Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
PROBLEMS IM EXPIERENCING

CENTER BALLAST TRIPPING CIRCUIT ON DRAIN CYCLE
STEERING WHEEL OFF 1/4 TURN
FUEL GAUGE NOT RELIABLE
SPEEDO LAGS GIVES DIFFERENT INFO VS PERFECT PASS
VERY POOR STEERING IN REVERSE (NORMAL?)

I FALLOWED THE BERAK IN PROTOCALL TO THE T.
PUT GAS IN IT WENT OUT THE NEXT MORNING TO DO SOME BOARDING WITH THE FAM AND MY WATER PUMP SIEZED AND MELTED THE BELT

I WILL SAY THAT WHEN THE BOAT WAS RUNNING WELL IT WAS AMAZING

HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS STUFF BEFORE OR AM I JUST LUCKY
MIKE
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
A. turn off your caps lock

B. wakeboard boats don't steer in reverse (they will naturally pull to one side based on the prop direction)

C. if you mean that the wheel's not "straight" when the boat is going straight, you're like 99% of the boats that I've been in.

D. your speedo pickups may be clogged. You can clean them out pretty easily if that is the case.
Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
its off a full 1/4 turn
Old    bocephus            07-01-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
That's normal, but you can adjust it if you want. It's a PITA though.

Boy,I would hate to see you in a lessor quality boat than a Sanger, no telling what you would think...The belt problem isn't under Sanger's control, it's Mercury's deal and will be handled under warranty...
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-01-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
Mike, I have the same boat and the speedo vs PP issue is common. The speedo uses pitots while the PP uses a paddle wheel. For the most part they are close, but using a GPS I found the PP to be much more accurate. I notice a difference a lot of times during acceleration, the speedo will be 5 mph or so behind the PP. Also, calibration via GPS is crucial.

Also, I had the ballast breaker trip on me on two different pumps. I opened the pump up and there was something stuck inside both times.

Did you open up your water pump to see if there was something stuck in the impeller? If you're riding at castaic I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up some junk there in the water pump and the ballast pump.
Old    walt            07-01-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
STEERING WHEEL OFF 1/4 TURN - I agree with Bocephus.

FUEL GAUGE NOT RELIABLE- This is not unique to Sanger.

SPEEDO LAGS GIVES DIFFERENT INFO VS PERFECT PASS. Calibrate your speedo's and PP with a GPS.

CENTER BALLAST TRIPPING CIRCUIT ON DRAIN CYCLE.- Sounds like a bad pump or short.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-01-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Mike, set your sterring wheel were your rudder is straight, take off your sterring wheel via allen bolts, put your steering wheel back on at your likeings. Your steering wheel and rudder will be pretty close but not perfect.
Old    stillstandin            07-01-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
I have the same boat, my current boat, and my former boat were off about the same amount on the steering. I use the fuel guage as a reference, thats it (most boats are like this). My speedo and perfect pass are close, but not exact. My pickups on my boat get clogged now and again. And the other two issues will be taken care of...no biggie.
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
I do not have a Sanger but these problems are minor.

My 04 X2 had the steering wheel off at least 1/4 turn, we brought tools to the lake and pulled the wheel off and re-indexed it till I was happy.

Fuel gauge not reliable- I'm guessing not accurate, instead of malfunctioning. My boats gauge reads very high when pulling a rider but seems to be pretty accurate when I'm off-plane.

My ballast pump breaker(s) will trip if I run my pump(s) dry. You may have a blockage or a kinked line. Or a bad pump.

My PP and speedo were not agreeing, so I adjusted the PP to jive with the speedo. I really need to get a GPS to verify the accuracy.

Poor steering in reverse is normal for a single engine inboard.

You bought a good boat with some minor bugs. Not fun, but not unusual.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-01-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
I pretty much only use PP to determine correct speed.

Try to never let your fuel guage read below 1/4 tank. That's boating 101.

Only on inboard I know of that supposedly steers in reverse (Epic)

My steering wheel is a little off too but I thought it may be due to the specific rotation of the prop, just a theory.

It stinks your Merc took a dump on you but it is covered under warranty so get it fixed and get used to the lovely imperfections of boating.
Old    Ben Kerran            07-01-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
As stated above these are very typical issues and you will have things like this with most boats. The only additional advice (beyond what has been stated above) is to be sure and turn on one ballast tank pump at a time (if you are not) and see if that helps. The initial start up of the pump will put a quick strain on your voltage (2 or 3 seconds). Mine do better if I start them a few seconds apart.

Good Luck
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
Epic steers in reverse? is it the dual rudders?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
Are all you guys with your steering wheels off riding Sangers? Just curious because our old Centurion and newer Malibu' steering wheel is dead center.
Reverse steering- always sucks every boat get used to which way it turns you and use it to your advantage when you can.
Fuel gauge- Agree with all of the above.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-02-2007, 5:07 AM Reply   
Marc - Yes, it has two rudders, they call it 'vector steering'

Mike V - Your sanger will pull to the right when going in reverse, its due to the direction the prop turns (I think). If I remember correctly, all inboards do this except for Nauti's who pull to the left because there props spin in the other direction
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   

quote:

By Marc (wake_pirate) on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:04 pm:

Epic steers in reverse? is it the dual rudders?

Have you looked into getting a Nissan?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
hey mike i sent you a pm. give me a call if your having problems getting things straightend out. you would not be the first. one big word of advised, dont take your boat back thier just call kal kustoms and talk to scott or the best way to fix your prolems and quuick is to email him. i will pm you his email if you like. good luck bro.