Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-30-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
Hey guys, so I'm looking for some cheap weight this year to put in the boat for wakeboarding, last year I did 400lbs of sand in the bow, worked great, except it is always there. And I can't afford fatsacks this year sooo here is my idea. I was thinking taking a towable tube and putting a fatsac connecter on it and using a portable ballast pump to fill and drain it. I know how to put the fitting in and all that, and tubes are air tight so it shouldn't leak water, but I'm wondering if the force of the water will burst it. I mean they can handle 2 200lbs people bouncing up and down goin 40+ mph lol so there is some strength. I have a tube laying around but just curious If it would work. Let's hear some feedback on this please.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
Sounds like it would work to me. I can't imagine it will burst unless it is punctured by something or you fill it way too full.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-30-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Go big, get a waterbed mattress and fill that up
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-30-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
I see bad things happening.. .lol. I'm not sure the seams of a tube would hold up to the water pressure over time. Then you ruin a tube and have no ballast

You can find cheap bags. Check this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skiers-Choic...8de3be&vxp=mtr

$60.. doesn't say the specs but should be around 300lbs I'm guessing? Then just leave 100lbs of sand in there. Or just keep your eyes on classifieds, there's always deals. It's worth the $100 investment.. its only one less tank of gas for the year
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-30-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
You can get a pair of 350's for about $120 off ebay. If you can afford a tank of gas you should be able to get hooked up. You can get a single 800 for $150.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-30-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
Water ballast is very affordable now. Don't try to reinvent the wheel just buy cheap bags and make your own pump.

Straight Line 540 lb. Ballast Bag

You can make a pump using the components below:
1) Attwood Tsunami 800
1) 12v Power Adapter
2) Straight Line LINK x 3/4" Thread Adapter
1) 3/4" Thread x 3/4" Hose Barb Fitting
10) Black Ballast Hose
2) Stainless Steel Hose Clamp

Total Cost: $159.00 including shipping
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-02-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Yea I know guys and if I had the money a fly high bow sac is where it would go. I just had a baby and I guess I don't have as much disposable income as most of you. I'm pretty sure it will work and I think I'm gonna try it. I will post back and let y'all know how it goes.

Hey on the make your own pump what fly high fittings do I need for the hose end and the pump end? Also what fitting would go on the bag? Looking for quick connect.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       04-02-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
Do Not Do!!!!! Tubes are designed for air, Air compresses. Water does not compress. It will blow your seem! Just saying
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-02-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
Yeah the tube idea is not going to work very long. They are not made to hold water.

If you are going to use the pump for Fly high bags you will need the parts list below.

1) Attwood Tsunami 800
1) 12v Power Adapter
2) Fly High W732
1) 3/4" Thread x 3/4" Hose Barb Fitting
10) Black Ballast Hose
2) 3/4" Stainless Steel Hose Clamp

Total Cost: $50 to $60
Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-02-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
I agree with everyone here if you can afford a tank of fuel just get the right bags. On the other hand my friend has used cheap inflatable tubes as surf ballast and hasnt blown up yet. Good luck.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
Find some stuff around the house to sell on Craigslist and get something like Spencer posted up. Heck, sell the tube in question on CL as money towards it!
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-02-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
Fill the tube with water on your lawn and get busy with it. Test the seams in your yard first!
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       04-03-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
I say go for it! If it fails, you get some water (OK quite a bit of water) in your boat but I have probably gotten that much over my bow. The pumps will empty it and the boat will dry. I think would use a little forward vision though and buy a pump that will work with your desired future ballast system. I have no experience here but I don't think it makes sense to buy cheaper now and the have to buy again later.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-03-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm not as worried about the seams because the tube is bigger than my mow, so when filled its not like is sitting in the yard and all the outside edges have the pressure, the sides of my bow will constrict it... and worst case it busts and I will just have to save for a bow sack. Thanks guys I will let ya know how it turns out.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-03-2012, 11:31 PM Reply   
Two or three years ago, someone posted some ideas here which consisted of simple buckets full of recycled lead or something. I just tried but couldn't find it on the search function.