Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-15-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
Ok, so I know this post wont get as many looks as Andy's but I am wondering what the deal is with Slingshot. I have a pair of 2008 D2 mens CT bindings that I can basically get for free and they are brand new. Just curious of comfort, wear and tear, heel lift. Can someone give me the lowdown on these?

TIA
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-16-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
The D2 are actually one of the most comfortable pair of bindings they ever made in my opinion, thicker inner boots than the D3 or the PB Floyds from 09 and 2010. The only down side to the D2 are the non stainless rivets that rust and fail in about a year or so, but no worries you can go to Home Depot and buy stainless rivets and repair yourself for around $10. Just my personal opinion but these are good bindings.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-16-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
The D2's are super comfortable, and after molding them to your feet they will be super supportive. They put your foot in an athletic stance, unlike most bindings in the market. I have had stress fractures in my fibulas since I broke one of them about 5 or 6 years ago and they would always bother me after riding, but I got these boots about 3 years ago with a continuous rocker board and they hardly ever bother me to the point where I cannot ride at least twice in the same day. I've never had any problems with the rivets like Josh, but I have had the foam material on the base of the boot blow out before, but Slingshot has an excellent warranty on their products.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-16-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Unlike most other boots in the market? What other boots were you riding?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-16-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Unlike most other boots in the market? What other boots were you riding?
Liquid Forces, they put all the weight on your heels, its like they're making boots to blow out your knees. The gas pedal idea for you toes they came up with a while back was a really dumb idea. Ronix is pretty bad too. Look at the link below for Ronix's 2010 boots, the picture shows that they put your heel just as low as you toes. Very poor engineering.

http://blog.the-house.com/product-in...x-clinic-2009/

Having your heels that low not only has negative effects on your ankles, knees, and back but it also decreases balance
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-16-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have never had a problem with Ronix or LF boots forcing my weight onto my heels. Nor have I had problems with any of my joints. Im really not sure what your perception of an "athletic stance" is, but I have yet to wear a pair of bindings from any company that puts me in a non-athletic stance.
Old    mojo            10-16-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
he means a slightly raised area around the ball of your foot. are the RAD boots continuing this design or are they "normal" shoe style foot beds?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-16-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
The new CWB's are some of the first bindings to really advertise a boot that puts your heel higher than your toes putting your foot in an "athletic stance". Look at running shoes and snowboard/ski boots: they almost all have it. Nike Shocks were a very popular shape for nike which clearly force you to put weight over your toes

I don't know if the RAD boots still have that design, but I can tell you they are still very comfortable and more durable, but I have not rode them long enough to know if they put your foot in a correct position
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-18-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
similar in topic. the mention of that ronix boot poic reminds me of another comfort issue i look at boots for is toe padding. ronix has one of the best in that department. CWB has almost half the padding in the toe boxes as ronix does... judging from feel and pics of boots sliced in half.

but this can be remedied with buying a size big and then wearing neo socks.

we will have to see what 2011 brings.
those superfeet inserts in CWB highend boots ought to prove nicely for the stance comfort thing though

i'm excited for the oportunity to try the new slingshhot boots on... and others too
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-19-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
I don't ride Slingshot boards, but think their bindings are absolutely amazing. There is zero heel/toe lift. I mostly ride cable and was getting a good 3-4 ft higher on air tricks. I snapped a base plate one time, but other than that they've been great.
Old     (rapha)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-28-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
hello everybody,

does somebody already know, how the new RAD bindings sizes are?... watson's 2010 bindings fit me well in size 8-9, so what should it be for me with the rad ones? 8 or 9? unfortunatelly i won't have the chance to try them on...

rapha
Old    mojo            11-28-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
FWIW, i tore all the tendons on the top of my foot in some boots that had removable liner. i'd seriously consider a different brand boot. let them figure out what works first.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-28-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Im with R M, I just recently devastated my ankle because of the removable liners in the D2's. it was like ripping my foot through a PVC pipe. not a fun experience.
Old     (SafetyMike)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-28-2010, 9:43 PM Reply   
Definitely not a fan of the D2's either
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-28-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapha View Post
hello everybody,

does somebody already know, how the new RAD bindings sizes are?... watson's 2010 bindings fit me well in size 8-9, so what should it be for me with the rad ones? 8 or 9? unfortunatelly i won't have the chance to try them on...

rapha
Go at least one size down if not two for the RADs... I ride 10 in the D2 and fit into an 8 on the RAD. Someone else I know usually rides a size 10 and got a size 9. So i would suggest going 1-2 sizes down from your shoe size.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-28-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Im with R M, I just recently devastated my ankle because of the removable liners in the D2's. it was like ripping my foot through a PVC pipe. not a fun experience.
I don't get it, What makes you guys so sure the removable liner was the cause and not something else?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-29-2010, 12:18 AM Reply   
well i think the removable liners bc they seam to slip out a lot easier. so my issue when i got them is the ties would never stay tight and i would slip all over inside the boots. seamed dangerous to me. i could just imagine my foot flying out. so i replaced them with laces.. bad idea also. just the liners seamed to be a bad idea in the first place.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-30-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
hmmm like everything, different folks different stokes. too bad it might have hurt ya

The D2 boots (2008 slingshot boots) have the most easily removable liners of any of the boots. They removed the hook-n-loop tape that was in the back of the heel. the previous models and newer models have the velcro.

but then again, the velcro still might not have made the liners as stuck-in as you would have liked. i have heard of some people cutting holes in their liners for the bolts and then gluing the liners in. that might be a remedy for your liking if your are still using the boots
Old     (drew_reynolds)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-01-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
the rads have gotten rid of almost all those concerns. The removable liner does not come out easily at all because it has rubber on the base. It is very difficult to even put the liner in the boot fully without your foot in the liner. The rubber basicaly grips on the back of the boot keeping it in place if it even tries to slip out. I caught a huge edge in my rads the other day, one that would have ripped my foot out of any other boot but everything stayed together. All in all, the rads are sick! Definately get one size smaller than normal as they do run a bit big.