Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-03-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
anybody done this? I've done P90X, but my wife wants something a little more cardio based. Is this good?
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-03-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
My wife, who is in Iraq, is doing it and she said it has a lot of plyometrics. I will ask her more the next time I talk to her.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
I finished Insanity 2 weeks ago. There is a ton of cardio. My calves were shot after day 1, but they got used to it after a few days. My goal with insanity was to build up my body as a whole, but I hate lifting weights. I dropped from 10% body fat to about 8%, lost a little in my waist and gained in my leg, arm and neck measurements.

Before Insanity, I ran 8-10 miles a day at a 6 min pace. I wanted a workout with intervals to replicate hockey. Insanity uses intervals, putting you to your max for 3 minutes and then giving you 30 sec of rest.

Yes, there's a lot of plyometrics. You don't need anything but about a 10' x 10' space, a towel and a ton of water. No weights needed.

I can't wait for Shaun to come out with Insanity 2. He's a 180 in attitude from Tony in P90x, which I like. Tony annoyed me. I highly recommend it, but I warn you, it's tough!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-03-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
it"s very tough
I didn't enjoy it at all, but i didn't supplement with weights either

I felt like I lost some muscle definition

I am starting another round of P90X tomorrow and I will add some insanity

to clarify....I am an old guy and insanity was very hard on my joints

it doesn't give you a break with changing things up the way P90X does. It's high impact every day. My feet, ankles and hips were always wanting a day off......
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-04-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
Like Cliff, I didn't like it. I tried it for two weeks, and threw in the towel. You need really good shock abosrbing shoes and a soft surface to do it on. It was a little to "intense" for me. I thought p90 was much easier.

As long as your wife is in really good shape, she may like it?? It's high impact. This is definately not a beginner's type workout program. The warmups left me winded.

why not try the lean version of P90x?

With that said I still supplement my normal workouts with some cardio from insanity ( only 20-30min)
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-05-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
I was thinking of it too. I have a runner's body and can run a 5k in 20min flat but want to tone up a bit more. I'm fine with cardio, but not sure of all the squats and leaps on my knees? Anybody want to post what the warmup is like or even go as far as a good workout?

I can run long and hard outside 2 days in a row then need a rebuild day for my knees/shins; on a treadmill I can take 3 days in a row; after a run I hit 3 machines for some upper body help and rotate machines each day.

My downfall is I haven't changed my diet much. I love carbs, but at least my portions are small. I'm 35yrs old, 5'10 and 152lbs and drink beer once a week
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-05-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
I just started Crossfit at Crossfit Southwest.

when you join they give you a pamphlet about Rhabdomyolysis.

Getting Fit, Even if It Kills You!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-05-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
I loaded a few of the DVD's on my laptop to take on the road. If you have an FTP site I can upload one...it's close to 300 mb.

5 min into the warmup had me out of breath, lol
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
I am in my 2 week of Insanity and loving it! After this round I will be going to a P90X/Insanity hybrid. Are you guys taking any supplaments in your diet? If so witch ones are working?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
For energy and focus I really like Oxy elite pro. be warned.....even 1/2 the dosage for me is almost to much. It's marketed as a fat burner I think.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-26-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
hey Shon, I take GNC's mega men extreme athlete vitamins. I also sometimes take the controversial Novedex XT. Last year, I took Mitotropin 30day pre-contest compound. That really got me ripped. I do drink the recovery drink daily. I know that a lot of guys don't like the hardcore supplements, but I figure that since I don't drink much anymore, I need something that will destroy my liver.......insert eye rolling emoticon....
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
Yeah I drink the recovery drink as well. I also take the P90X peak Health Multi Vitamin, and drink Shakeology. Those 3 have done wonders! I like the P90X vtamin because its focus is toward very active people, and it has a bit more of what you need then others mentioned. Have you guys tried these?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-26-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
which flavor of Shakeology do you like? do you add fruit?
I also take the Beachbody joint support formula. It helps with the aches and pains of middle age....
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
They are both awesome! Sometimes I do mix fruit but its great by itself. I also take the joint support. Its a great product!
Old    alanp            05-26-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
im in my 5th week of insanity. im also doing the p90x weight program too. this replaces all the cardio. its pure cardio imo and i wouldnt depend on it for muscle gains so it would be perfect for your wife. she should have a good cardio base first tho otherwise she will probably just do the warm up and quit. its that difficult(but it gets easier)
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
I a more of a Crossfit guy and just started back up. Wondering if any of you have had success with weight loss pills or some kind of fat burners in conjunction with workout? I have lost lots of weight in the past naturally so I know the basic formulas, so just looking for a little extra. Any successes?
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-27-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Insanity is tough! Did a full round and liked it but missed my P90X, I started up a round of the X this week, but I will sub in Insanity workouts periodically for Cardio.

Buff--I have used the P90X fat burner and green tea pills do they work who really knows? I had so much to lose back when I started I think I would of done the same with out. Doesn't hurt though.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-27-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
I used Hydroxycut for awhile. I think it helped. I was in a bet to lose 30lbs, so i wanted extra boost so I included hydroxycut along with my workouts and diet. I lost the 30 in 7 weeks. But I was also running and working out daily and significantly reduced my calorie intake, so I can't say for sure it contributed, but I would guess it had some affect...
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Alan, I have to disagree with you. I think Insanity offers great resistance training. Yes it does just use body weight, but I have to say I feel great, and am feeling as strong if not stronger then when I did P90X.

Doug, Good to see you are still plugging away!

Last edited by shon_g; 05-27-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-01-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
venevol or oxy elite pro are some of the best fatburners out right now IMO. google them and read reviews or go to your local supplement shop (not GNC)