Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Just curious, but I see a lot of boats being compared, but very little mention of the MC X-Star. My impression from articles and seeing it pull the pro riders in competitions is that it would be a highly desireable boat. But, I don't see much mention of it in this forum. I see people salivating over SANs galore. I would think the X-Star would be compared against the top end SAN. Is that not an appropriate comparison? Given the choice, would you choose a new X-Star or a new top end SAN? I'm not buying, but what gives?
Old    sbvfive            07-08-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
Wakeshoe, you did not just do what I think you did.......watch as violence ensues.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-08-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
I would take the new X-star...

then I would sell it, buy a brand new SAN and a brand new truck.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-08-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
x-star is a little steep in price. some people feel they can do a lot better for their money. I personally like malibus but i would take a san.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-08-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
i would buy a mustang convertible & 2005 malibu lsv for a x-star
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
So, not having had any idea, are you all saying that the X-Star is significantly more expensive than a top-end SAN? Like I said, not knowing, I thought they were pretty much in the same price range.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-08-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
Yeah, that's pretty much the deal. I think the MC top end for comparison is the X-2 or similar, but not the X-star. I see a lot of X-5 and x-7 on my lake. I would look hard at the Tige's if I were buying, because CC just doesn't build a boat that fits my size limits.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-08-2004, 6:01 PM Reply   
I was riding with Shane Bonifay 2 weeks ago and we started talking about the new x-stars. He told me that the new X-Star is the biggest inivation in wakeboarding since the twin tip boards! Now coming from a professional rider i take his comments heavily. He told me that all the other pros in Florida come over to ride with him all the time in their X and ditch their Tiges and Natiques. What does that tell you? Why else would tours be using MC's? Having him explain the wake and double ups from the X-Star i am truly convinced and support MC in the wakeboard boat market. If you can afford it i dont see how you go with anything other than the new X. BTW, his second fav. boat to ride behind? X-2!
Score ---
MasterCraft #1 and #2
Natique- Distant 3rd
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
You know what that tells me? Shane is sponsered by Mastercraft and just did a sales job on you. Also the reason MC tows the pro tour is because they pay to do so.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-08-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
they used to pull tours with the pro air when it came out. so that dont mean byerly and murry im sure you will get a different answer.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-08-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
That's strange, last time I was at the Bonifays, they were borrowing Dean Lavelle's SAN to get some quality wake time.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
So, can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a MC X-Star and a top-end SAN? Are we talking $75K versus $65K or is it much different? I really have no idea, but the manufacturer's websites don't offer much help. Is it like if you have to ask, you can't afford it??
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-08-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
ok guys. I am going to clear all of this up. I went riding with Kevin Henshaw, A top contender in the Junior mens division on the PWT. I went riding with him on the Liquid Force trip across america tour. I was astonished how large the super air wake was. It was waiste high with the 3500lbs of ballast. I know most of you are thinking (any boat would have a big wake with that much weight). Well I was very impressed with the wake and told kevin how intimidating it was to someone who is used to a competition ski boat wake. Kevin in the end tells me that he likes his malibu VLX better because the wake is more like a snowboard ramp and has a better transition while the super air wake is too steep. So he rides for malibu VLX but rides the super air with Liquid Force. Maybe he put a sales pitch on me for the VLX (he also said he weights his boat down with 4000lbs+). But...he said the best wake he has ever ridden is a new X-star. He said it unmatched any wake out there. So this guy rides a malibu VLX as his own personal boat, rides a SAN for LF and tore shi* up on it that day, and rides the X-star in competitions. This guy has an unbiased oppinion because he rides different boats for different occasions and is not sponsored by Mastercraft. I have never ridden a VLX or X-star so I really have no say, but I would take his oppinion because of his riding level and boat experience.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2004, 11:00 PM Reply   
You can get an X-Star starting around $57,000. I would guess most SANs price out in the low 50's, never really looked into them. The X-Star does have quite an MSRP sticker shock, but I would guess most go for around $60k +/- for options. If you can get an LSV and a Mustang convertible for that price, I want to see that dealer.
Old    stevenf            07-09-2004, 12:17 AM Reply   
x star with most all the options minus tower speakers and lights. 65K out the door in Tejas
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
the X-star @ the boat show here in houston was $68'995 thats pretty X-pessive. very nice boat thou. thats just too much money. why doesnt someone post a wake pic side by side w a san? same camera, photographer, same spot in the boat w/ the same weight.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-09-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
I've ridden all 3 (X-Star, SAN, and VLX) and my personal opinion is this: SAN puts out the nicest wake on the water, Wakesetter is a comparable boat for a better price, X-Star has the cool factor but is overpriced. Agreed, Shane Bonifay is definately going to sell you on the boat Mastercraft gives him, guess what, Parks would do the same thing. I had a guy sponsored by Centurion try the same thing on me. Here's some more perspective for ya, Herb Obrien keeps a SAN up at Radar Lake.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-09-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Why compare a new SANTE to an X-Star. Nothing has changed on the SANTE since 2002. Price a 2002 SANTE against an X-Star and you will see a definate difference in cost. I priced both a SANTE and an X-Star at the February boat shows. The difference in price between both the boats configured the same was $4000. (The X-Star was $4000 more.) I chose the X-Star. I flip my boat often and was more confident the Mastercraft would hold its value over the Correct Craft. My other reason was I couldn't see paying top dollar for a boat that was essentially the same as the 2002 and 2003 models and I'm not too sure my local CC dealer would have been happy when I showed up with a low hour, out of state boat.

The wake shapes are definately different. Took a while to get used to the X-Star wake but now I go bigger than I ever have. The X-Star truely shines when you have a boat full of people. I've had nine people on the boat along with nine wakeboards, two surfboards, and a wakeskate. All the boards where either on the racks or stowed (and easy to retreive) with no clutter on the boat and everyone having enough room to sit without touching anyone else.

If you are wanting a less expensive version of the X-Star, order an X-45. The X-45 is a 21' version of the X-Star which I believe will be in the same price range as a SANTE.

Anyone know if Correct Craft is coming out with any new boats? Have the 211 and 226 been popular on the lakes?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
I ride behind a new X-Star from time to time. Have spent time in a SAN, X-2, VLX, SSV, 24V, etc, etc. I can honestly say that the X-star shines in storage and space. We had 6 people all in the back, factory ballast, full gas tank, and a FULL cooler in each v-drive compartment. The wake was a nice shape, and pretty big, but have seen bigger.
I remember the talk about dunking the nose on the new X a while back. I saw it happen three times, even with an experienced driver at the helm. If you're not paying attention, you'll have that.
I like the boat, but would choose an X-2 over it. Of course that's if I was an MC kinda guy
Old    ilovetrains            07-09-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
Getting away from the wake for a second, the size of the X-star is kinda, well, weird. Sitting next to an X-30 on the dealer lot I thought it would be bigger, but the seating area behind the helm is actually less. The bow on the other hand is huge. It is a little awkward for a family boat (some of us are looking from that perspective.)

With that said it is huge next to SAN (which is the 210, at least a foot shorter, not as deep, etc.) and also the VLX.

The X-star looked to me to be in between in size, not as big as a 226 or X-30, but not as small as other mentioned. I think this is this boats forte, more room while still performing the role of the smaller boats.

Price is subjective, seams to be coming down as production catches demand.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-09-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
*biting tongue*
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-09-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
pepsi or coke?
chevy or ford?
Mercruiser or volvo?
republicans or democrats?
Disney or warner?
Florida or california?
Mc Donalds or burguer king?
Mastercraft or Nautiques?
It all comes down to personal preference guys.
Old     (redram9873)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-09-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
I was in Fla last month and rode with Watson, he claimed that he liked the Xstar alot. To tell you the truth I own a 04 Xstar and it's GREAT, wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market and I have ridden behind them all, but the pros are paid to tell you that their sponsors are the best and all that good stuff. The best thing is to ride them all figure out what you like and what you can afford. Resale value SAN and Mastercraft are going to be the best. And why is this such a BIG DEAL?
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
OK, I started this just to find out if a comparison of an X-Star was realistic to a top-end SAN, having no experience with either. I was just curious why this BB seemed to be centered on Malibus and SANs as the top end with some mention of X-2s and X-9s. My intent was to see if the comparison I suggested was not an apples-to-apples type of comparison. It was not intended to be a "whose boat was best" comparison, but what boats are legitimate to compare. For example, I have a 2004 Mobius LSV that I very much am satisfied, but I would never compare that to a top end SAN - not in the same class. So, from what I have read I still am not 100% certain what class boats you would consider if you were entertaining an X-Star type boat. Is the X-Star the most expensive of all wake boats? (Scott Verillo, you are indeed prescient!
Old     (redram9873)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-11-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
If you are looking for the boats to compare you have to figure out what you are going to compare them by? Length and size you would be comparing the Xstar to the new 23 ft Malibu. Cost wise you would compare the SAN to the Xstar. However the SAN would be compared to the X-2 in size so nomatter how you look at this it can get out of hand. In terms of price if you do an Xstar and a SANTE the same way the Xstar would be about $4000 more, give or take a little. Wakeshoe, the reason that the Xstar is not really compared to the others right now is that it is new and there is still the misconception that it cost alot more then the other boats when in all reality it is very close in price to the SAN and other highend boats.
Old    triplexracing            07-11-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
ok where can i see a x-45? never heard of that one yet
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-11-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
No kidding.. Show me the X-45!

Old    bobbrock            07-11-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
I had a 2000 x-star and was considering the new model. I went witt the malibou 23 lsv. Lots more room for people and other comforts. The x-star is great to go out with 3 IMHO.
Old    sonicr1            07-12-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
X-45 is mentioned here:

http://mymastercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158

"New model: MariStar 245/X-45

This is a pickle forked boat with a vented hull design. I have not seen a “production” boat but have seen the prototypes and have pictures. This is the coolest boat MC has ever built (yep…I like it better than the X-Star). The dash and side consol for the driver has to be seen to be appreciated. At 24’ long it fills a void in our line. Snap out carpet, twin sun pads (ala 280) built in removable cooler the list goes on and on. The boat has run test passes over 50mph (vented hull design) and the pro riders that have ridden behind it are raving about how “sharp” the lip on the wake is. Best news…currently it is priced between the 230/X30 and the X-Star (this may change as they build a “production” boat but lets hope not)…making it a real bargain in my estimation. Not sure when we will get our first shipment of these, best guess is early fall (dealers with fall boat shows will take priority). "

oh, and here is a post with a pic:

http://mymastercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167

(Message edited by sonicr1 on July 12, 2004)
Old    thekuz            07-12-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
That's odd. I was riding with Parks, Watson, Ruck, JD, Byerly, Shane and Tino and they all think Bayliner is the best boat by far. It throws the wickedset wake on the water!!!
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-12-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
It's a well known fact that Boston Whaler throws the fattest wake on the water, end of discussion.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-13-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
hey guys,
no matter how big the wake is, you still need skillz. Thats why i like MC's ad that says 'boats for sale, skillz are not.' It is true. I love seeing kids with rich daddys and mid life crisis 40 year olds buy expensive wakeboarding boats and can't even jump the wake. I know the sport isn't about being awesome but having fun. But I think it is very poser like to own a 50g boat and not even jump the wake. I have a ski boat and am better then everyone on the lake around here who has awesome boats.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2004, 12:02 AM Reply   
So us skiers should call you a poser for owning a ski boat???????
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
Skiers still exist?
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Little bitter Leo? Maybe less time on the lake and more time earning money and you too might be able to have a nice boat.

Don't be a hater...
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-14-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
kook
Old    ag4ever            07-14-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Call me poser No. 1.

I have a SANTE, and bought it before I had a wakeboard. heck I owned it for over a year before buying a wakeboard.

We got the SANTE instead of a SN because my wife wanted the interior space, and did not want the engine in the middle of the boat.

Good thing I have money, and can be a poser.

I guess to make it complete, I should have talked my daddy into buying it, but since I am about to turn 30, I doubt he would have taken me too serious, especially since the wife and I are doing fairly well on our own.

BTW, I still can't go W2W since I spend most of my water time on my airchair. Damn, does that disqualify me as a poser since I had the airchair since I got the boat?

BTW, I also ski behind my SANTE. Just wanted to add more fuel to your fire Leo.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHA
No man, you are not the biggest poser. The best was watching people fish off their SANTE or a malibu VLX pulling two tubes from a tower. That goes down as the biggest posers. At least you have an airchair. Not as cool as wakeboarding, but I will give you some props for wanting to go big.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
Whit, you sound like the hater man. I wasnt saying owning a nice boat was bad. I was just saying that you shouldn't buy the V-Drive wakeboard edition if you are not somewhat serious about the sport. I will soon own a used malibu VLX. In my oppinion it is a dream come true. Its not going to be a 2005 with a $3000 stereo, but it is a nice wakeboard boat and at one point was worth quite a bit of money. But I guess I am bitter since I can't get whatever I want when I want. Nice things come to those who wait...or at least i hope.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-14-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
A guy on our lake just bought a brand new supra launch (fully loaded) everything on it. It was a demo boat so its pretty tricked out. The day the guy bought it, he made the dealer there take all the ballast out and the board racks off. Me and my friends couldn't believe this. On top of it, we usually hang around certain coves to wakeboard, and he likes to come back there while we're wakeboarding and pull tubbers.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 6:53 PM Reply   
hahahaha, that is funny. i think some people seriously buy inboard or v-drive boats just because of the luxury and powerful engines...even if they are specifically for wakeboarding. Wakeboard and ski boats have huge engines (310-375 hp) with the best interior compared to any I/O boat. Plus if it is good enough for a pro wakeboarder then it is good enough for an extreme tuber!!!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
I have still not seen an inboard company with a build quality compared to Cobalt, so I would say that argument can stop there. I think a lot of people do like the handling of the boats, plus some people like the looks. I don't see what the big deal is, if you have the money and that's what you want, buy it. Why do single guys buy SUVs? They like them, that simple.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-14-2004, 7:38 PM Reply   
I'd argue that one, Nick. My CC dealer carried Cobalt up until this spring, Cobalt good, CC better in build quality.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-14-2004, 8:52 PM Reply   
I would to, I definetley like my interior of my boat, and quality compared to a 21' cobalt. I don't think its a big deal, I just think its a waste of money for someone to buy a tricked out wakeboarding boat and then start taking stuff off of it. Why wouldn't he just buy a supra V drive without the tower and ballast. Oh well it doesn't matter, i just think its kind of funny
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
why even keep the tower...because you are not supposed to tow tubes with? why even keep the hull, why not trade the hull with a supra ski hull so the wake is cleaner. why even keep the boat... why not just get a boat made for extreme tubing, that would be sickkkkkkk off da hizz hook. i will stop now.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
why even keep the tower...because you are not supposed to tow tubes with? why even keep the hull, why not trade the hull with a supra ski hull so the wake is cleaner. why even keep the boat... why not just get a boat made for extreme tubing, that would be sickkkkkkk off da hizz hook. i will stop now.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
Just for the record, I sold my Cobalt and bought a SAN. I don't build boats and am not an engineer...so I am no expert on the subject. But for my money, the Cobalt is a MUCH more luxurious boat. In fact, it isn't even close. But I think that is their objective, Correct Craft is more concerned in building a tow boat. .....just an opinion.

E.J.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-15-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
I have never owned a Cobalt and have not even ridden in a non tournament ski/wake boat in probably 6 years, but I agree with EJ. Cobalt is definately the best thing to ever come out of Kansas!.....other than maybe the K-State Wildcats.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-16-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
I agree with Nick and EJ. I worked at a marina that sold Cobalts. We took them out all the time. They are a ton more luxurious than ski/wakeboard boats. Not that MCs, Sans,and the rest are not made well. Just not as plush.