Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (silvtondvl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-15-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
I am thinking about getting a new boat, but all the boats have deeper hulls and higher towers. Which is nice, but my current boat fits in my garage(with the tower down) and I would like to keep it that way.
My question - anybody know if there is a new boat out there that fits in a 7ft tall door opening? Can't seem to find this info on the manufacture websites.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
first thing to look at is that a lot of 7 ft doors are only 6 ft 10-11 inches. From my experience, the 06 x1 (old tower design)will fit in a 7ft tall door (not any less, not even 6'11.5"). My 08 x2 fits, but I have to remove one side of the forks because you can not roll the board racks down otherwise). the x2 also basically needs the entire 7 ft and not any less.

Don't have any real world knowledge of other boats
Old     (smsbrett)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-15-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
Can't comment about too many brands, but I know MB frequently mentions the 7ft garage as a selling point for its boats. The dealer at the show mentioned it and it is on the website too.

And for full disclosure sake, I have no boat at all and am not sure what I'll be getting (hopefully) in the next year.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-15-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
ProFlight Chubby tower. Very tall and solid.
I love it but it will never come close to fitting a 7' door.
Old    stillstandin            03-15-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
My Sanger V215 with the Pro flight fits...
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-16-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
I have a '07 Malibu VLX and it fits barely. I do have a boatmate trailer and lower profile tires on it. I do have to remove the Titan Spinner racks because with the tower down, they are the high point. But, on the '07 there is only 1 allen bolt to remove each rack so it is not a big deal
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-16-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
2009 MB Sports B-52 Team Widebody and the 21' Tomcat will both fit easily under a 7'door.
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-16-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Have you checked out Tige's 2009 tower?

http://tigecinema.com/cinema.php?id=alphazfolding

This tower folds to windshield height, easily fitting into a garage. I've been checking out the RZ and after the demo, my dealer brought it over to my house, and it fits easily in my garage! One step closer to an RZ..... now that the weather is getting warmer, who knows!
Old     (silvtondvl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-17-2009, 3:56 AM Reply   
Kevin - your right about the door size, I was just keeping it simple.
Thanks everyone - I will check out what you all have suggested.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
I agree with Julianne, I had my dealer bring one to my house to make sure that it would fit. And it cleared easily, but when I took delivery of mine that is when I ran into the rack problem. The boat that he brought over did not have any racks on it. I also like that the Malibu Illusion towers only require pulling 2 pins and the tower goes down. I can do it myself easily and quickly. That was another big selling feature for me since I always garage mine. On the Malibucrew website there is a thread that lists the boats heights with towers up and down and what brand of trailer they are on too, I hope that helps.
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-17-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
My Supra 21v fits in my 7' (6'9") garage. It's a little tricky but it's in. I switch out the 5 1/4" drop hitch in the driveway to a 16" drop and then back it in.

(Message edited by cdtex14 on March 17, 2009)
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-17-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Billy is right, ease of lowering the tower is extremely important especially since we put our boat in the garage.

With the Tige tower you unlock two knobs and it is easily lowered. I'm an average girl (not a body-builder) and the tower on the 2009 Tige is really easy to lower, even with 4 Wet Sounds. One of the other things I like about the Tige tower is that it folds back leaving the interior open, so when it is in the garage the driver's seat, dash and front storage are easy to get to.

The tower design is one of the main reasons I'm looking.....
Old     (silvtondvl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-19-2009, 4:28 AM Reply   
Craig - what year Supra?

Thanks Billy- I will check that out.

Julianne - Not crazy about Tiges although we have a very good dealer here in Houston. My old roomate had one. Gets a new one every year. But I will check them out.
Old     (bmromfo)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-19-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
I put a contract in on a 08 x2 the other day. I made it contingent upon it fitting in my garage. We pulled it up there and it wasn't even close. It would fit under the molding of the garage, which is 7ft, but the actual metal brackets on the garage door hang down too far. It was about 4-6 inches from clearing. IMO, I'm not going to spend 60k on a boat I can't put in the garage by myself. Does anyone know if the vtx will fit?
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-19-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Check the Malibucrew website, they have a sticky there for towere heights raised and lowered and which brand trailer as well... I would think that a VTX would fit since my VLX does. I know that I have what is called a 7' door, I know that it is not a full 7' but I have not measured it. I do have to remove the spinner racks because they are the highest point, but you could get the lift-offs and that would solve that problem...
Old     (snowfire)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-19-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
I have 7' doors and my 2008 Supra 21V fits with the tongue down with about quarter inch to spare.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-19-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
BUILDERS NEED TO BUILD BIGGER GARAGES AND OPENINGS STANDARD!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-19-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Wow my garage must be real short! I have a 2006 Malibu VLX and to put the boat in the garage I have to let the air out of my tires, disconnect the trailer from the truck and lower the jack all the way to the ground then push by hand! And I still had to make a 2in wide and 1in tall notch in the trim board to clear the tow ball on the rack! Wish I had a taller garage! lol
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
Bryan - good thinking to have your deal contingent upon fitting in the garage!

At our place, everything goes in the garage... it is important our boat fits in there too! :-)

Robert - you go through a lot to get your's under cover - you do need to look at building a new garage.... :-)
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-20-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Scott,
The Supra is an '07.