Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (nate_s)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-08-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I have a 88 sunsport, and have been surfing behind it for a bit now and would like to get the wave better as I am going to focus on surf rather than wakeboarding this season. I know that some people have used this hull and gotten good results but curious if anyone has a starting point for how much weight and where, pics would be awesome too.

thanks all,

-Nate
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-10-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
Nate - I just got an 87 SunSport, so very interested in how it's been for you so far. Have you been able to clean up the wave at all or is it mostly washy?

Here's the only other SunSport surf pic I've seen around:
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php/photo/16813/cat/3480
Old     (nate_s)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-10-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
Well,
Unfortunately I don't have any pics of us surfing but the best we had was about a mid upper thigh high wave, (portside) that was with a 350 lb sac crammed in the rear locker, and 4 people on the back seat, and 3 people in the front ( about 1000 lbs of people weight )and a 300 lb sac to list it to the portside so figure 1650 ish lbs in the boat, and by moving people around we did pretty well. I also found making a slight turn did wonders for the wave. I believe with a little more weight I can get it better, I want to build a setup that runs 400-600 lbs in the front, and ~700 in the rear, and then do about 500 ish in the 155 lb fat cubes so we can move them from port to starboard when we go from a reg rider to a goofy rider. But I am looking to see if thats enough weight, and if the placement is right

(Message edited by nate_s on May 10, 2008)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-06-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Nate and updates? My 87 Sunsport is still very new to me, So I'm still getting her dialed in. Also posting around and trying to ask others experiences.

So far we've only gotten her setup for surfing once, but I think I get the picture. We had one bag in the rear locker, one person driving and three more all sitting on the port side rail of the boat.

We were going a little fast about 14mph. Really did the trick with a thigh high clean crisp wave. Surfing was easy, I was doing it first time up, first try.

I found that my Supra responds well to weight in the rear ski locker or under the rear seat for a wakeboard boat.

But for a surf wake, I don't even think the amount of weight is as important as the placement of the weight. It all needs to be in the port rear corner.
Old     (nate_s)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-08-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I dont have any updates as of now, my boat is actually get new upholstery so I havent had it out in a little bit ( sucks as its prime season , but I am getting a REALLY good deal )

last I was out I also found that weight in the front helped alot too, gave the wave more "push" and meat to it.
Old     (spyderman)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-14-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Hey that picture in the second post is me! That was our 1985 Sunsport. We tried a couple different weighting options with that boat. Here is what we found:

BIG surf wake
1000 lb integrated bow sac under the front playpen filled about 40% or so
600 lb launch seat next to the engine on the surf side (not sure if you can find those anymore, but that seat was great to sit on to watch a surfer)
400 lb tube sac in the back ski locker.
About 1400 lbs of ballast and as many people as you can cram on that side of the boat - if the driver stood in the middle that helped too. The list was really important.

That setup really produced the best surf wake. Somewhere a little above mid-thigh to hip.

If we were only out for a little bit and wanted to get a quick set in without all of the sacs (you know that can be a long process to fill and drain everything), we tried two quick options:

1. Just fill the 600 lb launch seat and pile 2-3 people on that side of the back of the boat. No ballast up front.

2. Fill the rear locker sac (400 lb) and fill 3 fat bricks (155 lb each) and stack them in the corner. No ballast up front.

Those 2 options didn't have the biggest wake, but it was definitely surfable.

I hope that helps. That boat was great for surfing.