Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (crusrdug)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-13-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
My wife bought a Thresher for me from them last August. I was disappointed with how the grip pad was installed off center and one of the allens holding the fin in was stripped. I talked to Jerry one time and he asked me to send him pictures. Since then I have not received any response to my emails or calls. I love the board and just want to swap it out for another.

Anybody know if they are still in business?
Old    surfdad            01-13-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
That doesn't sound like Jerry. I know that he is caring for his aged mother out of town frequently, so that may be the deal.

Shred Stixx is still in business and active as all get out - http://www.slayshblog.com/ is just one example of the activity.

Make sure that you've followed up with the pictures and maybe give his office a call, I know that Jerry returns all those calls.

925-240-7517
Old     (crusrdug)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-13-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
Thanks...I'll try again.

I've seen places disappear overnight these days and I know they just took on a big move to new facilities, so you never know.
Old    surfdad            01-13-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Yeah I hear 'ya. Jerry's still good, I'm sure he'll treat you right.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-13-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
ya, Jerry is a really nice guy! I would try him again. They definitely won't be going anywhere anytime soon
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-14-2009, 2:43 AM Reply   
Anyone know if he plans to update his website anytime soon? I sent him a message a while ago about Chase Hazen's pro model, but I never got a response. Very interested in that board.
Old    surfdad            01-14-2009, 4:55 AM Reply   
When I was back at Surf Expo those folks gave me a peek at an updated site, but like you point out...nothing yet.

Have you looked at the Texas Shreds website? They have the Comp I listed as available. I'm not quite sure what the limited edition Comp I is all about, it looks to be the same board with a neon green or orange paint, but it's listed as $100 cheaper.

http://www.txshreds.com/TXshreds/Limited_Edition.html
Old    lakeside5_10            01-14-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
not a signature model
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-14-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Does that mean the difference is only cosmetic?
Old    surfdad            01-14-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
The descriptions and the spec's are identical, at least I couldn't find any difference and the "LE" page indicates it's a Comp I design. I honestly thought the price was a typo on the LE page. Best to call or email those folks and clarify.
Old    lakeside5_10            01-14-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
I remember dealer cost is also lower
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-14-2009, 11:51 PM Reply   
hey hang in there guys, the boys at shreds have been making big changes. website on the way. the LE is a comp one. (chases board) i dont know any thing about pricing you would have to talk to clint or rusty at tx shreds. those are the guys you want to get in touch with too doug. they will help you out. there is more info on slayshblog about the LE boards aswell.
Old     (crusrdug)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-15-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
I'm in CA, but is TXshreds taking over the main store operations?
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-15-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
yea kinda, what part of cali are you in? i might be able to work something out with those guys for you. hit me up with a private email and we will work on your situation.

oh and sorry the LE is not on slayshblog.com its on the txshreds website. i think they are different construction than the normal comp I
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-29-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
Looks like the new Shredstixx site has been put up.

http://www.shredstixx.com

(Message edited by taft on January 29, 2009)
Old    farrah            01-29-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
hey shred stixx has their new site up, and there is also the Slayshblog.com site which is rad. It's like all extreme sports and pics and cool stuff like that.

and the myspace/shredstixx.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-29-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
just because of this thread? ;p)
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-30-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
^^No^^ Things like the new site, and Slayshblog are not just reactionary things because of one guys episode. Remember that with every "complaint" there is always the other side of the story. Please don't get the wrong idea about Jerry, or ShredStixx because of a one sided discussion. Believe me, there is more that has transpired than this thread indicates.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
It says on their site that they are all hand shaped and have a wood stringer. I thought their main line of wakesurfs were just epoxy, that was mass produced in china?
Old    surfdad            01-30-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
"Epoxy" in this context is the resin that is used to laminate fiberglass to a foam core. The other most commonly used resin is polyester. Companies differentiate their product with epoxy as polyester is weaker, tends to shrink and loses responsiveness with repeated flex cycles.

There is one line of wakesurfers that uses no external lamination, but the vast majority laminate fiberglass on the exterior of a foam core. Epoxy gains it's strength in a matrix with fiberglass, carbon or the like. It's not strong or stiff enough by itself unless applied extremely thick.

My understanding of the production of Shred Stixx boards are they use a close tolerance EPS blank that has a balsa wood stringer. It is shaped and then glassed, double 6 oz fiberglass top and single 6 oz fiberglass bottom using epoxy as the resin. This is the surf industry standard laminate schedule.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       02-01-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
The Stixx have always been and always will be hand shaped and glassed despite the quantities needed the last few years.
The new site has been under construction since before Surf Expo as Jeff mentioned.
Doug, Still have not received the photos requested back in Sept. If you sent , please resend.I am out of town for the most part till the end or Feb.............Jerry
PS Farrah/Greg gonna start testing the 2010 Stixx in Mar. Come by and ride w/ us.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-01-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
i have a surf shop in austin texas and do ding repairs on all boards.
some of them happen to be shredd stixx,not one of them was from a manufactures defect.
after 4 years,not one complaint has come into my shop about the shredd stixx warranty
fyi
Old     (crusrdug)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-01-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
Jerry, Thanks for responding to this thread. I have sent them twice to contact@shredstixx.com and I have left some phone messages. I see on the new site you have jerry@shredstixx.com, so I will try that one too. Please let me know when you get them and what I can expect going forward. Thanks again.