Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-02-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
For snacks I like to eat either hard boiled eggs, almonds, rice cakes or any other flavor of a protein bar.

One other thing I like to take before an intense cardio session or power yoga is a GU pack. That seems to keep me fueled during hour long work outs. Suppose to help with recovery too. http://guenergy.com/products/gu-energy-gel

Coconut water sounds interesting too.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Did chest and arms this morning. Wasn't as bad as the first two days, but I didn't have the appropriate amount of weight either. Need to pick up some heavier weights.

Question,

On the days where you have to do a certain workout plus Ab Ripper, is it ok to split those up? Do the main workout in the morning and Ab Ripper in the evening?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-03-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Legs and back kicked my arse last night! First time I didnt have the mustard to do ab ripper. I will try to do it tonight after kenpo to stay on track.
I was looking at my calander today and noticed that I have some issues with being gone for a couple of days. What do you guys do when you miss a day or two?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-03-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
doing ab ripper later is fine

I find myself buzzing through ab ripper

when I go Tony's pace, I get a much better workout
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
B, Shawn, try what I do guys. It has been noted/proven that individuals, and/or gym rats who work their abs before a workout will get a more efficient abdominal workout. This is semi common sense knowing that you have a full battery and you wont be "lazy" or worn out after your workout to do abs. Working out your abs is crucial as they are the core of your thoracic and abdominal region. Studies do show, that people with a weak core and weak abdominals have chronic lower back pain.

Anyhow, I am doing doubles right now and its killing me but Im finally getting slim back on after my heavy bulking. Lovin the results.

Try doing ab ripper before any of the workouts and then by the time you start the actual workout you are already warmed up, blood pumping and excited! And when you finish the workout...you're done done!!!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Thanks Eder. I may give that a try. I'll probably be crying by the end, but hey, that's what it takes. :-)
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Thats a good way to put it. Its sooo much easier to see the end of the full workout knowing that you only have 20 min left. But a lot harder to start a new one for 20 min once your an hour+ in. I will start that tonight. I am going to punch the of the air tonight!
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
"people with a weak core and weak abdominals have chronic lower back pain."

I have had lower back pain for over twenty years now. once a year I have major spasms that knock me out of commission for 3 days min. during ab ripper, I can't get through the first few exercises, and also the last one because of the lower back pain. for those of you who have lower back pain during ab workouts, does it eventually go away as your core gets stronger?

I started my cycle over again on monday after a layoff of about a year. with more time now, I am hoping for better results.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-03-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I don't know how tall you are, but we tall guys typically have to modify ab/core stuff depending on the exercise. Our legs are just much longer levers and that can put some serious strain on the lower back. After a couple weeks I usually get to the point where my back is strong enough to keep my legs straight on scissors, but not before, etc.

(Message edited by pesos on February 03, 2010)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-03-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
I'm a midget.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-03-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Train, unless you have some spinal bifida, spondylolisthesis or any degenerative spinal condition lower back pain is, more than likely, due to a lack of a strong abdomen. Simply put, imagine your spine as a 180 degree straight line, and if one side is getting yanked on harder than the other, then your spine is no longer in equilibrium and eventually you will suffer from lbp. However, not all lbp is due to a weak core. Nonetheless, a strong core will usually always get rid of lbp very similar to how weaker individuals complain of wrist pain thinking they are weak and frail but when the musculature around their wrist and bony composition (Wolffs Law) comes into play after working out, the wrist pain is gone. I can assure you that most of what I said is not fallible but rather factual. I am a physical therapy student so I deal with said case studies a lot.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-03-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
I'm doing a lot of different stuff. Gym training, running, martial arts....

P90X still represents the standard of how hard I should be training. Occassionally I throw in a disk and knock out a quick workout if I'm pressed for time.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
I agree with everything Eder said. I also found that a lot of my clients back pains were due to problems with pelvis alignment.

The problem I discoverd later on with Ab Ripper X is that it's a lot hip flexor exerises. Remember.....abs really only move the spine into flexion (curve the back). At the point where your lower back leaves the floor (hips move) you're recruiting your hip flexors to lift you up. Still part of the core, but now your abs are holding your spine in flexion and your hip flexors become the "mover" of the exercise. A LOT of the ARX exercises hit the hip flexors. That's why they're fatigued and burning by the time you're done with bicycles.

Over working the hip flexors will pull your pelvis out of alignment. Just like Eder said, you're strengthening the muscles on one side and pulling things out of alignment. Strong, tight (or shortened) hip flexors will move your pelvis into anterior tilt. (Butt sticking up in the air) Now you have to arch your lower back to stand up straight, run, or walk. This can lead to Lordosis and cause disk pressure.

I too had lower back pain for years. This is what worked for me:

1. Determine if your hip flexors are tight, if so, stretch the hell out of them every day. Do the same for the glutes.

2. Make sure your glutes are equally as strong as your hip flexors. Glutes are the key to a strong back in bent-over positions, squating, etc.... If your quads burn like crazy when you lunge and squat, you probably have underactive/ weak glutes, and this could be a cause of your back pain. If your lower back fatigues during bent over exercises, this is probably also weak glutes.

3.Like Eder said, build strong abs to support the spine, and just as importantly, the obliques. The obliques also stabilize the pelivs and hold it in alignment.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
If I knew where half of those muscles were, I'd probably be pretty fit by now! :-)

Did yoga this morning. Probably completed 50% or so of the time they were doing, but I did go all the way through the video. No way I'm anywhere near as flexible as any of them. But it will come in time and I think it's a good video to follow. I need the flexibility, so I'll keep with it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
well since yoga was a waste to me last time, I am going to add a second day of the stretch video on that day. hopefully that will help with the pain and tightness.
my hip flexors are way too tight as well, so I think I can benefit greatly from the additional stretching. I can add yoga back in the next round.
thanks.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
Considering giving this a try. My GF and I work out together most of the time (she does pilates and sometimes yoga on her own) and she has been interested in it too. Here's what we generally do now.

-Try and hit the gym for weights 3 days a week, usually ends up being more like 2 though. Also work in abs 1-2 times a week while at the gym.

-I play soccer 2 days a week and try and plan my workouts around that so that I'm as fresh as possible for the games. This is my cardio mainly

-maybe work another day of cardio in - either stairclimber at the gym or go kick the soccer ball around for a bit. Sometimes I'm too sore from soccer and end up taking it easy.

What all do you need to buy? I know there's the pull up bar, but are weights a necessity? I've looked around at some dumbbells and they are freaking expensive!

Thanks!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-04-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
J-rod is on the money. In lahemn's terms lets just keep it at, if you're pulling you must push! Therefore, if you're bench pressing one day, another day make sure you're doing rows. If on one day you are doing bicep curls, make sure you do tricep extensions. Of course, no one is ever going to be 100% equally as strong everywhere, but reaching a healthy medium is not that hard.

I think its funny/sad when I go to the gym and I see these dudes with huge pecs and anterior delts benching 300+lbs and their backs are as flat as a door.

One must balance their strength, flexibility and agility in every way possible.

Along with the hip flexors - what J rod said is on the money. The scissors and v ups, and in and outs, and all those use your hip flexors. For those of you truly interested, google the iliacus and psoas muscles, those muscles make up your hip flexors. They are very important and highly neglected muscled, sort of like the four muscles that make up the shoulder girdle, whom a lot of people with shoulder problems neglect. Anyhow, without making this an anatomy lecture lets keep it at if you push, make sure you pull and flexibility is much like drinking. Tolerance and enjoyment will come out of it but you just gotta keep at it ;-).

Any other questions I will be happy to answer to the fullest of my knowledge. Otherwise, J-rod knows his junk as well, props!
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Are there areas that you guys think p90x neglects and/or overdoes wrt opposing muscles?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-04-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Wes, Personally, I think that P90 neglects the lower back and hamstrings quite a bit. However, its hard to really hit those areas without a gym. For example, dead lifts are man's best friend. They are a core exercise working everything from your toes to your neck. So having that said, P90 has ppl do dead lifts, which in their case its reaching down to the floor and coming back up.

Hitting hamstrings well without a leg curl machine is also hard. A lunge or a squat will trigger them, but one must remember the the hamstrings are made up of several muscles as well as the quads (4 to be precise). So there is a lot of agonist vs antagonistic stuff going on (one muscle is triggered, the other relaxes, etc) during the leg workouts. So I think that those are some areas that P90 neglects, but are truly hard to target and hit hard without machines or heavy weights.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-04-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
My wife and I went to check out a physical trainer for her. Long story short when the guy asked for 8K for 6 months of training we left. Don't get me wrong it would have been the best thing for her, there is just NO WAY we can spend that kind of cash when a standard gym memebership for her is $40/month. I went with her during the "consult" and I started talking with him about starting p90x. He said that is what he actually recommends and it is one of his favorite work outs for people to do after his program is complete. He had been awarded the national title of "Bally Trainer of the year" when he was with them a couple of times. I thought that was a pretty good sign.

(Message edited by mnwakerider on February 04, 2010)
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-04-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
JB, if you can find a good trainer, it's worth the assessment. 2-3 sessions can usually uncover the problems. Everyone has them. Learn the corrective exercises and move on. I would avoid gym trainers and look for a small studio.

Thanks Eder. I wish I would have made it to PT. Ran out of time and money!

In my opinon...Tony doesn't educate the P90Xer on proper alignment and form. Neither does crossfit. Only the obsessed trainer!

A lunge is a serious exercise. MOST people can't do them correctly because of imbalances like overactive/tight quads that dominate the exercise (cyclists beware), weak Glutes (ties back to the tight qauds), or over active adductors (muscles that pull your legs together).

Lunge in front of a mirror, if your knee pulls in, instead of staying in alignment with your 2cd toe, you have these problems. And again, your quads should not burn during squats and lunges.

Most overlooked:

That natural amount of arch in your lower back means your pelvis is in alignment. It should ALWAYS there, no matter what exercise you're doing. If the arch increases or decreases during an exercise, that means you're not able to stabilize the pelvis, or, a tight muscle is pulling on the pelvis as you move. Abs are the only exception.

Example: Scissors...as your leg drops. watch for your lower back to arch. When it does, you're done. Once the abs/obliques are unable to brace the pelvis and hold the back down to the floor, it's now become a hip flexor exercise. As Wes touched on, the leg is just a lever to challenge the abs. When you loose the abs, the exercise is over.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-04-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
steve, you can use bands for the weight lifting days on p90x if you want to stay at home. what i did was just write down a brief description of the exercise on the sheets that you use(come with the program) and then hit the gym with the sheets. no way would i wanna buy all the dumbbells i use.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
I use the bands, but really dont like some of the moves with them. I feel like it is hard to duplicate the actual move sometimes.

On a nice new note I weighed myself after the first week. Totally surprised. 8# down! I think the change in my eating is the biggest deal so far. Now to take that up a notch.
Old    alanp            02-05-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
Legs and back was supposed to be this morning. Caught a cold yesterday and just couldn't get my butt outta bed. Will be doing it as soon as I get home. I hear it's a killer. Yeah! Nothing like limping around all weekend! :-)
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-05-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
John, nice! You will be suprised at how much weight you will loose.If you ate well, your GI track is cleansing yourself and you may have noticed you pissed a lot! Keep drinking water! Drink enough water to maintain you hydrated, not hungry, and satisfied. Studies have shown (here I go again) that about 30% of people who feel hunger at irregular times are actually thirsty. Rule of thumb; if you feel thirsty, you've waited too long!

Anyhow, dont be discouraged if you gain 2-3 lbs in the next week. If you have been relatively sedentary lately and just started hitting it hard, it is a normal physiological response. Too many people get discouraged when they see this gain and dont understand its normal. One must work out for about two weeks before their body gets accustomed and therefore produces extra endorphins which I will leave unnamed for the sake of everyone. These endorphins actually cause satisfaction and a mere addiction to working out. A lot of people call gym rats weird and can never see themselves doing anything like that but the truth of the matter is - JRod, feel free to agree ;-) - is that they are merely addicted, truthfully
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-05-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Yea, I figured I would go up a couple here and there. Like I said before, I am not all that worried about it.

I really hope those endorphins kick in here... I don't dislike working out right now, but I it was what I WANTED to do that would awesome!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
I did Ab Ripper last night. Sore today!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-05-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
"A lot of people call gym rats weird and can never see themselves doing anything like that but the truth of the matter is - JRod, feel free to agree ;-) - is that they are merely addicted, truthfully"

Spot on!

I replaced my nicotine endorphins with physical exercise endorphins eight years ago. Now I find myself addicted to working out similar to when I was chewing tobacco.

You forgot to mention how those of us who are hooked on the endorphins react when we are unable to work out for a few days. Just like any other addiction, you'll become irritable, loaded with nervous energy and easily annoyed.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-05-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
Five days in now, I liked tonights Legs and back workout. I'm getting used to being sore. Tonight, I used my one foot on a chair at an angle to assist in the chin ups. Thought it would be better to get in more reps with good form than to struggle for just a couple.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-05-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
So question for yall. Where and when do you do the exercise? In your livingroom infront of the tv?

And at want time of the day? I really can only workout during lunch at the gym and having my laptop there wouldn't be a good idea

I want to start p90 but instead Iv made my own full Body circuit trainng regiment I'm following. But I'm sure I'm not pushing hard enough
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-05-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
dj for the 3 weight lifting days i just work out at the gym, using the sheets they provide as a guide. no need for a dvd player on those three days. they other three days i work out at the house whenever i can during the day.

i hate to break it to you but if youre not sure youre pushing hard enough, you arent.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-06-2010, 1:43 AM Reply   
So I've been on my second cycle of P90X for three weeks now. I am going to finish up this week and move on to the darkside. My girlfriend and I just challenged my bro to insanity!

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

We may just be feeding money to beachbody, but truly, we are splitting everything all the time and working out together or on different schedules so the We've each spent $100 on these training videos which are awesome! My lady and I have goals, we are going to turn her spare into a gym and do insanity together and push each other to our limits! Its only 60 days instead of 90 and instead of 75 minute workouts they are super intense 35-40 minute workouts, uh oh!

P.S - for those of you who have light weights and bands, and dont think you have enough weight or resistance, try using the light weights AND holding on to the bands at the same time, its brutal!
I'll have to report back once we begin a week from Tomorrow!!!!
Old    alanp            02-06-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   
I am on week 5 Day 1. I was going to drop the 12th week of p90x and take on 6 weeks of insanity. run that right up to my vacation.

Insanity looks brutal, but I like the challenge. So far I have lost 9-11lbs. today is my first workout of phase 2 I am pretty excited to see what i have in store!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-07-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
today is my 3rd day of phase II. I've only lost a couple pounds but my eating is a little off.

Definately getting stronger and leaner though.

I've been subing kenpo out for the entire program. On kenpo days I choose a cardio workout that I like.

This week it's a bootcamp class run at a gym down the street, should be fun!
Old     (cpt_tripps)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-08-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Insanity will truly kick your butt!
I'm not sure how old you guys are, but the high impact everyday but a strain on my old body. but still.....I am going to add some Insanity to my next round of P90X

MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A GREAT PAIR OF SHOES!!!!
you won't regret dropping some coin on a decent pair!

let me know what you guys think of it...
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-08-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
well im off to haiti tomorrow. im scheduled for 40+ days. not expecting to find any kind of gym. looks like ill be restarting p90x when i get back in march. good luck boys!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Good luck Alan,

Travel safe.
Old    alanp            02-08-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Have you guys ever been gone for a weekend or something like that during your 90 days? I have a ski race trip comming up, Friday through sunday type of thing. I can get Friday done in the AM and I can probably pump out Sunday nights late when I get home. But what about the day that I am missing? What do you guys do when life inevitably gets in the way of your routine?

BTW - Week 2 ends today. I havent missed a thing and I am starting to actually see some changes! Biggest differences this time for me are staying with the program and not giving up. Even on some of the days where I am literally cashed halfway throught the workout I still dig deep and get through it. I'm up to around 10-12 (up from 5-7) pull ups depending on the style. I completely cut out soda and even brought a Brita into work and just fill a Nalgene. I try to eat smaller portions and the quality of food is much better (leaner protiens, more rounded meals, better carbs, etc.). I am excited to start the next cycle in another week or so (I never made it past the first three weeks before).
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
If I can't get a workout in I just skip it and move on. I try to add some of the moves I missed into the next day to help make up for lost time. The way I figure it, missing a day is still better than what I was doing before (nothing). Keep up the good work everyone.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-10-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
these are pretty good snacks. and cheap. I sub dark choc. mini chips for raisins

1 1/2 cups oats (I use McCann's Quick Oats)
2 scoops protein powder (I use banana or chocolate)
1 cup nonfat powdered milk (I use Carnation)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup water (more or less depending on your protein powder)
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside. Wisk peanut butter with water and vanilla until smooth, stir into dry ingredients. Fold in raisins. Spray a 8x8 pan and press evenly into the pan (wet hands work well here). Stick in the fridge to let them firm up and then cut into 9 squares. I put them in baggies and store in the freezer until I need one.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 260.0
Calories from Fat 63.0

Fat 7.0 g 11 %
Cholesterol 23.0 mg 8 %
Sodium 125.0 mg 5 %
Carbohydrate 34.0 g 11 %
Dietary Fiber 4.0 g 16 %
Protein 15.0 g 30 %
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
Sunday will complete my second week, Im showing much better form compared to the 1st week. Have lost 5 pounds and my belt has came in one hole. I Need to step up the diet portion of the program. The ab work-out is still a killer for me.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-12-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
abs are still kicking my arse.
I stepped it up a bit though this week.
did Plyo on tuesday, and then ran 2+ miles afterwards. did legs and back today, and then ran 3+ miles.
trying to take advantage of the days where I actually have time to double down a bit.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-12-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
ARX is getting better. First couple I could barely get half way through. Now I can get all 25 reps until scissors.

Today I am sore - which is good, I hadnt felt this sore in a week or so. Today is Plyo after work. Still sticking with it, I am excited for next week when there is a little change in the routine.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-12-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
So the first two times I did p90x I got near week 7 and then got injured (not doing p90x!). So this time I decided I'd start off with the week 5 routine just for gits and shiggles.

Going into week 4 now and my pullups are building well (7-8 at the end of the hour) but pushups are still lagging. I get into the plange pushups and am dying at around 4-5 reps and that's all I can get out in most of the pushup stuff for the rest of the hour.

By the way, I really like doing ARX before the workouts, thanks for the suggestion!

(Message edited by pesos on February 14, 2010)
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-13-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Friday morning I woke up with a bad kink in my neck. My left shoulder is killing me and I have been laying low since. Going to see the chiro tomorrow to get adjusted. Hopefully I can get right back at it.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-14-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Wes - doing ARX before the workout is definitely money. Like John and I said, when you're done with the actual workout, you're done! That's chill you started differently, without getting into "Tony Horton" state of mind, muscle confusion (without digging deep into the physiology of it :-D) is what will make it or break it on a cycle as this one. It is what makes one literally barge through the toughest of workout roadblocks. Simply Amazing...

With that said, I will be starting insanity with the lady tomorrow. I will report back if we're still alive!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-14-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
I'm starting today.

hopefully will finish just in time for wakeboard season.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-14-2010, 7:08 PM Reply   
I finished P90 a long time ago. I think about 2 years ago. Since then, I have been on and off doing workouts on my own, mainly crossfit stuff.

Being injured the past couple months, has put me out of commision for a while. I have done 4 crossfit workouts in the past 2 weeks and am just now starting to get back on a schedule.

In order to stay on a good schedule, I just went and ordered Insanity!! I know I am not in the best shape I have ever been, but I hope I can make it through these videos!! I have always enjoyed endurance / plyo / crossfit type workouts versus weight lifting, so I think I will enjoy this more than P90X.

I will let y'all know how bad it is. Wish me luck.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-15-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
P90X is all the hype these days. I guess it's good for people that need to have a regiment to follow. For me going to the gym on a regular basis and eating right worked out pretty good.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-15-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Oh to be young again.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-15-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Holy Goodness..... INSANITY is Insane! I think I almost cried...oh well...59 more days to go!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-15-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
that's putting it mildly Eder
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-15-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
at 26 I could go to the gym 3x a week and eat cheesburgers and stay ripped....at almost 35 not so much, lol.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2010, 10:49 PM Reply   
Wow, Eder I am thinking of giving Insanity a go a little variety after 6 rounds of X?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-16-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
Eder - did you go from P90x straight to insanity? Like I said, I haven't been able to do much over the past 3 or so months, so I know I am not in the best shape I have ever been in. I am very curious to know if I am getting in way over my head. I guess I will see soon.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-16-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
I went ahead and ordered Insanity, I think it fits me a little better. I still wanna hit the gym for weights, and I love plyos, and there seems to be more of that in Insanity than in P90.
It arrives at the end of the week, we'll see how it goes!
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-16-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Matt, DRA, Steve, I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, nothing like alan tho! I finished my four month bulk cycle which entailed a lot of food and very, very little cardio. So I gained a lot of muscle mass, muscle power, but my muscular endurance and cardiovascular endurance hit rock bottom. I did P90X for four weeks but got bored as hell of it cuz I was in good shape, and frankly, I cant stand Tony Horton. I even took P90 to the gym every day and increased the intensity but it just got too long and too boring.

So, I did P90 for four weeks and just began insanity. Yesterday was only the fit test and it was TOUGH! Today is the first actual workout. The nice thing about insanity is that its really intense but only for 40 minutes at most the first phase, and 45 the second. NO 75 or 90 minute workout and no repeating workouts on the third phase. Good for those who ordered insanity. If you liked P90 and what it did for you, you will love insanity. If you thought P90 was tough, Insanity will be tougher, but much more interesting, more fun, and quicker! Beachbody says that you can burn up to 1000 calories in 40-45 minutes!

We could/should start an insanity thread too! I'd love to see where everyone is at with it as a lot of people seem to be getting over P90 and off to something tougher and more challenging! Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions :-D
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-16-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Great, it's on order and I will start either 3/1 or 3/8 not sure yet.

I think it is good to be a bit nervous about this!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-16-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
Do I drink my recovery drink after ever work out or just on lifting days. Today is my plyo day so do I drink or not.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-16-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
I usually do not do the protein drink on plyo or cardio days. I'm probably wrong though.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-18-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
I drink the recovery drink after every workout
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-18-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
So I had some tournaments that I was a part of this weekend. Meaning I didnt get to my workouts on Friday and Saturday. Pretty bumed about that, but it is my recovery week. Yesterday I ended up doing Core Syndergistics in the AM and then Kenpo in late night. I was pretty happy with both performance and just being able to get both done in a day. I dont know how some of you guys that do the doubles routine survive all of that. Its just so much time! All in all it felt good to stay on track here and not loose the couple of days.
Starting to actually see some changes in my build. I am still only around 4# lost from day 1. But I am not that focused on the weight, its just a good subjective way to see results.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-18-2010, 7:08 PM Reply   
I have a doorway in my garage that is too wide (56") for the p90x bar. What about mounting an 1 1/4 flange on either side and using a galvanized 1 1/4 pipe?

The cons are you don't have the other bars to use, no padding, other? Am I missing anything?

Pros cheap and ready to go with one visit to the hardware store.

Is 1 1/4 the right diameter? Any other issues?

Upload
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-22-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
^ Nah you should be good... you could always just wrap some tape on the bar and you're golden.

Wider is better for some of the workouts... I wish I had that problem.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-22-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
I wish I had that problem also... My damn elbows always hit the door frame on wide front pullups.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-22-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
^ Yup. I had those today... the Chest/Back just wipes me out
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-22-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
I find that its almost impossible to do p90x everyday if your trying to ride a couple times a day. Theres really no way you can fully train on the wakeboard and still have the energy for a p90 6 days a week. I love it though, i think its soo legit
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-22-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure that I strained/pulled my hammy in Kenpo 2 days ago. What do you think I should do, take a couple days off or just work at stretching it and keep on going?
Old     (austin_h)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-22-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Day one starts today for me. The reason I got the program is because of this thread here. Just went shopping last night for the diet and start the first workout as soon as I get home..... On a side note I am quitting smoking today too so I have a rough road ahead. I am hoping the working out will take away some of the desire to smoke. Has anyone else quit smoking because of or along with starting this program?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
sorry to hear that JB
I would try to keep at it at a modified level

don't keep "testing" the hammy, just maneuver around it

welcome aboard Trevor!
I am on the 2nd recovery week
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-23-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
JB, if you've really got a strained hamstring, IMO it's best to lay off it. If your doing p90 , even at a modreate level you could keep aggrevating it. Hamstring/back strains can really be nagging injuires. IMO, p90 really lakcs in the hamstring exercises. Hamstrings are generally weak for the majority of people exercising...weak hamstrings can lead to alot of issues especially dealing with the back.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-23-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
When do you start to "see" results... I've only on day 9 but feel better, but when can you actual see your body changing?... with how intense it is I would guess maybe like week 6
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-23-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
I am just about to finish my first 30 days.I am starting to some results. I have lost around 4-5 pounds, but can really tell that I have put on muscle. I started out pretty chub (5'10" and 218 at first weigh in - I should be more around 195 200 for my build) and I am loosing what I called my "Extra Jimmy" (AKA extra tire). So my stomach and love handles are starting to shrink and starting to see more definition in back and chest. I have heard that the most change comes in the last 30 days or so. Thats when you build up enough muscle mass to really start working off the rest of the fat and get that definition.

Overall what I have heard is you cant work off bad nutrition. The better you eat, the more you will get. That is still my hardest battle...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-23-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
^ me too, I've gotten better but not great as far as food goes... but my biggest switch was going from 1 monster meal a day to like 5 small meals.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
I never thought of p90 as a muscle gaining program. I lost muscle when I did it. It's more fitness/cardio based.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-23-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
From what I have found and read it is designed as a muscle toning and gaining for the average person. If you do more of the low number reps with higher weights it will be that way. They also have a new regiment that is designed to put on more muscle. Check out insanity if you want to cut weight and not put on any muscle.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-23-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
sam - I don't think P90X has enough cardio for me. because of my extra time on my hands, I am doubling up three days a week with a 3 or 5 mile run.
good luck trevor. chew some gum and hopefully the workout will help with cravings as well. stay away from any booze for at least thirty days as well. that will boost your chances of quitting smoking a ton.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
Trevor, how long have you been smoking? You may want ot seek the advice of a doctor before starting. People who have smoked for a long time are limited in the amount of oxygen they can take in? If you were a heavy smoker it could be a serious issue on a program like this.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
just ordered the insanity workout. should be getting it sometime next week. hopefully i can keep up being out of my acl rehab for a couple of months now and have been swimming and running a lot to keep my legs going. anyways i will keep you guys informed on how it goes.

so far since i started writing down what i eat i have lost 10 pounds over the past month. i don't usually burn more than 500 calories a day so i'm hoping to see some similar if not better results with this insanity workout.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-23-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
I'm in my first rest week. Rest week??? My a$$!! :-) Whoever thought of considering Core Synergistics as a rest week workout is nutz! That one was rough. I'm happy with the program so far though. I can already see myself changing and I'm able to keep up better each time I work out. I still can't keep up with them, but I'm getting close!