Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-16-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
I purchased a new handle and thought I could remove my premier handle from my accurate jacket rope easily. However, the handle almost seems to have melted onto the rope with a really, really tight knot. Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging either the handle or rope? Thanks!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-16-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
fold the rope over with the knot right at the end, and smack the knot against a hard surface a few times. This generally loosens the knot.
Old     (h2o_junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
grab the loop of the handle with both hands. repeatedly yank both ends apart simultaneously. Shouldn't take more than 10 or so yanks. This should loosen it up enough to remove it from your mainline
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-16-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
It sounds weird but just beat the knot with a hammer. I dont know why but it works.
Old     (jheado)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-16-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
Same concept as what jon said but I used a pair of linesmans pliers and squeezed the knot. May take a couple of squeezes at different angles but it will loosen right up.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
I wouldn't hit my rope or use pliers on it. It would weaken all the strands. I would definitely go with Wake Junkee's advice. It works every time.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-16-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
I would. Definitely beat the hell out of it. its a win-win. you get to hit something AND get your handle free.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-16-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
put heat on it and beat the of it
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
i have 2 options for ya. put the knot between your palms and rub your hands real fast like the karate kid. the friction and heat generated tends to help. if its welded well then you cut it, just the old line, pull it through and save the handle line. good luck.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-17-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
I was able to get the knot out by using a combination of gentle hammering on the knot and pulling the ends of the handle loop apart. Handle and rope look to be OK...thanks for the help!!!
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-17-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
gentle hammering? is there such a thing? lol!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
For the future:

The problems occur when the handle loop is placed onto the rope loop. This will be hard to explain but you should not fold either loop end over the knot created at the intersection of the two loops or it will lock up. If you look at your connection you will see what I mean. When installing a new handle, push the two ropes apart before pulling it tight. The connection should easily slide apart if your lines are correct.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
i think what tim is saying is to make sure to tie square knots not slip knots.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Hey, they have names! And very descriptive ones at that. Slip good, square bad.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-17-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
OK, I'll have to check out what kind of knot I had and how I install the new handle (square knot). I think on the old one, I just took the handle loop, brought it thru the rope loop and inserted the handle thru it and pulled it tight.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Tracy, that process does not change. You need to make sure neither of the loops do not double over and clinch tight. It's very simple but often overlooked. The loops naturally want to double over but you have to pull them straight. I guess I need to download a picture.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-17-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
A picture would be worth 1,000 words! Thanks!