Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
O.k.....
I dont want to make a big deal about this but, just wanted some input.

So we ordered a new boat back in early february... everything we wanted colors/options.

the boat finally came in, and as could be expected I was extremely excited. Well, we pulled up and there it was everything I was hoping for except the hull was not the color we had ordered.

WE had had a few other minor issues with a trade in/consignment, and were becoming slightly uncomfortable with the dealer already.

when We brought this to the dealers attention, they asked us what it would take to make us happy, well they didnt like my request, which was a little extreme, but my wife knows what she wants, and wont settle for less, and of course I am happy if my wife is happy! haha.

Anyways we walked out of there without the boat... just wondering what others in this situation might expect/demand?

At this point, I will have no boat this year as I sold my old boat outright last weekend!
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-14-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
I say good for you. Dont let the dealer jerk you around. If you pay for something that you want, you SHOULD get it. IMO
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-14-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
if color is that important to you then good call. but if not they make the dealer knock a few K off the price. you get a cheaper boat :-)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
What color did you want? And, what color did you get? How much of a discount are they willing to give? It seems to me that there is some discount where you would be willing to accept the different color. There would be for me, unless the color was pink or something.

BTW, when I purchased my home the office asked me to declare in writing three color choices that I hated and three color choices that I loved. Well, the bozos in the office reversed them and my house was scheduled to be painted the colors that I hated. Luckily, however, I was able to reverse this decision before it actually happened.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-14-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
good thing too, you may have ended up with a bright green house with pink shutters and purple flowers.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-14-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
Good decision on taking the walk. If they want to make it right, they will. That's money out of their pocket if you aren't satisfied.
Old    walt            04-14-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
If you ordered color X then you should get color X period !

If your spending that kind of coin get exactly what you want and nothing less.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-14-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
Yeah sounds like your call. I would demand the boat color you ordered or knock the price off to the point it is worthwhile for you. I know there is definitely a price that it could make it very worthwhile for you for re-sale.
Was it a SC mistake or your dealers? If it is SC, they are awesome about taking care of that stuff and I am sure they will discount it to the dealer to make it worth your while... Good luck and just stand your ground. Good discount or the boat you wanted and ordered!!!
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-14-2006, 11:53 PM Reply   
I dont think you over reacted. Like the others say.. I mean you went and orderd one how YOU want it.. if they didnt make it to what YOU wanted. then they make another untill its what you asked for. simple.. they shouldnt screw up liek that, and if they do then it shouldnt be any question to fix it. Period.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-15-2006, 4:30 AM Reply   
ok here is a little more info, we had ordered the hull sandstone, and the interior as well. The interior was right but the hull was not. It was clear to us that it was a dealer miscommunication between sales person and manager(they were pointing fingers at each other in front of us, and I made it clear that i didnt care whos fault it was, Just wanted it made right).

The sales manager did call us back last night and this is what he offered to make it right...

take delivery of the boat, so we have a boat this year, and then an even trade for an 07 next spring in the colors that we want.

what do you all think of that? Is it worth it to continue to pursue with the dealer? My wife is very unhappy and really expects a little more then that...
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-15-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
As long as you're comparing apples to apples, meaning the options you have on the 06 are going to be on the 07, I say go for it... BUT GET IT IN WRITING from someone other than the dealer. Go to SC and have someone who has that ability write it for you.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-15-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
IMO, I think that is a resonable offer from the dealer. It seems that he is trying to make it right, and if I understand the offer correctly, you are getting the use of a boat for free for a year, not counting gas, insurance, etc. The only other deal that would be better would be for the dealer to let you buy the boat now and at the same time, order your new one and when it comes in switch out. Either way, like Scott said, get it in writting.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-15-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
Well, how long would it take to get the boat you ordered?
The deal offered sounds ok, basically using the boat for one season with no depreciation, resale hassel, or '07 price increase.
But, if you or your wife don't like the boat that was delivered, just say no, and have them order the boat you expected.
Old    mplv            04-15-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
that sounds sketchy, what happens if say the color you want isnt available in 07 or the manager thats there now is planning on leaving in a few months? if they are offering you this type of service they are making a very large profit imo, get them to knock a CHUNK of money off or walk away
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-15-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
Sounds good to me put 250 hours on it this year and trade for a new one next year straight up with 0 hours, a no brainer .
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-15-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.

Read the fine print and have exact figures of the amounts. WHat happens if the MSRP of the 07 new boat goes up? You will be on the hook for the difference.What about depreciation of your previous boat? How will that be handled?

Cover all your basis and have it inked.

Question: WHat do you call a boat that has the wrong color scheme or option from the factory called???

Answer: Dealer/Factory Rep demo boat.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
"Go to SC and have someone who has that ability write it for you." This can't and wont happen SC is not selling you the boat. They have influence over the dealer but they can't force them to do it.

The dealers offer sounds very reasonable. Get it in writing from the owner of the dealership. Take the boat and have a good summer!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-15-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
I agree I think that offer sounds super reasonable. Free use of a boat this year that is only slightly off. Get it in writing and go for it. I would pray for that to happen to me every year. I think it is well worth it. The colors are pretty similar to be honest. You will notice it, but I guarantee not one friend notices or comments you you unless you point it out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!!
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-15-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
IMO there are too many things that can go wrong like mplv mentioned,ie: managers leaving & production of the 07' line. Have you considered calling around or even driving a few hours away to a different dealership in another town.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-15-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
I think that is a killer deal he is offering you. If it works out. If they sell the dealership, you are hosed, or the other variables mentioned above, but I think if you get it in writing from the OWNER of the dealership, you'd have to be nuts to not use a boat for free for 1 year. Do you realize how much a boat depreciates in the first year?
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-15-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
I think its a great deal...but if your not paying cash for the boat (which most people don't) what happens to the payments you made on your current boat? taken off the principle of the new boat? Just make sure you get all your numbers in check and get it written up by a third party.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-15-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
One thing to really keep in mind. If you're not paying cash, you have a loan that you will have to pay on, so it's not FREE for a year.

Also, and this is a big one. Even though you can qualify for a loan today and can afford the payments, things might change in your household within the next year making it difficult to qualify for another one when the '07 is ready. They aren't just going to "swap it out" the bank will want all new paperwork for the new boat. If the bank won't qualify you or offers you an interest rate you can no longer afford, that's out of the dealer's control and then you are stuck with a boat you don't want.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-15-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Would you need to pay tax and license on the new one next year? If so, that is an additional 4K to 6K you would have to pay. these are things you need to think about. If you don't have to incur those extra expenses i would say it is a no brainer. Go for it!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
I depends on the state if you trade a boat in in IL there is only tax on the difference. You will have to do licence and again and another loan if the rates go up that would make a difference...Still a good offer
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-15-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
I think the deal sounds too good to be true. Free use of a boat for one year! You must have paid way too much for this boat!

This deal should depend on how you care for the boat and how many hours you put on it. Every scratch and tear pulls the value of that boat down.

My only concern is that in general, I something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-15-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Ya, the sales taxes are a huge factor in this trade.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-15-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
Whatever you decide, Options, taxes, etc...if you are happy with what they offer, GET IT IN WRITING. That cannot be stressed enough. Fairness doesnt involve you not getting what you paid for, they are the ones who failed to deliver....not you.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-15-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
Find another dealer. If they can't even get the color right don't plan on it getting any better. I wouldn't do the 07 trade deal, because I tend to put lots of tweaks and upgrades into my boats. Going through two years of two new boats would be just like being on the promo program = huge hassle.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Personally, I don't think the dealer could handle it any better.

Mistakes happen to everyone in every work environment. It sounds like the dealer is doing everything in their power to make this right. IMO, it is above and beyond.... I'd stick with them.

I will add that I find it a bit surprising that they don't order something in now and give you the dealer demo until that time. We can assume that boats will jump 5+% again next year...

So they give you an '07 boat for '06 prices and take depreciation on the '06 boat.... I am sort of with GD....it almost sounds too good to be true. If it is a square deal, this dealer needs to be recognized for going WELL above and beyond to make a customer happy.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Gordon-I think we talked about your boat and I know the dealer. The sales manager isn't going anywhere, but just in case, be sure to get everything in writing IF you decide on his offer.

OR, get any money you have in it back and call me. I could get you pretty good delivery on a 21V I think.

Sucks to hear this happened, but mistakes can take place in the ordering process.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
As far as a bank is concerned, swapping out an 06 for an 07 only helps the banks position. You still have the loan and the amount isn't going to change. They are just taking on less risk by upgrading to a newer boat. You will have to sign a new note to update the collateral and you will have new filing fees, but they are minimal. As far as sales tax goes, you would be taxed on the difference in value.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-17-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
thanks for your responses guys... I will let you know what we decide. I will be talking to them tomorrow! hopefully we can work something out!}
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-17-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
How about getting creative like the dealer did but the other way... If your wife can ultimately live with the color then how about approaching the dealer and asking to discount the price of the new boat for the difference in price of an 05 vs 06. In essence this is what he is doing for the future (potential) 07. You would be getting an 06 model for an 05 price vs an 07 model for an 06 price. I know you have to run it by your wife but if you go this way you have an immediate solution vs an intangible solution in a year (if everything goes as planned).

In my opinion there are too many variables to actually consider his 06/07 proposal. If you are thinking this route definiteley have a lawyer look over the paperwork and get the Factory involved. With that being said do you have a crystal ball to see what will happen next year. Situations change every day... while we would like to think the same people will be working at this, or any, dealership next year the fact is things change.

Regarding the bank or lending institution, It is very simple...ask them if this practice is acceptable or reasonable.

If you are having an issue with the trade-in (tax savings) and potentially losing that value i would say either take the new boat with a discount (mentioned above) you can both agree on or have them order a new boat and see when they can deliver. You may want to get a Factory Rep involved. You did mention you sold the boat outright but you also mentioned you had the boat on consighment/trade-in??? I know where i am located if you trade-in a $30k boat you would get a tax savings of $1875.

Keep in mind it is your money and you are the customer. It really doesn't matter who didn't relay the information or where the wires got crossed. What matters is how soon you/they get the situation corrected with the weather heating up! It really does sound like he is trying to work with you and mover inventory, make it for your favor (not his).
Old    sanger_sales            04-19-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
gordon sounds like letting you use the boat all year and ordering what you want next year sounds like a good deal to me a new boat every year
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-20-2006, 4:16 AM Reply   
OK.
I am going ahead with the deal,

no additional costs next year(no tax, title or license). In writing backed by the manufacturer and a few other incentives. thanks for all your input!

Now hopefully everything goes smooth so I am not hearing a constant 'I told you so' this time next year from my better/smarter half!

I am going to go pick her up tomorrow!

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on April 20, 2006)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have to say that I think that is AMAZING customer service. WELL ABOVE AND BEYOND. I will say that again, WELL ABOVE AND BEYOND.

I will be the first to say that it is a credit to the dealer as well as Skiers Choice and their willingness to do above what it takes. I take my hat off to both of them.

I will also add, that though I am a CC owner, the customer service that I see from SC on this and the other forum is ALWAYS top notch. Impressive is a good word to describe my thoughts of SC right now.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
I agree.... You should be stoked gordon. Lets see som epics of this free toy you will be using....
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Gordon-got your email too. Way to go, sounds like a good plan and I hope it all works out...get your papers in writing before you drive the boat off the lot, too.

I'll be picking mine up this afternoon, hope it's the right color!!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
I agree.... You should be stoked gordon. Lets see som epics of this free toy you will be using....
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
whooops double post... sorry
Old    timc            04-20-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
"take delivery of the boat, so we have a boat this year, and then an even trade for an 07 next spring in the colors that we want."

You'd be insane not to take that deal.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-20-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
ok guys, got it all taken care of and picked up. Thanks to the advice from many of you it made it easier to make my decision. I went ahead and picked it up today.

Of course I would like to thank Lauderdale Lakes Marina in Elkhorn wisconsin for taking care of me and Of course Skiers Choice for standing behind their dealers. This definately makes it a no-brainer when it comes to recommending either the marina or manufacturer to someone that is looking for great customer service/satisfaction.

Here are some pics
Upload
Upload

Upload

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on April 20, 2006)
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-20-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
It's beautiful!

Now that I have seen it, I think I woulda taken a deep discount. The white on the hull really makes the taupe & black pop. I also like the contrast with the interior too.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
yeah I like... congrats man and enjoy!!! now you need to build a carport for that baby
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-21-2006, 4:48 AM Reply   
we are waiting for a storage unit to open up down by the boat launch!
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-21-2006, 5:03 AM Reply   
nice supra man, my new supra is going to be here in 2-3 weeks i can't wait
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2006, 5:29 AM Reply   
Gordon-I think that looks great!! Classy color combo for sure.
Old    upupnaway            04-21-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
Nice boat.
Props to the dealer for doing such a great job on customer service!