luck!
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-11-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Just thought I'd update this post with my own input for anyone else dealing with this question. I decided to put the hole on the drivers side just in front of the oil filter, based on this diagram I found from someone else's post (this is where my dealer recommended putting it as well).
Here are some pictures that show where I ended up drilling the hole. I'll start a new post with pictures of the rest of the install.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-12-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
If it's not too late, I'd definately recommend putting in an integrated bow sac too. That hull needs weight up front for a great wake.
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-13-2008, 4:24 AM Reply   
I've got a 250 lb side sac under each side in the front (fills to maybe 175 lb each). My ski locker sac overflows into these to fill & Drain. It seems to work pretty good so far. The extra weight up front definitely helps out a ton in this boat!