Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-13-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
Have opprotunity to pick up a sick 06' SS Trailblazer w 395hp Vett motor w all options available for great price. Always figured my next tow truck would be a Z71. Need some input from some owners ect... we pull a 20' MC 205, 5500lbs.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-13-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
i just got rid of a TBSS not too long ago... never towed with it but it did run like a bat outta hell
Old     (surfaddict)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
I would have to say that if you plan to tow your boat a fair bit to go with the Z71. The blazer might be more fun to drive but when you go to tow your boat you will be sadly disappointed. The transmission, drive line, ujoints and differential are not designed for that application. It might have lots of ponies but it likely does not put as much tourque to the ground and your fuel bill will be through the roof. Braking power might also be an issue depending on the size of the rotors, calipers etc. I would look at from a needs point of view and look at the pros and cons to make the choice. I myself would always opt for the pickup but that is just me.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-13-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
A couple of thoughts:

1) How is it possible that your MC 205 weighs 5500 lbs? The boat is only 3,050 lbs. The trailer is another 1,000 lbs. Gas is 300 lbs. Your boat might not weigh as much as you think.

2) The TBSS has a tow capacity of 6,600 lbs. Seems like you'd be good to go! Is it a 3/4 ton diesel? No... but it seems like a good compromise considering you'll be driving it 99% w/out a trailer.

3) I don't agree with the last post... not enough torque?? TBSS puts down 400 ft-lbs! A 1/2 ton Silverado only puts down 338 ft-lbs. Also, I don't think the statement about tranny, drive line, etc. is totally accurate. If it was, the rig wouldn't have a tow rating of 6,600 lbs.

I say hit the TBSS.

Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-13-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
I tow my 21' Sanger on a double axle trailer behind my Saab 9-7x with the 4.2 engine.
It goes over two major mountain passes on a seven hour trip and it never slows down on cruise control. That SS is the same wheelbase with 105 hp extra. It would never give you a problem.
Biggest advantage over the Z71 is that the turn radius is about a mile shorter and it's easy to park and manoeuver as a result.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-13-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
The question you need to ask is whats the gearing on the SSTB? That'll affect your towing majorly!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-13-2009, 10:32 PM Reply   
I have a TBSS now (just like pictured) and have towed my VLX all over the state with it. It tows really good actually and the mileage it got while towing was pretty amazing I thought (10-12mpg avg). I wouldn't be scared to tow your 205 with that SS. If towing any mountain passes I'd make the small investment in a tranny cooler. The SS's don't have any tow haul mode or anything.

Gearing on the SS is 4:10.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-14-2009, 12:16 AM Reply   
4:10 is plenty to tow!

such a nice truck
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-14-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
ixfe, I had the boat and trailer on a scale at local co-op and it was over 5k weight with tower and all goodies and weight add on's.
You guy's who know the SS are right on spot with the torque, gearing, brakes are oversize ect... Owner towed a 23'boat about 20times and had a tran cooler put on. Their family grew by 2 unexpectedly and they went to a full size SUV. I had wanted a Z71 Tahoe SUV but the SS is hard to pass up for the price and it's spotless, garage kept ect...
The size of the SS concerned me as I do not want to be pulled around by my boat. The Tahoe/ Yukon just has more room but... decisions, decisions...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
It would tow fine with 3:73's let alone 4:10's It'll do you right. I'd check but I believe the towing capacity on those is limited by the tongue weight alone figuring 10-15% which is the norm you'd be showing it 660-990 lbs on the hitch. The deals on the TBSS is really freakin good right now I'd bet you're ripping it.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-14-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
It will tow fine. I used to tow my 205 with the inline 6 trailblazer. it worked okay, hell I towed all the way up to clear lake for boardstock with it. The SS would tow that boat easy peasy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-14-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
205 is a light boat... It'll be no problem.

Sick looking ride, too.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-14-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
We've been towing our 22Ve with an 02 Trail Blazer LTZ W/ 4.2L and 3:73 for 3 yrs now. Over 110K on it - No engine, drive line, trans or suspension parts replaced yet. Only had one set of brakes replaced on front and rear.

Go with the one you like best $.02
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
I'd say go with the SS but definitely put a tranny cooler on it (cheap insurance). If you upgrade to a 22' or larger boat I would personally want a longer wheelbase truck but that's just my personal preference. Go for it, they are cool trucks.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-14-2009, 11:59 PM Reply   
Oh crap, Chevy really put 4:10's on those bad boys????? Then go for it. You'll love towing w/ that gearing. Even w/ 3:73's on that truck you would have loved it.

I asked about the gearing, b/c Chevy tends to love to handicap their hot rods w/ 3:23 gearing for some reason.
Old     (lstewie)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-15-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
I tow a 21 foot supreme with my 06 TBSS. I think it does an awesome job and you will not be dissapointed! I average 10.5 mpg and have no problems going up and down canyons (Utah). Another nice feature of the TBSS is the auto leveling rear suspension!!
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-16-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
i have a 06 TBSS and tow my XSTAR everywhere with it. I also towed an X2 from florida to NJ multiple times as well.

If youre going to be doing alot of long distance towing I would definitely get the tranny cooler tho. I'm a little hard on my truck and after a long distance trip towing my boat the tranny had to be replaced. It was all covered under warranty which was awesome tho. I still love my SS and would never trade it in for anything else.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-18-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
I have towed with my old SS (miss the hell outta that truck)no problem what so ever.
Old     (thiggi)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-19-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Go with the SS. You can always beef if up if ya need to haha! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_69TxJD8U
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-20-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Z71 are a turd, my buddy tows his vlx and hates it, never towed with the ss though but ive heard good things, exept for fuel consumption
Old     (jcush313)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-21-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
i have a 2007 silverado vortec max 6.0. it runs like a raped ape and pulls like theres nothing behind it. best of both worlds!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-21-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
I have been towing with my 99 Z71 since I bought it in 2001. It's not the greatest tow vehicle I've ever owned, but it gets the job done with my VLX. I had a 2500 CCLB 4x4 Duramax for about a year, but sold it and kept my old Z71 because was paid off and did the job fine.

I'm sure the TBSS will do it no problem power-wise, but I would still be a little concerned with the running gear. Aren't Trailblazers unibody? does it have a half ton rear axle? There are also considerable towing safety and stability benefits of a longer wheelbase and more curb weight.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-21-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
I agree with trace, the curb weight and wheelbase will make a difference, acceleration and braking should be great, probably better than alot of 1/2 ton trucks, but its hitting bumps on the freeway at 60mph where you will notice a difference in the weight of your tow rig. My dad's Tacoma would tow my boat fine but it would bottom out in the rear on big hits on the road, plus the trailer will move a lighter vehicle around more. I like a longer wheelbase tow rig myself, seems safer, but more of a PITA in tight parking lots and stuff
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-21-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Always bigger and more comfortable! I tow with an 02 Tahoe Z71 and before i always had standard Tahoes and Subs, always 4x4x. Seem that the Z71 is the best i'v ever had. It now has 150k miles and still getting 20mpg without the boat. Think i might keek it tillit dies...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
The Trailblazer is a full framed vehicle, not a uni, and can come equipped with tow package. Its a "real" SUV and will pull and stop just fine with it's 4-wheel disk brakes. Probably has the same 4L60E trans as the pickup. The TB will actually sag less then the pickup due to the shorter distance from the hitch ball to the rear axle as compared to the pickup.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
I'm sure the Trailblazer will tow that boat fine, but it all depends on how far you tow, and how comfortable you want to be.

I've been towing for years with 3/4 ton Suburbans, while it may seem over kill, the longer wheel base, and heavier springs do give a much more stable and secure road feel.
Several years back, my wife had a Tahoe, which was more fun to drive than the Sub, and it towed the boat great, (once I put Deaver springs on the rear to keep it from sagging),so we used it for the shorter trips, but on longer trips we would always take the Suburban for the added room and better highway feel while towing.
Old     (flamike)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2009, 11:10 PM Reply   
My brother had one and we towed his 2 seadoo wakes with no problem. Its no boat but it should do just fine. Plus its a sick truck.
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-22-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
my buddy had a TBSS and that thing towed my boat just fine everytime we when to the lake! go for it when you dont have the boat you will love that thing!!!!!!
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-23-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
either suv will do good. it all depends on how many people will be in there when your towing really. i wouldnt be worried if the SS could tow it cause its a chevy and they can do anything, no matter what the media tells you
Old     (rcombs)      Join Date: May 2009       05-26-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
I've been towing my 07 Vride for 2 years now with my 06 SS. I had an 03 w/ the V6 and the trans couldn't hang. This 06 pulls like a champ! It does have a stiff bumpy ride that I'm not a fan of but from what I've been told there's not much I could do about it!