Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
I used to just drive my 3/4 ton diesel for trips that didn't require a truck. Now with the cost of fuel, I rigged some extra board racks for the car.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Curious what others are doing to save on fuel.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
That is sweet!

But am I the only one confused on why you need the board rack on your car? are you towing the boat with it? winching?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-12-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
I am saving money by driving my wife's car that gets 28-30 mpg every day instead of my SUV. Our schedules work out so that we rarely need the fuel sipper at the same time. We also take it any time we are out running around.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
Nice concept, but that's about at dumb as towing them in the racks on the boat going down the freeway. They are only secured with bungie cords. Better hope they don't go flying out someday and through someone's windshield.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I don't think those are any more likely to fly off than a bike would be to fall off over a bump or a set of snowboards off the top of a SUV. At the same time I don't quite get it is the boat stored somewhere far from where you live?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
The difference is those are clamped and locked down, not strapped with bungie cords.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
My old Yakima rack had bungies and so does my sisters Thule snowboard rack.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
I've never seen a bungie rack, and wouldn't buy one.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
When I first tried it a couple of days ago I was nervous to get up to highway speeds wondering how they might react, then I noticed there is very little wind or air flow in that region since the laces for the bindings were hardly fluttering in the breeze. I took it up to 75 mph and no visible movement of the boards and the laces were just hanging and swinging a bit. The bungees are pretty tight and I will also have a cable with pad locks looped over when traveling both as extra holding and security.

The purpose for the racks is when I am not taking the boat and still going riding. When I am hauling the boat, then the truck is back in use.

(Message edited by ccryder on June 12, 2008)
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 9:30 PM Reply   
That sounds logical. You have to understand though, we would tell Tesla or Einstein how stupid they were.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-12-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
some states have a fuel credit on boat gas. in WA its about .20 per gallon. every little bit helps.
Old    alanp            06-12-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
jim those things arent going anywhere. you know how much crap ive had in the back of my truck that i wish would just blow out of there??!?!?! the bigger question is who is skiing these days??
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
fuel sales include a road tax, if you can prove to the IRS that you use the gas for non-overtheroad uses you can deduct the tax from your income taxes, ex. Boats and landscaping companies, but be ready for an audit.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-12-2008, 11:30 PM Reply   
bill,
here in WA you send it to the state and they send you the refund. Just keep your receipts and send them in. No tax return needed.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2008, 4:22 AM Reply   
Alan, obviously Jim or one of his crew is. I am too. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people who enjoy other activities on the lake besides just wakeboarding. Skiing, wake surfing, tubing, air-chair, kneeboarding or whatever. It's cool if you have narrowed it down to just one activity, but some of us like to mix it up.

Jman
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
Hey Alan,
Lori started skiing now, so she is doing both.. Got to make room to carry the long skinny thing on the rack.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
I used to carry wakeboards with this all the time:

Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
Tim those are the one's I'm talking about..
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
I'm saving money by cycling to the lake with my wakeboard strapped to a child seat on the back of the bike.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
"but that's about at dumb as towing them in the racks on the boat going down the freeway."

Not really.

Ever sit in the bed of a truck (before it was illegal)? Hardly any wind force behind the cab.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-13-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Good job man. I think that rack is pretty trick. I have been taking my beater commuter car when my boat gets left at home. Its kind of fun to see what you can fit in it. So far...two boards, one large ice chest, strapped the tube to the top, and three people. All in a 2dr hyndai accent junker (30+mpg) wish I had a pic..we were cracking up the whole way.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-13-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Roof racks cause a lot of drag, and reduce your mileage. Your rear rack doesn't add to the frontal area at all. Nice work.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
I got a new low profile 5 gal gas can that fits in the trunk of my car. My 138 Transcend fits with about 1/4 inch to spare. I'm golden. The truck now sits until I need to haul the boat. Usually someone else has a truck that can launch the boat.

Between that and getting 40MPG on my motorcycle I've cut my fuel use wayyy down. Gotta save cash for boat gas, right?

Nice job, Jim. Very creative. See you this weekend?
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-13-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Darren - fuel credit on boat gas? Where did you find out about this? I'm sure even if thats true, it isn't for California! Please let me know! We are up to $4.70 per gallon.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-13-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
I can't take a picture of me riding my bike and carrying my board, but you can imagine what it looks like.

One thing that is saving me money on fuel prices this year is our rivers and lakes being closed due to flooding.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-13-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
My Prius is taking us to the lake tomorrow instead of my Tahoe... gas prices are finally changing our behavior.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Yup.. It took a long time, but it's now happening. We're going to get the front of our Audi covered in clear bra and use it as our snow transit this year. The truck has just gotten too expensive to take to the mountains for just the two of us.

We've even started draining the ballast in our boat when we have to drive around. It takes a while, but the extra three bags make the boat a gas hog while you're driving around looking for a ride spot.
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
I couldn't find any pictures of it, but my brother and his friend built a custom board rack for his moped. It was cinched down in the back and worked great. He had it in CA and used it to bring his surfboard down to the beach. Worked really, really good.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
Wes... I've been wondering if that was possible. If I could get a board on my motorcycle I'd never need to drive a car. I just don't see it working out at freeway speeds. I think I'll abort that project before I even try it. LOL!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
I'd love to be able to take my surfboard to the beach with a bicycle, but I fear what happens when the wind catches a 10' longboard in a bike surf carrier.....
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-14-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
Evan just tow a trailer behind your motorcycle with the boards on it
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
All you need to do is have the board stick out behind you lengthwise on the bike. I do it all the time on my bike and have never had a problem. Even at 70-75 mph.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-15-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
Sweet rack...but isn't the inside of that Element full of useable room?
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-16-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:21pm
"I don't think those are any more likely to fly off than a bike would be to fall off over a bump or a set of snowboards off the top of a SUV. At the same time I don't quite get it is the boat stored somewhere far from where you live?"

See pictures for boat storage location.

Ha ha ha ha
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
By Ian Grist (daxxruckus): Darren - fuel credit on boat gas? Where did you find out about this? I'm sure even if thats true, it isn't for California! Please let me know! We are up to $4.70 per gallon.

Hey Ian,
Isn't this the same California you live in?

http://www.sco.ca.gov/col/taxinfo/gtr/index.shtml

Most states have a system setup where they will refund the tax money that is intended for streets & roads if your using the gas off-road.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       06-16-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Thanks Bill - yep, same CA. How exactly does this work? Has anyone done it before?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-16-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
We have that in Texas. Did it last year and got about an $80.00 check. Dont know how it is in CA but in Texas you basically save your receipts fill out a form and submit it back.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
You basically have to save your gas receipts & submit them with the form filled out. A couple weeks later you get a check in the mail. The money your getting back is the tax dollars used for the roads, usually like 15 - 20 cents per gallon. Doesn't sound like much one gallon at a time, but when you submit 3 months worth of your gas & get a free tank or two out of it, it makes it worth your time & postage stamp!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Make sure you read the rules carefully...I found the form for Colorado and was all excited because it looked like I could do it. I then researched a little more and found that it's for commercial use only.
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-16-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
so I was thinking about using a roof rack like the one Tim showed... Would any clamp style snowboard / ski rack work for a wakeboard? or did you have to modify it all because of it being thicker than a snowboard?
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
Is a refund available for the tax paid on gasoline used in a vessel?
Refunds of the tax paid on gasoline are available if the vessel is used in the ocean beyond the three (3) mile limit. Refunds of the tax paid are also available if used in propelling a vessel operated by its owner on waters located on private property owned or controlled by the claimant.

I thought this might be to good to be true. Looks like it was designed for farmers and contractors.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Those thules are peista shiats! we have those for our burban in the winter and they always freeze up and their just flimsy, dont like them at all.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-16-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
There are only a handful of states that allow refunds or set up a fund for waterways with the taxes. The other states, Louisiana (where half the population are boaters) included, get stiffed and it goes to the general road fund. Here are the states that allow refund on the taxes and there is more info here.

http://www.boatus.com/gov/state_taxrefund.asp
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
Illinois tax refund

http://tax.illinois.gov/taxforms/misc/mft/RMFT11A.pdf