Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
This year seems that there has been a high rate of thiefs in boats (at least in Nor Cal) There have been many post on here recently of boats and cars being hit in the same area I wakeboard. As I am one of them. About a month ago My boat got ransacked. Well I'm currently trying to replace/fix everything.
Once it is done I'm now a little scared that it will happen again. My boat got hit while it was on a hoist on private property. uggg.. I know a few people on here got their stuff taken.
My point I guess is When your boat is on a hoist in the back of your house, you SHOULD feel safe. Well I dont anymore, and that is messed up. Now I might have to take my boat out of the water everytime i use it, and the hoist is wasted cuz now I dont feel safe. What would you guys do?
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
PUT DINOSAURS IN YOUR BACKYARD, AND PUT RAPTORS CUS THOSE ARE THE SMARTEST MEANEST DINOSAURS EVER, AND TRAIN THEM TO ATTACK THIEVES.

THAT IS WHAT I DID WORKS GREAT, I BREED THEM SO IF YOU WANT THEM JUST LET ME KNOW AND ILL HOOK YOU UP WITH A DEAL.
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-07-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
Put a fence around your house.
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
WITH DINOSAURS INSIDE THE FENCE TO EAT THE THIEVES AND LITTLE KIDS.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
send on over the dinosaurs.... the fence wouldn't work to well on the dock
Old    smellyt            08-07-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
Aaron get a dog, preferably one that bites.

there has been a lot of robberies in my neighborhood, I know, what robbers in almo? But trust me they are there.

Anyways, house lights and my dog have been keeping them under control. My mom saw a couple of them run when they heard our dog. You should get one. I have a German Shepard, that might help too!

Other than that I have no suggestions my friend.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-07-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
Anyone try proximity car alarms (like for convertables)?
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
hmmm
German Shepard or Dinosaur
German Shepard or Dinosaur cmon you would pick a dog over a dinosaur give me a break,KIT KAT BAR

Aaron i didnt say you could have them for free i said i could give you a good deal im not just gonna give you some cmon man.

i got a package 10,000 for everything includes 500 Dinosaurs. and other stuff
Old    smellyt            08-07-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
Lets see:

realistic creature... extinct creature...hmmmm....

which would I chooose?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
proximity alarms are cool. annoying at times, but cool. that is what I put on my 1994 F150 a couple months ago after I had a theft.
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       08-07-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
I agree with proximity alarms and perhaps motion detection lighting. I think I remember seeing an alarm that arms the actual boat cover. Dogs are a great deterrant as well, BUT only if you are ready for a new family member.
Old    jakeman            08-07-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
"tech dream"

if I ever get the time I am going to hook up 5 wireless cameras -one on each corner of my house and one at front door-

view thru tv on video 3
and remote access from any pc
-record all activity on my hard-drive w/ motion sensor to protect the boat that I will probably never have
Old    colleen            08-07-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
I have a security light and when it comes on my rottweiler runs over and guards the toys. I pull my loaded truck/boat in and I have no worries.... Even tho he eats a lot its still cheaper then a camera/security system.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
yeah... a rott and a motion light would do the trick.
Old    smellyt            08-07-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
dude, its all about the German shepards!!!!
Old    leggester            08-07-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
yeah, sure, get a dog that bites. Then let all the neighborhood kids play around him.

Sheesh. Some people's children!

We've had 3 children ( under 9 years old ) mauled and attacked by neighbor's dogs this summer. No, they were not teasing the dogs, they were playing in their own yards when the dogs jumped a fence and attacked them.

Just get a gun and when your alarm goes off start shooting a your boat.

At least a gun has to be aimed.

Old    smellyt            08-07-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
Sorry about the kids, but not all dogs bite.

German shepards can be trained to attack in certain circumstances. Its not that the dog bites that makes the theives run, it is the fact that the dog is barking and waking everyone up that makes them run.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 3:56 PM Reply   
i'm going to just permittly sleep/live in the boat!!! Problem solved
Old    smellyt            08-07-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
Word!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
wonder if i can get high speed internet connection on my boat?
Old    jakeman            08-07-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
Aaron

yes just use a wireless router/nic
w/ a laptop

Old    live2board            08-08-2003, 5:10 PM Reply   
Why not build a boat house that sits over the water or a boat house with ramp to the water that has a winch/rails gig for the boat trailer. Not implying stupidity, but taking 5 to 10 minutes to unload the boat and store your gear somewhere else isn't a bad idea. I do that even when my boat is parked at my house. I know it sucks to have stuff stolen, but that's what insurance is for, don't sweat it you can always replace it. Hope that doesn't sound to ignorant.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-10-2003, 10:27 PM Reply   
Sounds like Brian is made of money ...."I know it sucks to have stuff stolen, but that's what insurance is for, don't sweat it you can always replace it." and "Why not build a boat house that sits over the water or a boat house with ramp to the water that has a winch/rails gig for the boat trailer. Not implying stupidity, but taking 5 to 10 minutes to unload the boat and store your gear somewhere else isn't a bad idea."

Guess what Brian i think he meant his installed equipment, like stereo, got stolen or ransacked.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-11-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
Yeah just stereo and wakeboardig stuff got stolen.. And here the worse part.. if you had like 2K worht of stuff stolen, is it worth claim with insurance... They then either hike up your rates so you lose in the long run. Or they drop you. for a small amount. uggg...
Old    cj7816            08-14-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
Insurance companies are rediculous. What's the point of insurance if you can't file a claim without getting screwed. Like aaron said, you're rates go up or you get dropped. It's stupid
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-14-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
insurance.... Makes you feel better Just in case sh*t happens, but doesn't mean everything will be alright.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-14-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
I would recommend doing something to secure any items on the boat.
Examples:
-First off don't leave boards or any other expensive items that are not attached in the boat. It may be a hassle to walk them up the dock to the house, but loose items are the first to get stolen.
-Second, secure any items such as speakers, racks or lights to the boat better. Again, it may be a hassle and cause having to make some mods to the equipment but it would deter thiefs. Try drilling some small holes in your board racks and locking them with cable locks. Same for the lights and speakers. It takes about 2 minutes to lock those locks each night and to take them off in the morning. Most thiefs are looking for targets of opportunity and anything that slows them down may keep them from bothering.
Also try using security screws or putting JB weld in the screw heads.

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-14-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
very good idea on the security screws... and yes i've been taking out all loose items in the boat... as of now the racks are the easiest things to take