Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (clintrn)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-30-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
What are some ideas for protecting the stern above the swim platform from scuff marks caused when putting on boards? I remember an article on WW awhile back with a plastic bar like running across, but I wasn't too impressed with the looks. Has anybody ever put on the that plastic coating that's applied to the front of cars and RV's?
Old    gaboarder            06-30-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
I used Gator Grip.

http://www.wakejunky.com/
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-30-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
Clint,
IF you have a teak (or wood for that matter) you can put an extra peice along the transom to keep boards from slipping and hitting it. MC sells them with there boats. Check with your dealer about what options are available. IF they don't have them, it couldn't cost to much to put one on yourself. Happy hunting.
Old     (kcsideways)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
Might also take a look at www.sanosports.com}
Old    mb_girl            06-30-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
If you have teak, get a transom saver through Teak World (that's what Paul is talking about). If you have a fiberglass platform, not too many options. Personally I put Scotchcal on my transom - here's a pic:

Clearguard/Scotchcal
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
Tracie,
Can we get a look at your transom?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
Sorry, the pic didn't show up at first.
Old    mb_girl            06-30-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
That's okay, I thought that maybe you were just getting cute.
Old    zboomer            06-30-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
Tracie, where's you pick up the Scotchcal? I'd love some of that for my boat (with fg platform).
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-30-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
here's my article describing how to build ugly transom savers and platform spacers :
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/transom.asp
as stated therein, you can easily substitute teak for UHMW.
Old    mb_girl            06-30-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSMPMMJT47be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_PKD7VS0CHGgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

I didn't get mine online since I didn't even try to do it myself. I've worked with this stuff before & unless you have a completely flat surface it's a PITA to get right. I payed a local Clearguard dealer to do it. It ran about $85 as I recall & it goes almost to the edges on the sides & just below the top of the platform (you can see where the top is & how they cut around the "Malibu" domed letters - don't try to cover those). If you want to try to do it yourself, you can usually get it locally. Just look in the phone book under auto customization, pinstriping, that kind of thing (it's the same stuff they use for rock chip protection).

Hope that helps.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-30-2004, 6:02 PM Reply   
I want to see tracie's transom
Old    mb_girl            06-30-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
Funny, I hear that from my husband all the time.
Old     (clintrn)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-30-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of a clear protection since I have a lg decal I don't want to cover. (Gotta give the Sky Supreme name some respect!) Gator grip and other stuff like that would cover it up. Thanks for the help though. I've never met Tracie and now I want to see her transom too. I'll look into some local car-detail places.
Old    zboomer            07-01-2004, 6:32 AM Reply   
Re. all the "transom" talk...nice...

ANYWAY, I have the same issue with the letters, Tracie. The back of my SSV says "Supra" in raised, rubber letters so I need a way to go over that which looks nice. http://www.wave-hosting.com/micah/launch/dsc05416s.jpg

I was thinking of building a clear plexiglass transom saver on the fiberglass platform. That might look nice. Wood would look like crap, since there's no other wood.

I'd have to screw it straight into the fg, or probably better, bolt it all the way through it.

But, I have no idea how to cut a piece of plexiglass into a nice curve and have it look nice.

Old    mb_girl            07-01-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
The other thing that I've been considering is having a metal (either billet or stainless) transom saver built for the platform. That might tie in nicely with the rest of the trim on the boat. The Scotchcal was really more of a quick fix for a season or 2 until I can figure out something a little better.