Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
so basically i had a long night for my 21st birthday and ended up way to drunk and that resulted in my going down face first into my driveway, which resulted in the most expensive night out on the town that ill ever have in my life, since now i gotta get a root canal on one of my teeth and the front top tooth is getting pulled since i cracked it in half way above the gum line, I have 3 options which are a denture type tooth that i can just put in a retainer, i can get a bridge, or an implant, unfortunately at this time in my life with my pocket book being close to none, i am looking at the denture or partial repair thing they have, anyone have any experience with the implant or bridge, they both cost about the same, and both are not an option til after fire season when i can make some extra cash to pay for it. Any info is helpful i know the implant is the better option but i wanna know if anyone has any experience with this?
Thanks Kyle
AND i learned the lesson on the 21st thats for sure!!!!
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-04-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
my wife said to get a implant. dont do a bridge because it will make the two teeth on either side of the chipped tooth weaker. she said if you have enough tooth left then you can do a crown lengthening, but the best is to save up and do an implant. she is an assistant at a pario office. which tooth is it?
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
I busted my two front teeth in'94. Gnarly chip on one, and sheared the othe right at the gumline. A good dentist bonded the bottom of the chipped tooth and stuck a metal post and crown into the remainder of the other tooth.

At the time he said it would be less invasive than a bridge (implants werer kinda new) and he thought it would last about 7 years. Now 15 years into it, the bonded portion is bit off color and the post is loose. - luckily my smile does not reveal much teeth...

So I am now going to get an implant for the loose post. They will pull that tooth, and I will have to rear a retainer with a fake tooth in it (like what you described) for about 4-6 months for the bone graft in the void to take.

The implant is better than a bridge in the front becuase the bridge will anchor into pretty weak teeth, plus you are root canaling two good teeth to make one.

So either way you are probably going to have the retainer, jut wear it for 9 months and get the implant.

That's my story and take - good luck
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-04-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
I need implants for my front two teeth too. I just had impressions taken this morning for the temporary fake tooth. Had em knocked out in '90 when the tube just above the fork of my bike snapped so I lost the front wheel and did a faceplant. I picked them up off the ground and they put them back in, then had root canals eventually. They have lasted me 20 years so I guess I can't complain.

For the retainer with a fake tooth I am going to get the "essex" style which is waaaay more comfortable. It is what I had after I had m braces removed, basically the same thing as an "invisalign" without moving your teeth around.

I am going to do one tooth at a time. They are going to try for an immediate implant but if the site is less than perfect they'll go for the bone graft and then implant at a later date. The overall cost is about $5400 per tooth, thankfully I have dental insurance which should take out about 2000 of that. Bobby, what kind of costs are you getting quoted?
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
its my central incisor, and the one that got the root canal is the lateral incisor right next to it!!!!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-04-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
Ouch, Happy Birthday... I've broken one of my front teeth and had it capped and I've also broken the cap twice. Not fun, I imagine you're not feeling too good right now.

I have worn retainers too they make it hard to speak at first but you get used to it pretty quickly. My flatmate has the post in the bone with the tooth glued to it, they discolour more like was said above other than that it looks normal enough.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-04-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Get an implant done in Mexico. This isn't a joke. The dental clinics along the US border are popular with US citizens without insurance. It may be worth your while to check it out online. My parents have had work done at a fraction of US prices. The dentists have done dental school in the states and practice in Mexico where they don't have to pay ridiculous insurance premiums.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
Rod that is a great idea im going to look into this, its super convenient since my family actually owns a condo in mexico and my parents are heading down there next week so they are going to ask around since ill be heading there probably for christmas. I cant believe i didnt think of it thanks man!!!!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Damn Mexico is a great idea! I just dished out 1500 for a crown on a molar and have two more coming on my two front teeth that I broke when I was a kid and cracked them. They finally died and at least I have the ability to get a crown. Maybe I will go gold!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
I got an implant on one of teeth beside the front teeth was broken when a pedal let loose on my bike when I was a kid. A metal rod was installed in the original tooth/bone and it held for over 10 years. Had it replaced a few years ago, using the same rod.

Funny this came up today. 'Got my 4 wisdom teeth pulled today. I feel great and am wondering what all the hub-bub is about. No pain, feel great. Just have to eat blended soup, pudding and jello. I think the loritabs are doing very well though. We'll see when I may not be so happy tomorrow when I miss the 4 hour mark tonight.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
surgeon -tooth removal, bone graft, + implant = $1700

my regular dentist - stay plate + crown = ??
I think he said around $500?

So $2200. I've seen ads in the paper for total costs of ~1800.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-04-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
Dang! I must have a high falootin' dentist/periodontist!
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-04-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
Try a "mini dental implant". One of my clients uses those and they're cheaper.

Good luck.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
have a full implant, not the coolest thing but hey i knocked the same tooth out 5 times.lol i went with the implant because the crowns are never that strong.. money aside you will completely forget its fake over time. just stay away from girls with black lights, they make your tooth visible. so if your going in for the kill on a girl look around for black lights first.lol
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-04-2010, 11:32 PM Reply   
OK, Here's the deal. I'm a dentist. My best recommendation is beg, borrow, steal, but get the implant.
Options: 1) extract the tooth and get a flipper. Total cost will be about $600-$700. Advantages- It's the cheapest way to go. Disadvantages: You'll have a removable appliance in your mouth which you will grow to HATE. If you go this way, you will limit your options down the road. The bone will gradually resorb such that you will not be able to do an implant in the future without extensive and expensive bone grafting. Also, the soft tissue will never look as good down the road if you do an implant at a later time.
2) Fixed bridge- The problem with this is that you have to cut down 2 perfectly good teeth to hold in the one fake tooth. You are 21 years old. The bridge will have to be redone several times over your lifetime. Each time the abutment teeth will get weaker and weaker, and eventually, they tend to break off, leaving you with a bigger and more expensive problem. Also, cleaning the bridge is somewhat difficult, because you will have to thread floss underneath it. The problem of bone resorption is also a factor. Total cost is approximately $3600
3) Implant- Advantages are that it is freestanding. It preserves the bone, soft tissue, and your overall feeling of well-being. It truly can give you the best long term favorable result.
If you want to come to Cupertino, I will set aside some time to examine you, and advise you at no cost to you. PM me or send me an email (see profile) if you want to pursue this.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-05-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention last night when I typed the above that the total cost on the implant would be around $5000.

Regarding going to Mexico for dental work: DON'T DO IT! In 25 years of being a dentist in California, I have seen a fair amount of Mexican dentistry. In that time, I have seen only one mouth that had anywhere near the standard of care that you should demand. That person was from an upper class Mexican family, and the work was done in Mexico City. I have seen many disasters. The "border" dentistry that you will get will almost certainly be a disappointment or worse. There are not really any "bargains" in dentistry. Now I'm sure you can get ripped off or mistreated in the USA, but your odds of getting a nice result are far higher.
Someone above mentioned insurance as the reason our dentistry is more expensive. I assure you that in dentistry, that has very little to do with it. Dental malpractice is not like medical malpractice. With implants, a very significant portion of the cost has to do with materials used. Implants are manufactured under very strict standards, and as such are very expensive. The actual "parts" are a significant portion of the cost. Additionally, on the restorative side, (i.e. building the tooth on top of the implant) the lab work is extremely expensive. You simply can't get the same result for 1/3 of the cost.
Good luck to you. If I can be of further assistance let me know.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-05-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Benny- "Mini" implants are not appropriate for Kyle's problem.

Bobby- Where are you getting those quoted fees? We could not come close to covering our costs at those fees.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2010, 9:32 PM Reply   
peter thanks for the info, i wont be getting the implant anytime soon, but should i still go in for a quote, i just had the tooth pulled today and am in a bunch of pain, the worst part is my pocket book since i have to pay an extra 500 because apparently i needed a bone graft to, wish i didnt need that, but they said i needed it since i cracked the bone and in order to get an implant i needed that bone there. Hope i get this all done soon, thanks for all the info everybody!!!!
Kyle
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
Peter,

Thanks for your contribution on this post!! It is good to have a professional chime in.

The implant is a written quote. The plate and crown I am going by my memory, and maybe my dentist is factoring insurance? Could I be off my $500?

I know for the implant insurance is only covering 1/2 of the extraction cost, nothing else.

I am off on plate and crown????
Old     (deltaboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-06-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
My friend went to dental school at UOP's dentistry program in San Francisco and I know they had people coming in for work all the time. Seems like a scary option having a student work on your but the teachers are watching their every move. Try giving them a call
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
Gong to dental school isn't a terrible option. My Boss did that for a friend.
Had some major major work done all in 1 day. He cam back looking
like the kid in Mask with a drooling problem for 72 hrs from all the swelling.
Otherwise his teeth & gums look great
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-06-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
listen to peter t, get care credit and pay over time, its worth every penny. you will regret not getting it now and you will never retain your soft tissue and have a natural look if you wait. Btw, an implant for a central is a great restorative option, it will have great retention. for the crown after the implant, have a emax/ lithium disilicate crown made. they do not show up under a black light like a lucite and blend well:-) good luck