Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (grahamj)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
Has any body else had this problem, when i off load from the trailer the engine stalls , but once its warm it runs fine, it has a ford 351 in it.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-22-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Check the choke on the carb. Sounds like it needs adjusting.
Old     (grahamj)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Ya i was kind of wondering if it was the choke, would bad gas do that too.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-22-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
Carb for sure. It sounds intimidating, but it is really easy. I use to have that same problem. I tuned the carb and it worked all right, but once I had the carb rebuilt it was like a new boat!
Old     (grahamj)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
where did you have the carb rebuit, I might look in to that, and how much?
Old     (blackcreek22)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
I have an 83 2001SN with a 351, and I couldn't agree with nbeihl more. Get the carb rebuilt!! It's been a couple years but I think it was around $150, worth every penny, it'll run like it is supposed to!!
Old     (grahamj)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
Thanks for your guys input, I'll get the carb rebuilt.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-22-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
Carb rebuilds are a good thing, but sometimes it could be as simple as an adjustment. There are three screws that control mixture and idle speed. They need to be adjusted with the boat running in gear, out of gear, and when chopping the throttle. Find the happy medium between them all, and that is where it will run the best.

So now the questions...
When you off load it from the trailer how does it die, slow or fast? In gear or out of gear? When dropping it in gear? How long was the boat warmed up for? Do you keep it a little of idle for at least 20 seconds before trying to put it in gear? How long does it take before it idles normally? Does the engine return to idle normally cold and hot?
We'll start there.
Old     (grahamj)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-23-2007, 4:16 AM Reply   
The motor dies when I put it in gear,not reverse only forward, real fast it doesnt hesitate, I warmed the motor for about 2 minutes? Is that long enough? May be the motor isnt fully warmed up.It takes about 5 minutes before it will run and idle normally.And the motor hot it idles and runs fine.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-23-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
Try turning each mixture screw a 1/4 turn counter clockwise and see what happens.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-23-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
1 idle screw
1 mixture screw on each bowl?

trying to diagnose my own carb issues...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-23-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
Yes Nacho.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
You can try and adjust the carb yourself but...... Not having any experiance with this stuff you'll probley just make it worse. To adjust a carb properly you really need a vacume gauge. If yours hasnt been rebuilt since the boat was new your best bet is just to get it done and let a qualified person adjust it for you.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-23-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
Vacuum gauge? Funny I have never used one for adjusting a carb ever. Now I could see if you said gas analyzer.

With Dell's, Weber's, Zenith's, or any dual or more carb systems we will use a special type of gauge, that allows us to balance the carbs, and it just so happens to be vacuum is the key element. That has nothing to do with most boat carbs though.

Nacho, I should have been more clear. The two screws on the bottom of the carb are actually going into an orifice that controls how much fuel goes into the idle jets. The float bowl(s) just supply the fuel to all the jets in the carb.

Never hesitate to rebuild a carb if it is older. Especially with a boat, where they sit and gum up for months out of the year.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-23-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
My advice is to buy a new carb. I had mine rebuilt and it wirked for a while, now I am getting a new one put on by a professional. I was always messing with the idle, I could only get it not to die with running at a high idle which is bad for the Tranny.

Check for vaccum leaks, you might be able to fix the problem by torqing the intake manifold bolts down. somebody else other than myself should be able to explain how a vaccum leak can be detected or fixed.

I thin it has something to do with once and engine heat ups it looses or gains a vaccum. (Someone help me out here)
Old     (grahamj)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-23-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
I called a boat shop today and they said, that year of boat you have to get the boat to operating temp before it will actually run right, somthing about a marine carb not having a high rev on the choke.