Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2018, 6:34 PM Reply   
I don't want to break the bank but looking for a good board that I can surf and maybe do some basic spins. Own a broadcast and a happy pill. The odd thing is that I struggle riding rope less on pill. For some reason seems slow.
I need recommendations please.
thanks
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2018, 6:38 PM Reply   
Oh yeah. Riding behind a Sanger v210 with mission delta and 1500+ pounds. Wake is very nice. steep with great Curl but not super long. Have ridden other boats with great wakes and saw mostly same issue including new wakesetter with oaboit 2500 pounds.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-26-2018, 8:09 PM Reply   
you can add some weight up front for a longer wave and pocket. what speed? could be going a tad slow for the amount of weight you're running

not sure on boards that size...
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2018, 8:42 PM Reply   
10.5 to 11. Boat is very narrow and very low profile. In fact it takes a little more experienced driver not to take water over the back when were surfing and we stop and there has been a time or two when we have had water stream over the top of the clam shells in the back when we are loaded with people and my buddy turned the wrong direction to spin around
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2018, 8:43 PM Reply   
10.5 to 11. Boat is very narrow and very low profile. In fact it takes a little more experienced driver not to take water over the back when were surfing and we stop and there has been a time or two when we have had water stream over the top of the clam shells in the back when we are loaded with people and my buddy turned the wrong direction to spin around. Over the back corner of the clam shell storage
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2018, 9:23 AM Reply   
I've got a 230, know exactly what you're talking about! Throws a sick wave and looks great on the water tho!

I find a quick lesson on driving and most usually pick it up pretty quickly. But, I've also seen my own boat dunked while waiting on them to come pick me up. it's a boat, it gets wet.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-27-2018, 2:42 PM Reply   
I'm your weight and ride a 4"10" Soulcraft Blunt Nose Honu from a few years back. Works very well on my boat with the wave I'm putting out. There's really 3 factors to take in to consideration. Wave size and skill level which all help determine what size board you can get away with.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2018, 6:18 AM Reply   
You are pretty much in the meat and potatoes for many boards. The pill has been around awhile and varies in construction from compression molded to earlier glass up versions. It wouldn't make it on the list of fast or responsive boards. It is a fun board, a cruiser style for a wide range of weights. What size is it? You could consider different fins and see if that helps or there are lots of boards built for speed and responsiveness out there.

Nick
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-28-2018, 2:44 PM Reply   
Thanks guiys. happy pill 4'10" which i think I am going to sell. I had fun riding a buddies happy pill behind his malibu with an absolutely monstrous wave. I believe about 3k in ballast. Behind out boat and another buddies with great wakes i cannot do what i could do on the broadcast. I think the happy pill is going up for sale and it is practically brand new. After a lot of research i think I might settle in on a Inland Tako.

Thank you
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       06-30-2018, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have a Tako, great board for the price. I'm 240 and can ride it fine, you'll like it for sure.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-02-2018, 7:30 PM Reply   
Going to buy one but the katana was also recommended in the 4'10". Anyone ride it?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-02-2018, 9:05 PM Reply   
Katana is junk. I fix around 8 a year because the fin plugs break out. There is literally nothing but hopes and prayers holding the plugs in the board.
This is true of a bunch of low end chinese boards. terrible, just terrible work. I am amazed people buy these boards.

Nick
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2018, 10:31 PM Reply   
Definitely don’t get a katana. What Nick said about the construction is right, plus it does not ride well.

For a guy your size and the kind of surfing you want to do I highly recommend the Captain by Victoria Wakesurf. It was designed specifically for guys like you. It is super easy to ride and you will probably never out progress it.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-04-2018, 9:17 PM Reply   
Thank you
Old     (icanski2)      Join Date: Apr 2016 Location: Mansfield, Tx       07-08-2018, 12:02 AM Reply   
I'm around 6' and about one Happy Meal away from 235 myself and I have a P5 59" Trident, and a brand new P5 55" Hammerhead Eclipse LTD. They both work well behind my Malibu 22 VLX with full stock ballasts, and extra 800's in the rear around 1/2-3/4 full. The Hammerhead spins like crazy but I haven't mastered how to make it accelerate like the Trident. They both launch good. I run the Trident with only a single two inch fin and it is easy to spin as well. I also have a 51' Slingshot Butterbar that doesn't suck, but I like the Trident a lot more so I never ride it. I just got the Hammerhead and I'm hoping to learn how to drive it a lot better because I can see how much fun it can be be on the rare occasions when I accidentally do something right on it.